Working in your classroom over the summer.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by SouthernTeach, Jul 3, 2007.

1. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 3, 2007

I love my school and would not want to work any where else.... But my biggest gripe is that we are told that we can not come up to the school during the entire month of July. :eek: This makes me crazy! I am always anxious to work in my room over the summer. Does this happen to other teachers? How much freedom are you given as far as going to your classroom in the summer?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

We can come into our classroom as much as we want during the summer. Obviously if they're painting or something, we're out of luck and need to wait until the next day to come back. Otherwise it's accessible to us all summer.

One thing we have to remember around here is to only come in for the mornings in the summertime. I live in Vegas where it gets H.O.T. in the summer... 110-120 as a rule. They only have the air conditioning on in the classrooms until about 11 AM to save on electricity costs. If you plan to be in your room later than that, you should probably make other plans.

4. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

At least you can go in! We only get a few days before school starts.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

We can go in Tuesday to Thursday this week (school ended last Friday). That's it until the last week of August (the week before school starts)--no exceptions!

6. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 3, 2007

We can go in through the 2nd to last week of July. However, a lot of rooms are being used for summer school, so if you aren't teaching it, there may be limited hours you can actually be in your classroom. They clean the last week in July through August. Then we can't get in until a few days before school starts.

7. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Jul 3, 2007

At my last school we couldn't come up either until after all floors were waxed which was about the beginning of August. At my school now we can come anytime only this year we are getting new tile except the tile is not in yet :eek: Hopefully I can start working in my room soon.

8. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 3, 2007

I can get into my room all summer, but there will be summer school in my classroom until the first week of August, leaving me limited time to be up there. Also, before I do any big things for next year, I have to wait until after they deep clean....and as of last week it was not yet done. :mad: I probably won't be able to really be in there until the 2nd week of August. School starts August 27th.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2007

I think I'll be able to go at the end of this week, but the hours are limited. There was the cleaning of the carpet, replacement of the counter, and polishing of the linoleum before this.

10. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

We've been out since Memorial Day and until last week I REALLY didn't want to go back. But I do now even though I can't. They're cleaning the carpet and waxing the tile. I'll probably call next week and see when we can get in our rooms. I'm kind of anxious to get started.

11. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I'm teaching summer school in my own classroom! So as of now I can work in it. But after working till 11:00 I am ready to go home! The last 2 weeks I might work a little more to get ready. I have a feeling I won't be able to come in after summer school for a few weeks.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2007

I can go in week after next I think... Hoping my principal will call to let me know.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

We can go in whenever we want, but I'm in a very tiny school.

When I taught at a high school with 3000 kids, we were only allowed in at the beginning of August. The fact is that the custodians need the freedom to move around and clean things on their own schedule. They can't worry about working around teachers who, in their view, just randomly come up to work on their classrooms. Many schools put their custodial staff on very strict schedules because they have to go help other buildings once their own is finished.

14. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 3, 2007

We can not get into our classrooms the entire months of June and July. The first day we are let back in is August 1st; school starts the 17th. What really stinks is that we have mandatory conferences to attend from the 12th-16th, so that only leaves 11 days to get everything ready!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

This is definitely the case here. We are having 4 new portables dropped for next year (one arrived on our last day of school covered in graffiti and obscenities) which need a complete overhaul. Add to that most of the teachers moving classrooms, and needing desks and file cabinets moved, and deep cleaning all of the rooms, and they really don't want us "underfoot". I know that the caretakers are the ones who can make my life easy or a nightmare next year--I'll honour their wishes.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2007

Every day I tell myself I won't go in... I have been in just about every week day since school got out... it's so sad. I moved and set up my new room, and now am getting ready for summer school, which will last the next 3 weeks. I don't expect that will be the end of it. I can't seem to stay away.

They will deep clean after summer school, so I won't be able to go in then.

17. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Usually we can get in during the summer, but this year we have construction to install new air conditioners in some of the rooms. Those rooms are off limits and behind a fence. Mine is, of course, one of them. I have no idea when we can get back in. I brought tons of work home with me though.

18. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 3, 2007

We have two weeks before school starts between 8 AM and 3 PM. After school starts we are allowed in from 6 AM and 11 PM.
    It's tricky since the two weeks before school starts are all meetings and the like, but that is all we have.

19. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Last year I only had three days to set up my classroom because we moved into a brand new building that wasn't done in time. We actually had to postpone the start of school. I feel like I never really had the chance to get organized. This year I can go whenever I choose. I've only been back once in the past two weeks and I've made a pact with myself not to really get started until after I get back from vacation on the 21st. That way, once the inservice days start, all I'll have left to do is plan. It'll be such a relief!

20. bowler

bowler Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I am moving to a brand new school that won't be finished until the 31st of July. I am hoping that it is done on time and I can get in August 1st.

21. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 3, 2007

I can go in anytime between 7:45-2:30. However, I usually call first to see if we can go in since the custodians need to do their jobs also. My room is always one of the last classrooms to be finished for the new school year. So I usually go in to do the bullentin boards and make a layout of the room on the board for the custodians to follow.

They usually wax the hallway floors the last 2 weeks of August. But we can still get in one way if we have too.

22. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I'm evidently one of the lucky ones. My school is small and we can get in all summer long. I try to make myself scarce when the janitor wants to re-do our wooden floors. Last year the principal threatened to change the locks, but I haven't gone in as much this summer. My teaching partner and I have done some planning, but otherwise I have just worked on stuff at home.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2007

When I finally get in (Friday, I propose), I know I'll just go a few days a week (2) because I still want to have my summer. :)

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 3, 2007

The principal said we'd be able to go in in August. But we are having major construction done (new carpet, classrooms torn apart, office torn apart, building a new office and new classrooms!). My classroom will be one of the new ones, which is EXCITING but it's hard because I want to be in it!! I shouldn't fret too much, soon enough I'll be in it ALL THE TIME! lol

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 4, 2007

I have a key to my school and room and could go at any point...if the custodians would ever finish our floor. We are an old high school and have hardwood floors. Every summer they strip and poly them. We can't get into our rooms until they finish our rooms and halls. They haven't even finished our rooms yet (they are always through by July). We have a new custodian this year and he has done a less than stellar job. It's going to be at least 2 weeks before we can get in there. It's driving me crazy.

26. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 4, 2007

I can go in any time (after summer school is out for the day) but I can't do anything until the former teacher moves her things into her new room...and she is at the mercy of the teacher who is leaving that room!

27. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

We had to turn over our keys on the last day of school. We can go and get them back August 1st. Otherwise, we're out of luck until then. The custodians do not like us in there during the summer while they are cleaning. All of the carpets and floors will be done by the time we return. We still get a month to get our classrooms ready since school doesn't start until September 5th. Many teachers don't come back until we are required to on August 27 though.

28. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 4, 2007

We can get in on July 17. We can stay during school hours. Teachers officially start on Aug. 13 so I guess we'll have a little under a monthe to prepare our classrooms.

29. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

All staff has a key card to get in the main door and then we have personalized alarm codes to disarm the security system. There is a sign in sheet next to the code box so that you can sign in and see if there is anyone else in the building and then you sign out so if you are last you have to turn the security on.

We can't get past the main door between midnight and 6:00 am, the principal blocks it for safety reasons. Other than that the we can go in at any time and if you want to get into your room ASAP over the summer you can call the janitor and he makes your room top priority.

30. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

I can only go on August 20th and school begins on the 27th !

31. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 4, 2007

This week my school is closed. Last week, I went in for a few hours and moved most of my furniture into my room [it was stacked in the hallway]. Next week, I can go to the school from 7:30-3:30 everyday, but I'm only planning to go Monday-Thursday. I am a little overwhelmed because I have so much stuff to organize. Hopefully, I will feel better once I can get in my room and start figuring things out. :cool:

32. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 4, 2007

We really only have 2 days that we're all going in together for 7 hours each day. Our new contract is STILL in negotiations. Uggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh! This is only my 2nd year teaching. I have no idea how I'll get it all done.

33. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

I guess I'm lucky! We are free to come into the school whenever we want. There are one or two days when our classroom are thoroughly cleaned, so we can't get into our specific rooms that day, but we are allowed in whenever we want.

34. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 4, 2007

We can, but then have to work around the cleaning crews. Right now, our floors are being stripped and waxed. Everything is crammed into one or two corners of the rooms. This was one reason I took EVERYTHING home with me this year. So now it's all over my living room and bedroom....but I'm reorganizing and purging and planning with all I have.

I take it back--I left the giant rolling cabinet full of my stuff; I'll clean that out sometime this month. But it just feels so good actually handling everything I've had jumbled in the classroom for two years...it will look better and be more practical when we start up in August!

35. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Well, I feel better.... At least half the teachers are limited to the amount of time they can spend in their classrooms over the summer. A friend of mine took a job in another county this summer and she is allowed in the school any time she wants!
    I suspect that in our county it is left up to the administrators and this is the way my principal chooses to handle it.

36. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Yeah we are not allowed in until about a week before school begins. We are supposed to get a letter from the principal around mid July, letting us know when we can get in and some back to school details. I am kinda bummed because I am a first year teacher and I have not even really been allowed in my room. My dining room is filled with furniture and classroom stuff.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

For us, the administrators have no control over this either--it is the caretakers who set the groundrules!

38. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

in our county it is site based so some schools you can and others you can't. Ours said it is because of saftey reasons and the floors being cleaned. If we fell and hurt ourselves because of the floors they would be in more trouble then a regular year and he doesn't want to take that risk.