Working w/ Your Spouse

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 18, 2010

Would you ever want to work w/ your spouse? Have any of you ever done it before & if so, how did it go? Comments? :)

I really have no idea if I'd want to or not. It may sound nice at first, but over time, who knows. I never want to get to the point where my husband & I would be sick of each other.

3. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

No, I don't think I could work with my spouse. He, okay, we have very strong opinions. We also work in two very different fields.

I have taught in the same building as my children. It was great with one child, not so great with the other. I had to draw the line between teacher/employee and mommy several times, and in an instant. I like having my work separate from my home life. I also really treasure the alone time in the car to and from work!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2010

Not interested. At all. :)

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2010

We work in such different fields that it would be hard to imagine that we'd work together.

I'd say that we wouldn't do too well. Sometimes the house isn't big enough for the both of us. We need time away from each other.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 18, 2010

My parents taught at the same school until they retired a couple of years ago. The only time it was a problem was when they had side-by-side classrooms. They're both loud, so the two of them would bang on their shared wall constantly to quiet the other down. Things were better after they were moved to different wings.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

We have talked about trying to get my BF an IT job in the schools. I wouldn't mind that because I wouldn't really be working WITH him - we might not even have the same hours all the time - but it would be nice to "accidentally" run into him during the day, or be able to get lunch sometimes. lol

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2010

No. Never.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

Our fields are completely different, but I do not think that I would like to work in the same place with my dh. I like the missing you feel and I am so happy to see that you made it home.

10. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Feb 19, 2010

That would be so strange for me. What would we have to talk about?

Me: "So, what happened at work today?"
    Wife: "Umm, you were there ...."

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 19, 2010

Haha, unbeknownst!

Dh and I have kicked around the idea of working on Sprout full time together. I don't think we could do it at this stage of our lives. He has to work in complete silence, and I need lots of noise-tv/radio. I take lots of short breaks but work loooooong hours, but when he's around, I feel like I'm slacking. Plus it's weird to be together and not just snuggling and talking about fun stuff-it's like I'm ignoring him, but really I'm working, and I need to be working, but I feel bad. We'd have to figure all that out before it could happen.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

I've worked with my husband in 2 different jobs. We met at the first job place we shared together, but worked in 2 separate departments. Then again a couple years ago at another place, but it was the same thing...2 different departments. It was great, I loved it. We got to carpool sometimes, we got to eat lunch together sometimes. Every time one of us told a story about something or someone at work, the other knew what it was all about and all the people in it without having to explain. I really loved working with him!! :eek:)

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2010

I would love it! He's going back to school to become a teacher/coach. Our district is really big on helping out spouses if they are right for the job so we're hoping that he'll get to work at the same school. In fact, my school currently has 3 couples working at it. He's even kidded around that he'd take a job at the other middle school just so we would play against each other in sports. :)

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 20, 2010

I don't think I could work w/ my boyfriend. I mean, I think we would get along fine…. but, I also think we need the time away from each other. It would probably be fine for a while, before we drove one another crazy.

But, I know a lot of my former teachers who work with their spouses. My middle school assistant principal (former science teacher) married another science teacher. One of the HS chemistry teachers is married to one of the HS business teachers. Oh and the HS Italian teacher who is married to a musician …. well that musician is now an English teacher at the HS. I wasn't in the HS when Mr. Hampton joined the faculty-- but everyone else… they seemed to get along pretty well at work.

15. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

I'm not married, but I wouldn't work with my bf. I'll just leave it to say he got transfer to another building after working at company for four years, and no one said good bye or got him a card. (Usually, they throw a party when someone leaves.) :(

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2010

We worked together in college. It is how we met. I suppose that it would be possible for us to work together again. He is an engineer and I have a degree in chemistry. He would drive me crazy because he does not always seem like he is listening to you but he is. He had the same secretary for 23 years. They had been together for as long as we had been married and she had the same trouble with him as I do. The good thing is that we can both read his mind. Since she retired a year ago, he has had 2 secretaries in a year and is thinking about getting rid of the one he has right now. I love him but he is hard to work for and he is looking for someone to measure up to the secretary that retired and I keep telling him that he is not going to find anyone like that.

17. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Feb 20, 2010

My boyfriend and I both teach in the same small school district. He works at the middle school and I work at the elementary school. Works well for us, since we get along with all of our colleagues and it is easy to tell stories about what is going on. Plus we have the same work days, can go to work together, but not even have to see each other. Oh and I should mention that our colleagues at school were the ones to set us up. : )

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 20, 2010

I teach with my husband. It works well. We carpool to work. We sometimes sit together at lunch if there's room at the same table.

19. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

I can't imagine my SO and I ever working together. He doesn't have the patience for the education field so we'd never have the opportunity.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 21, 2010

This made me laugh.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 21, 2010

I could work with my DH. He is a web developer but he would make a wonderful teacher. If he wanted to he would work well with students in grades 5 to 12. I could see him teaching music, history, english or math.

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

I worked with stupid bf at dealership...and hated it so much. I don't like seeing him all the time.

23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2010

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Did I say no. I would hate to work with my husband. I love him but OMG he would be an awful teacher!!!

24. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Feb 21, 2010

My hubby and I taught in the same school for one year. It really wasn't a big deal for us because I was in the science lab and he was in the gym. We didn't even carpool because he always had practice after school while I had to pick up our son.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 21, 2010

We worked together as teenagers, that was when we met. Now? I don't think so. I like the idea of having time apart and we can each share our day with each other (obviously without repeating the same story lol)

26. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

My mom always said don't get your bread and your meat from the same store... Words to live by. :)

27. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

We teach in the same school. Different age groups. It is hard sometimes. I am having trouble with one of his mothers right now that works as an aide in my building. She constantly bad mouths him and it is hard not to put my foot up her tush!

28. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2010

i would have to tell her that I won't take her disrespecting my dh in front of me.

29. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

I don't think I could work with my husband. He wouldn't like my job, and I know I definitely couldn't do his job (currently in Iraq) I don't even think I could the Amazing Race with him. I have such high anxiety and panic attacks and he's so calm and stable that I'm sure by the end of day one he'd be ready to strangle me! He could handle Survivor and other reality shows because of his military background but I can't even stand to go camping!

30. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

Are we married to the same man? :lol: There is no way we could do the Amazing Race. He is such a planner. It would take him an hour to do decide what to do. I on the other hand just go and do. I would have left him at the starting gate. Mine could also do Survivor. He spent time in the military and then as a govt contractor in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Lots of practice surviving in those places. Oh and I don't camp either. If there isnt a place to plug in my hair dryer I aint going.

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 22, 2010

I have...still does. I try to be the bigger person and walk away. It is getting harder.