Working overnight while student teaching

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Ms. Weaver, Feb 25, 2007.

?

How many of you have worked while student teaching?

1. Full time

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Part-time or weekends

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Overnight or 2nd shift jobs

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Not at all...

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ms. Weaver

Ms. Weaver New Member

Feb 25, 2007

Hi everybody ....I need advice. I am about to start my student teaching in a few months and I will need to work full time to pay my rent, utilities,car insurance and other ''must have'' bills. I currently work over night from 7pm-7am...Five days a week..then the next week only two days a week and it repeats..that is basically an officer's schedule. I just wanted advice on whether or not it is logical to believe it is possible to keep such schedule while student teaching...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    My exact schedule--
    Monday, Tuesday ( Work 7pm-7am) Off Wednesday and Off Thursday, Work Friday, Saturday and Sunday ( Work 7pm- 7am)
    then the next week I would only work Wednseday and Thursday ( 7pm-7am) and be off all the other days...then it repeats....so I was thinking that with my off days I could do my lessons and everything? What do you all think? If you add it up..its only 15 days a month I work....do you still think I am cutting it too close??

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 25, 2007

You mean you'd work 12 hours getting off at 7 am, go student teach, then go back to work at 7 pm? Five times in a row? I don't think that's going to be possible. Huh-uh. You'd never have time to do your lesson planning and prep. Besides the obvious sleep deprivation. Sorry... what kind of officer are you?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2007

I was thinking the same thing.

If you're dealing with weapons, I think it's going to get dangerous. We can all do the sleep deprivation thing for a while, but then it crosses a line. At some point, your judgement becomes impaired: ask any new mom.

Is there any way you could cut back on your hours at work for a while?

I worked about 30ish hours a week while student teaching, but it was in a restaurant...totally different. Besides, most of my hours were on weekends, so I was free to do schoolwork most weekday afternoons.

5. lisab

lisab Rookie

Feb 25, 2007

Working full time

I started my student teaching this past January and it is something to get used to. I think you will have problems finding time to do lesson plans if you are working full time. While you do get some prep time usually during the day it is not enough, and another thing is you will need sleep. If you work 7am - 7 pm you will not have any time to get some sleep in before or after either job. I know that the college I attend you are able to take out an additional loan for living expenses during the students teaching period, you should seroiusly look into that. Hope this is helpful.

Lisa

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2007

I did an occasional over nite shift when I student taught( when I was a whole lot younger too:( ) I worked in a group home at that time, and did bed checks every hour, plus laundry and other tasks. It was not a great idea.... my whole schedule was off.

After a while I left the overnight shifts until Friday so I could sleep in on Saturday and still have some type of social life on Saturday nights

7. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Feb 25, 2007

There is so much to learn and do during student teaching. If you were to work the schedule that you wrote about, I don't think you would be getting the best possible student teaching experience. You also want to make a good impression on the people at the school. Can you do that with limited sleep?

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Feb 25, 2007

I would not advised you to work those hours if you really want to do a really good job to get a teaching job in the future.

Is it possible that you can work after care or tutor during student teaching? After runs about 2-3 hrs per day (usually until 6 pm - so that you have time to do what you need for student teaching).

Good luck with you decisions...

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2007

I was married and had a 1 year old at home.......does that count as working full time and overnight?;)

10. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 25, 2007

i think it is crazy to even think about it...i coached at a high school during student teaching and it was a lot of me because i wasn't able to stay after school and do planning with my supervising teacher.
    in your case it sounds like you will never have time to sleep....believe me you need sleep when dealing with kids. you will be on your feet all day and you will have to be on it for the six hours the kids are there.
    look into a scholarship from your university....it seems like a better alternative than living without sleep.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2007

Yep. But there's no way you could opt out:p

12. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Feb 25, 2007

I had a friend who was a cop and he did exactly what you are thinking about doing. He always looked physically and mentally drained, but you have got to do what you need to do. He had a family and to not work wasn't an option. It can be done, but keep in mind something has to give.

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 25, 2007

If you are considering the loan approach, TERI has student loans for grad students and you can spend it on living expenses plus tuition/books. http://www.teri.org/ You don't pay back until 6 months after graduation, but there is no penalty for paying it back early.

14. srh

srh Devotee

Feb 25, 2007

I worked full-time and traveled quite a bit during my teacher ed program. I was on a part-time student teaching schedule, half days, two to three days a week. I didn't quit my job until I had to bite the bullet for full-time student teaching. With all the grad work and unit planning, etc., I would not have been sane to work overnight shifts (or much of anything else) during full-time, all-day student teaching (7:30-5:00 every day).

I think that if you try it, you will find yourself seriously handicapped in one area or the other. On the other hand, maybe I was just tired at age 45! :-D

15. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Feb 25, 2007

When your student teaching you need time to research and plan for lessons. All your plans have to be detailed and are very time consuming. I worked about four hours each day while I student taught. I would be up very late planning and typing. I wouldn't recommend it. You need your sleep. I would think that you would get very sleepy during the day.

16. Ms. Weaver

Ms. Weaver New Member

Feb 26, 2007

My exact schedule

Monday, Tuesday ( Work 7pm-7am) Off Wednesday and Off Thursday, Work Friday, Saturday and Sunday ( Work 7pm- 7am)
    then the next week I would only work Wednseday and Thursday ( 7pm-7am) and be off all the other days...then it repeats....so I was thinking that with my off days I could do my lessons and everything? What do you all think? If you add it up..its only 15 days a month I work....do you still think I am cutting it too close??

17. Ms. Weaver

Ms. Weaver New Member

Feb 26, 2007

Could you talk to him for me and get his opinion and any advice he could offer?? Also see my revised post..I added my schedule. Thanks

18. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Feb 26, 2007

I really don't see how you could possible do it for one night. I think you would find yourself either falling asleep at school or falling asleep at your job because of exhaustion. Student teaching is stressful. This is were you are getting your experience of being with children. You start our slow by observing and then gradually build yourself up to where you are teaching the whole day for two weeks.