Working interview

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by amethyst, May 21, 2010.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

May 21, 2010

I have to do a working interview at a preschool on Monday. It's for a 2-3 year old class with eighteen kids in it!!! I've been out of the classroom for awhile, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for circle time and an activity. The theme is "balls," but she said I could really do anything I wanted. I havn't worked in a classroom that big in a long time and even the biggest class I worked in wasn't that big!
    I know there will be other people there so it's not like I would be alone with them, but still!

Thanks for your help!

3. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

May 21, 2010

You could have the children stand in a circle and pass the ball around the circle

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2010

I have suggested this before, but it is such a good idea, I will repeat it.

Buy a Chinese Jump Rope. (If you can't find one, a long rope tied together will work.) Have the children sit in a circle and hand onto the rope with both hands, facing inwards. Now, have them sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", while pretending to row.

I open and close a cirlce time with this activity. It is my anchor, so the children know when circle time begins, and when it ends.

Here is how I would do a ball activity. In every circle time I do, I have a pretty hat box with props in it. I would put some balls of various primary colors in the box.

When time to do this activity, say, "Knock, knock, what's in the box?" Then open it and show the children the items in the box. I would then sort the balls by color.

You can expand any of these by talking more.

5. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 22, 2010

I use lots of songs, movement and finger plays. Some are just fun, while others have to do with the theme. Here's a short finger play I do with my 3's:

Here's a ball (make circle with thumb & pointer on one hand)
    And here's a ball (make above circle on other hand)
    A great big ball I see (make circle with arms over head)
    Shall we count them?
    Are you ready?
    One, two, three (make all three balls in succession)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2010

OK, I'm secondary math, so take this for what it's worth:

I would look not only for a good activity, but for one that will teach the kids something.

So maybe a color wheel for art.

Or you could talk about comparative words-- big ball, bigger ball, biggest ball. (Someone- I know I sound like an idiot.what's the term for that? )

You could talk about how a ball rolls faster downhill than uphill, and talk in elemementary terms about gravity.

I'm out of my element here. But I'm thinking that the kids should leave the class knowing more than when they came in, not merely having had fun.