Working part time while also starting your first year as a teacher?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MsManda3, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Jul 28, 2012

Hey everyone,

I am starting my first year teaching in first grade. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I have a question concerning continuing to work at the part time job I accepted over the summer.

I accepted a part-time retail job to help me with paying bills because I wasn't going to be making money over the summer since substitute teachers do not get paid over the summer. Within a few days of accepting the retail position, I received the offer to teach at my school. I decided to keep the retail position, and just work weekends once school starts in a little over 3 weeks. I am realizing now that I may need to assist in Saturday tutorials and there will be Saturday programs. My team may also want to meet during the weekend sometime, and I will definitely need time for planning and grading.

Would it be wise for me to continue working there? I gave my new availability a couple days ago saying I could work Fridays 7pm-Close, Saturdays 4pm-Close, and Sundays Open-2. I do not have any drive at my retail job, and I want to give 100% of my time towards teaching. I heard the first year is the hardest, and I will be dedicating a LOT of time towards teaching. I don't want to burn myself out my first year. What do ya'll think? I typed up a two weeks notice, but I'm afraid my manager will be furious with me because I just turned in a new availability sheet, but I have given a lot of thought about this and do not know what to do. :(

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 28, 2012

It's retail. Unless you really, really, really need that supplemental money, I'd suggest not keeping it during the school year. You can always find another next summer. Focus on the teaching or you will be burned out.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2012

I have worked 2 jobs since I was 17. (Or full time job/full time school in college).

If you do not have to do it, don't. Or, if you can get by with maybe 1 day a week, it should be manageable. I currently work about 25 hours a week, and during Christmas time, it is about 35 hours per week. My boss doesn't seem to understand what 20 hours is :rolleyes:

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2012

I worked just 6 hours of week extra at another job my first year teaching, and even that was hard. I would definitely not suggest you work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! If anything, try one day a week and see how you feel. Then you can either add on more hours later or quit all together depending on how things go.

6. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Jul 28, 2012

@Mathemagician: I really don't need it. They have 30+ sales associates and are currently looking for another part time associate so maybe they can fill my position with that person?
    I have thought about tutoring next summer. I know myself and have a VERY good feeling I will be burned out doing both. I think it's the guilt of leaving that is getting to me.

@giraffe326: Wow! I couldn't do that, though I did work full time while also going to school full time until my student teaching semester. I really don't need the job as my boyfriend lives with me and we combine our incomes.

@waterfall: Ugh, it's the possible exhaustion I dread! I had a feeling working the schedule I gave would be too much! I wouldn't mind working one day a week, but that's pretty much gas money for me. It takes 30-45 minutes from my house to get to the retail job. I think I'm just going to do my original plan and give my two weeks. I just wanted some advice. I guess going with my gut can be a good thing and doesn't have to be scary!

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I think it would be best if you don't, especially if you're worried about fatigue. I'm a seasoned teacher (20 years), teaching the same thing I've taught for many, many years, and I work a part time job (about 15-20 hours a week during the school year). It's exhausting for me! I don't think I could do it at all if I were a new teacher.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 29, 2012

I tried to work two jobs during my first year teaching, and I had to give my two weeks after 1 week of teaching. It was just too much and I was way too exhausted (later found out that was probably because I was also pregnant, but still). Even now that I am experienced, I still wouldn't work a second job unless absolutely necessary.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't do it.
    Teaching is exhausting.
    All eyes will be on new teachers. You don't want to give your P any reason to question your dedication or ability.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

I just finished up my first year of teaching. I was exhausted....like, brain hurting, barely keep eyes open, talking nonsense kind of exhausted...by the end of each day. I could not imagine having another responsibility on top of teaching. If I were you, I'd quit the retail job. You want to dedicate all of your time to being the best teacher you can be, and the retail job will just make that harder to achieve.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't. Especially not your first year.

12. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I started my first teaching job in the middle of the school year. I had a retail job in college and took a leave of absence the semester I did my student teaching. I came back from the leave after finishing student teaching and was lucky enough to get a teaching job right away. I felt bad about quitting the retail job right after coming back from a leave, so I tried working part time on weekends at the retail job. That only lasted about three weeks. My suggestion is to not work the retail job unless you have to financially.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I agree with many others here. Unless you are in dire need of the money from the second job, I don't think you should work the second job.

Teaching is exhausting and often stressful, especially during the first year when you are still developing your rhythm and figuring out what works for you. You're going to need all the outside time you can get. Some people use that time for planning and grading, while others use it for relaxing and de-stressing (I'm in the latter group). Either way, you don't need that time to be spent working for what probably amounts to a tiny paycheck.

You don't need to make any decisions now. I might recommend that you try working and teaching for a while, like a week or two, and see how it goes. Some people can handle doing both and enjoy keeping busy. If you think you might be one of those people, there's no sense in quitting before you know exactly how working a second job will impact your teaching.

Whatever happens, keep us posted, and good luck to you! :)

14. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 29, 2012

I worked part time at Walmart last year during my teaching internship. It was miserable. I needed the money (since, well, an internship is unpaid) and had been there since I was in high school so I did not want to give up what had built up a competitive wage... But, I was exhausted and I look back and know I could have done a better job teaching if I wasn't working. I would go months without having an entire day off and/or a good night's sleep.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 30, 2012

Its tough! I've worked 2 jobs for 3 years. I recently decided to give it up in September and try to live within my means. I don't know if I can do it but I don't have nearly enough me time - and I'm not the best teacher I can be because of it. :( I can always find something else if I fall on my face...

16. ShoelessGal

ShoelessGal Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

I would be frightened to take on another job during my first year of teaching. If it's anything like student teaching (I hear it's even more work), then forget about it. I would wait until you have a year or two under your belt. Good luck!

17. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

Thanks everyone. I gave my two weeks on Sunday. I just know it would be way too much for me. I feel bad, but at the same time it was just a job to occupy me and bring in a little extra money whereas teaching is my career. I also heard the fall is the busiest time for my retail job! I will live for my weekends!! :)

18. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 1, 2012

Yes, you will LOVE your weekends and they will go by so very quickly as a first-year teacher! Remember to keep a balance -- which it sounds like you are focusing on, since you quit your other job!