Working Summer School:

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anewstart101, Jun 7, 2010.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 7, 2010

This summer I am working summer school with kids I do not know. . . .

we have one prep day and then I get to find out about my students

all I know is I am teaching a Mod-severe kindergarten through second grade

I have never taught summer school

I have no clue what I am walking into kids and so on

What kind of schedule does summer school look like?

School is from 8am to 12pm????

:help:
    I work in a hospital as a teacher during the regular year

What do I need to do to prepare?

I am figuring

8:00-8:15: Names (Identifying first and last or identifying name period)
    8:15-9:00 Opening
    9:00- 9:30 Read Aloud
    Recess or Break
    Fine motor or gross motor activity
    Get ready to go Home

Thanks in advance

Any advice is WELCOMED

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 7, 2010

you may want to look at the unique learning systems free summer curriculum for some ideas on different topcis.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

I'll post my ESY schedule from last year tonight!

I would definitely think about at least a small amount of time devoted to academic/IEP goals.

Schedule looks good- but be reminded that the purpose of ESY is so the kids retain their skills, not just childcare!

5. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

I agree with teachersk - I would defintely include some individualized academics. You should have access to the students' IEP's, or a summer goal sheet of some type listing the skills they are working on. Have you thought about doing rotations at all? That way, you could have students with like needs and skills grouped together and rotate between yourself, an independent activity or break-type activity, and working with an aide (do you get one?)

Don't forget to include bathroom trips! Depending on what you students are working on (toilet training, independence with clothing, handwashing, etc.) this is a great time to work on generalizing and maintainance of skills.

Do you have lunch provided? Otherwise, including a snack is a good time to work on social skills/communication.

Depending on the needs of your students, whole group large or fine motor might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe that is something you could include in your rotation schedule so that you only have 2-3 students at a time? K-2 mod/sev is the population I work with. I really think read-aloud for 30 minutes is a stretch for these guys, especially after a 45 minute opening. Maybe you want to think about breaking it up a little?

Example:

8:00 - 8:15 - Opening group - do some music and movement, hello song, pledge of allegiance, review schedule for day, etc.
    8:15 - 9:00 - Rotations (3 x 15 min each) - you could do 1:1 or small group acadmic work, individual workstations, play/toys or leisure activities, sensory or fine motor activities, story, computer, etc.
    9:00 - 9:15 - Bathroom/Drink Break
    9:15 - 9:30 - Whole Group Calendar or Math Activities
    9:30 - 10:00 - Recess/Gym/Large Motor
    10:00 - 10:15 - Snack/Drink
    10:15 - 11:00 - Rotations
    11:00 - 11:15 -Bathroom Break
    11:15 - 11:30 - Whole Group Story/Literacy Activities
    11:30 - 11:45 - Journal/Notes Home
    11:45 - 12:00 - Closing Group/Good-bye song, pack up, board buses, etc.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

This is the schedule I wrote for my class for this Summer... and is similar to last Summer:
    (the table didn't copy but you can still see the idea of the schedule)

TIME ACTIVITY SUGGESTIONS
    9:30-9:45 Leisure Reading--Students should arrive in the classroom, hang up their backpacks, and choose books to read while other students are arriving.
    9:45-10:15 Morning Focus---- Decide what each student is working for (choice board provided).
    Go through morning focus (calendar/date/president/geography/current events) books (provided) and discuss each page.
    10:15-10:45 Language Arts – Work With Teacher----- Dolch Words, Fry’s Words, Edmark Lessons, Handwriting, Simple Sentences Worksheets, Hooked on Phonics
    10:45-11:00 Snack---- (Parents have been told that they are to send a small, healthy snack each day).
    11:00-11:30 Structured Group Activity or Group Therapy----- Suggested: Social Skills, Playground, Computer Lab, Craft Activity (Focus will be participating in a group and following directions) or OT/Speech
    11:30-12:00 Math – Work With Teacher----- Money, Addition, Number ID, Matching Numbers, Using a Calculator, Menu Math, Tally Marks (see individual skills), Even/Odd, Calendar Math
    12:00-12:30 Classroom Jobs/Daily Notes / Dismissal ------ Clean up classroom, Dismissal Routine and Daily Notes

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

Do you know how many students you are going to have in your class for summer school? In my district, they pack summer school classrooms so tight, there can be anywhere from 15 to 30 kids (moderate/severe) with maybe 1 aide. Which is why I don't do summer school. With this amount of kids it becomes a childcare. :-(

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2010

That's crazy.

In NJ there are laws about how many kids can be in the room.

K-5 classes cannot exceed 6 students. Must have 1 teacher 1 aide for any class over 3.

6-12 classes cannot exceed 9 students. Must have 1 teacher for 3 students, 1 teacher 1 aide for up to 6 students, and 1 teacher 2 aides for up to 9 students.

I am glad they have these rules, as I find even 8 or 9 kids is too many and cannot imagine more than that.

(This is for autistic classes).

9. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jun 8, 2010

We do have some regulations about the regular school year (not summer school):
    preschool (autism) - 12 students,
    elementary school - 8 students (but they're planning to increase the class size), but I know classrooms with 9 and 10 kids,
    middle school - 12 students.
    I don't know about high school.

But summer school is very different. There are pretty much no regulations about it. I agree, it is crazy.

10. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

11. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 9, 2010

Thank you!

12. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

I got my class list yesterday not sure on disabilities and so on.

I will have nine students and two para's. In addition two of my students will share another para.

All together three paras.

I am assuming one of my students has low vision or may be blind.

I was thinking of centers.

One of center time work on motor and attention to task

Puzzle center
    play doh
    glue and pasting
    paints for finger paints
    I can shapes
    colors

and so on.

any other ideas and I love all these links

13. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

maybe sensory painting check out the adaptions4kidz site for different ideas on painting, also painting with bingo dobbers or those do-a-dot art paint daubers, writing in shaving creme, a sorting center (sorting pictures or items into common categories, this can be broken up for multiple level (2 category sort, 4 category sort etc.), matching cards etc.