working interview- activity

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Jan 24, 2012.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Jan 24, 2012

I have a working interivew. I can't think of any thing to do fun with the kids ages 3.5-4. Any help would be great

Thanks
    Dana

3. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jan 24, 2012

Is this your first experience working with children? Can you do a short Circle Time if the teacher allows? Are they learning a particular skill or do they have a theme that they are working on right now?

Preschool kids love movement activities, stories, fingerplays/songs, sensory activities and arts and crafts. Anything that is hands on. Maybe have them act out a story or draw the music they hear. Ask them open ended questions to spark conversation and foster critical thinking. Make sure you get down on their level and show an interest in what they're doing and saying.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2012

Okay - don't take this wrong (or maybe I am grumpy) but I find it hard to believe that someone who is qualified to be a preschool teacher can't think of anything fun to do. If you get hired, you have to think of "fun" things to do all day, every day. We like to help but...

Sorry....it just hit me wrong...maybe it is the way you worded it.

5. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jan 26, 2012

Can you give us more information? How long will you be there? Are you supposed to lead circle, do an art activity, or what? Do you know what the class has been learning or are you just supposed to come up with something?

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 27, 2012

Yes, give us more information, and we can help you--with one activity to a whole circle time.

7. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jan 29, 2012

I thought the same thing at first too. I figured maybe this is the first time she's working with this particular age group. Sometimes people work with infants or toddlers and don't know what to do with older children. Maybe it is her first job in preschool ever and she is interviewing an assistant teacher position. I can understand her asking this question under those circumstances.

We all know that assistant teachers hardly need to have any formal experience or education in ECE. Heck, in many states the requirements for lead teachers are low too. IME it's a field that doesn't really value experience and education. That's a whole other topic.

8. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Feb 3, 2012

i just want some new ideas.... I got the job as the lead teacher thank you. I have over 12 years. Sorry guess I should ask for help here.

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 4, 2012

Do one of your favorite activities. Now is not the time to try something new. You need to be comfortable enough with what you are doing so that you can manage the children's behavior as well as teach. It will look better to your observer/interviewer.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2012

I'm not understanding...did you get the job? Or do you still have to do a demo lesson?