Working until Dec/22

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by nasimi77, Dec 19, 2006.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

Our school is in session until 12/22. I realize we are hardly the only ones, but honestly it feels like an eternity this week, lol! I was mentally ready to go on vacation last week! We finished up parent-conferences, report cards, and the Christmas program. All of us staff are kind of like, "So...we're here again becaaaaaaaause.....?":rolleyes: I think even our principal now is wishing she'd had us go on break last week. The worst part is I have done ZERO Christmas shopping. *sigh* Ok, I will stop complaining and be grateful for what I have. :D Just wondering if anyone else working up until the 22nd feels this way? I mean, I have fun art/craft things planned, and we are doing SOME academics. However, overall the buzz is at a fever pitch :eek: now and Friday can't get here soon enough. (1/2 day party!):)

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

Wow - I feel for you. Today was our last day and I'm sooooo glad! Hang in there!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2006

We started the first of 3 days of trimester exams today. We're on half days, but the day of your test is a marathon; it's a 26 hour turnaround before report grades are due. (Mine is tomorrow. My husband, who teaches in another school run by the same religious order, has his the same day. Murphy's Law!)

If any of my kids are absent for the test, the makeup is Friday; otherwise I'm done when proctoring ends Thursday afternoon and my grades have been proofed.

I'm done shopping (thank you internet!!! I did almost all of it online!!), but I have to do all the essential wrapping. By the time my oldest is in bed, I'm totally shot. I'm semi-seriously thinking of setting my alarm for 3am on Friday and just getting it done.

So school is fine, but I'm still behind.

5. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

We go until the 21st,we have finals though so not too crazy but nonwe of us want to work. My kids get out tomorrow so I have to pay day care an extra day. the kids at my school get out at noon on Thursday but we have a full day, which if I were a regular ed teacher I would like that gives me time to grade exams and get my grades in the system, but I have 4 students and am giving all my exams tomorrow so we are watching movies on Thursday and I will have nothing to do, well i do but who wants to ARD paperwork the day before holiday break that is what my 2 work days before classes starts is for! LOL Hopefully they will let us go early too.

6. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

Alice, do what do, don't do 3 a.m. For the past 3 days I have set mine and got up at 5 and wrapped or cleaned for an hour then gotten ready. has worked quite well i might keep it up for a while

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2006

I normally get up at 5, so I'm figuring a 2 hour lead. If I don't have to go in on Friday, I'm figuring it might work. I'm a morning person anyway (although I can remember a time when 3am was still the night before:rolleyes: ) so I think I could survive it.

My only real worry is that one of the kids would somehow hear me and wake up. Then I would be up at 3am and STILL have no wrapping done:eek:

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2006

I too work until the 22nd....I personally think that it is crap!

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

Couldn'ta said it better myself!! ;)

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

That's what I'll be doing too Alice. Thank GOD for the Internet indeed!:rolleyes:

11. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Dec 19, 2006

Last day of work tomorrow!! Boy do I need it! Tests all day, but no grades due until the end of January so I have all break to grade them. Happy Holidays everyone!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 19, 2006

NO SHOPPING YET??!!!:eek: I hope you aren't planning on buying much. I stayed out until 3am last Sat/Sun morn to finish mine.

As far as working until the 22...21 would have been better, but I don't mind my 2 week break being done after Christmas because that means it is AFTER all that hectic Christmas tradition stuff (like shopping). More relaxing that way.

On one hand, I'm ready for a break like it is nobody's business. Yet, I still feel like I don't have enough time this week to make it as special and cool as I would like and to get things done with a clean slate.

13. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

14. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

I actually have done a teeny bit of shopping, but as you put it so well not enough to have that nice clean slate. I totally hate rushing during this time of year. I'm just trying to be grateful and thankful for what I have: my health, my family, my job, my faith. Oh, and I'm so stoaked I am a new Auntie this year. :love: Family and friends is really what it's all about....not how many gifts we can rack up, or purchase. I hpe you have a great Christmas!:)

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

You too mnteacherguy! :)

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2006

We are also in school until the 22nd--full day! I know that I will be thankful when we don't have to return until the 8th of January, but this week is brutal--it's getting harder and harder to keep the kids focussed and quiet. 3 more days...3 more days...3 more days...

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 20, 2006

I work till the 22nd too and it is a full day. It is going to be a LONG day, I wish we had at least a 1/2 of day on the 22nd. Oh well

18. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

I don't know how this happens...it seems so strange. Our grade performs a singing holiday program on the 22nd. The parents come and watch, then they are strongly ENCOURAGED to take their children home. I'm a new teacher to this school, and I've never seen anything like it before. I'm expecting a lot of my students to stay, because their parents work and they take the bus to school, but there are some classes that have NO busers. Those teachers will be done by 10am that day, while teachers from other grades have to teach until 1pm!

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2006

You may actually be surprised by how many parents make arrangements to take the rest of the day off of work or to have grandparents/aunts/uncles bring the children home. If the kids know that others will be going home they will really put the pressure on their parents to find a way.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 20, 2006

I think it is so unfair to have school until the 22nd. If you go a certain number of days per year, then what difference does it make? Who runs around the week after New Year's saying, I wish I had more time to ____ ... I don't even know. The week before Christmas, almost everyone needs to shop, wrap, cook, travel, etc. We are all thankful at my school that the principal is a normal human being who realizes what real life is about.

21. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 20, 2006

I agree Upsadaisy. I mean, yes being off until the 8th is nice, but it's the time that I need NOW. I feel for those who said they have a full day on the 22nd. Talk about beating a dead horse. I mean, this week is taking forever. I feel honestly like this is now glorified babysitting, forgive me for saying. :sorry: My principal checked with local districts and supposedly several also got off on the 22nd, mainly our sister high school. However, they changed their calendar last minute to get off on the 20th. :mad: Apparently once a calendar is printed at my school, heaven forbid we would change it.:eek: I guess she figured it was too late since parents already made plans. Still, I find myself feeling quite frustrated about being in session so close to Christmas day. Oh well. 2 more days...well 1 & 1/2 really.

22. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Dec 20, 2006

I am also in school until the 22nd!!! All the other districts around us are already out....makes it hard on my drive to work to see all the empty school parking lots!!! (oh well, we also have a fall break in October that other districts don't have) My kids are completely crazy though, I can barely keep them focused on anything...plus, I haven't had my "walk-thru" for this nine weeks, so I'm sure I will be having that tomorrow!!!!

23. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 21, 2006

Just a 1/2 day left!!!

Tomorrow is Friday, yipppeee!:D I went to Alin Party Supply after work and bought some of those cute holiday plastic baggies and filled them with candy and a cute pencil. We have our classroom party and I'll give them to the kids then. Of my kids' parents owns a Chic-Fil-A restaurant locally, so we are getting "hooked up" with some free grub! :p I'm looking forward to tomorrow, actually...should be fun. Also just glad that vacation time is almost here. I need some rest and re-group time. Hope everyone who's working tomorrow has a great day!!!:love:

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2006

Last day...!

Not sure how many of my special ed kids I'll see today as most have class parties going on and the grade 6-8s have a dance this afternoon. Those who do come will be making cards or decorations, completing a couple of pieces or unfinished work, or helping to tidy the room before the break.

Have a good day all who are working today!

25. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Dec 22, 2006

Whoo Hoooo! We made it! I got out at noon today!

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2006

Congratulations to all of you who worked this week and made it til today. No, put your feet up and rest!

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2006

Hooray! Done! Bittersweet last day, though, because we had to say good-bye to one of our teachers who is assuming a vice-principal position at another school after the holidays. Looking forward to a glass of wine and early into the "jammies" tonight!

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 22, 2006

DONE! Now relaxing and making holiday family phone calls in between these posts. Next will be gift wrapping.

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2006

I will do just that Daisy......after I get my glass of vino! It was a busy but extremely fun day! My favorite time of year to be a teacher! Merry Christmas!:love:

30. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 22, 2006

Ah yes, home at last. :):love: I'm even done with my Christmas shopping, yipppeee! I did a BUNCH on-line last night, and I finished off the job by heading over to Starbuck's & buying some of those cool "big" mugs (like the ones on "Friends") and also a gift card.

We had our morning chapel, and then the class party. The kids were gone by 12:30. I think we are all really glad for the time off now. Congrats to all who made it through this week!!! :)

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2006

I even finished the last big obstacle: WRAPPING!!

Of course, my house is a mess and I have to hit the supermarket tomorrow, but that's OK. At least I can do that stuff with the kids around.

32. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 22, 2006

I'm impressed Alice. Can't say I've gotten that far yet. :)

33. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 22, 2006

I made it - kids til 2:30 today with parties the last hour. My homeroom mom brought lots of sugary food and then tried to get them started on a craft at 2:20!!

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2006

I must've wrapped for 12 hours all told. I had a card table set up and a real system going. I bought way too many gifts for my two kids. The clothes they desperately need, but I have been shopping for months. Any time I'm out, I check the sales and if I see a good buy, I get it. Then I forget what's in the closet. But this is ridiculous. Somehow, I finished wrapping today and my bedroom is back to being a bedroom instead of Santa's workshop.

35. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 22, 2006

It was a LONG day. WE had a great morning but the kids were off the wall in the afternoon. Cant wait to sleep!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2006

Well, I did cheat.

We had trimester exams this week. Today was the makeup day; only those teachers with absentees had to go in. Fortunatley, all my kids were in on Wednesday, so I had today off. My husband, whose school operates under the same schedule, was off too.

So, after my daughter's nursery school Christmas party, I brought her home and they had daddy-daughter day at the mall. That's when I got the bulk of my wrapping done!

37. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 22, 2006

Oh, and last minute shopping is so ....................

We spent 40 minutes at WALMART in the CHECKOUT lane....UGGGHHH! Yet, at Toys R Us, all the checkers were open and we were done in 5 minutes....