Working from home

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Mar 22, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 22, 2020

Who else is teaching from home? We start tomorrow.

We planned all week last week. I’m sad about the circumstances, but I’m loving being at home so far. I feel so much more relaxed, even though I’ve been working a lot to get things ready. We have actually had home cooked meals this week, real food, and it seems like there’s never time for that in a work week. It’s going to be hard for me to go back.

At the same time, though, I know some of my kiddos are going to really struggle with navigating online instruction. It will be interesting to see how this week goes.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

We worked from home all last week. DH’s district does at-home instruction on snow days, so he is not stressing over it. This is our first time, so I’m planning and monitoring. Of course, we also teach different subjects. He teaches computers ,and I teach language arts.

I was mentally exhausted the first two days. It settled down later. I made a schedule, which helped. Starting tomorrow I have a zoom conference with my kids at 10 every day. I work from 8 to 3. I also keep in contact with my team and admin. We call kids and send/receive work. We are out until April 20, but I see us going longer.

DH is looking for new work. He had only had his kids for a week before they were out. he only has them for 9 weeks. He works 9 to 1. They call a class period of kids every day. We are checking to make sure kids are okay and if they need anything.

Our modem died today, so we have to have a new one tomorrow. Not sure what time. They said they’d sent a tech in the morning.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 22, 2020

Our district won't have a plan in place until this week.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 23, 2020

Beginning my third day at home.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 23, 2020

We've been working from home since last Wednesday. I just have to call all my students twice a week, and I'm monitoring Google Classroom, but we're not doing any consistent online teaching, or being live.
    Although I have been sitting at my kitchen table since 7:30 am (my contract time) and updating Google classroom announcements and assignments, I won't be calling students until about 9. I'm sure most of them are sleeping in.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2020

I just got an email from one of my students; he forgot his login info for Google Apps. Of course, I left my master list at school (who would have thought I'd need it at home!). Luckily, I was able to access the school master list and get it for him.

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 24, 2020

Day 4 of work-from-home: as much as it bites that I have no idea how my new group is doing with their packets (hopefully just fine, but I won't know for two weeks), some of my prior group are finally getting their acts together. I've had more contact from students/parents about missing work in the last few days than I had all quarter. At least one child is now passing because she turned in 50 points worth of late work.

"I'm concerned about my child's grade." *funny how you didn't care for the first 8 weeks* "Your child is missing 5 assignments. Everything needed is on google classroom. My late work policy is also on GC. There's an extra credit research assignment worth up to 15 points if the turning in late work won't raise the grade to your satisfaction."
    I have the time to plot and strategize how some of these kids can still pass, then email them their individualized plan. This way, the parents can't blame me when the child fails middle school music. I went out of my way to try to pass your child, but he/she didn't make the effort.

If nothing else, the shutdown has some of the parents finally getting involved in their children's education.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

I'm pretty sure a lot of parents have a newfound appreciation for teachers. Now they see that teaching is not just showing up and supervising the kid, but actually teaching in a way so that they can learn. And they probably see that spending 6-7 hours a day, every day with their angels during the day is not what they thought it would be.
    At the very least there is more contact between parents and teachers, because now the parents are worried, they can't just leave their child's education up to the school and the teacher. Now they're an important part of it (they were before as well, but they probably didn't see it).
    So, I think a lot of positives will come out of this to balance out the negatives.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

Hopefully, this will happen but it's disgusting what some people are posting on Facebook. They say they are refusing to make their kid do work. They are letting them play or watch tv or sleep all day. They are treating it like a vacation. I know some are trying really hard but they are putting themselves first instead of their kids.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

Thanks for the positive thoughts! It is difficult to see things positively in spite of all the negatives. :)

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

Yes, yes, and yes.

13. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 24, 2020

Of course they are. They're doing what they typically do. The tv and video game are the parents! The kids are there all day so the sh*tty parents are suffering. They're looking for an outlet. Don't look for them to also give instruction to kids!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2020

We planned and got programs and packets ready last week. This week is going much "smoother" as far as programs go. It's the making of the packets. We had so many parents change their minds about doing packets at home that we just decided that for the second week we are making packets for everyone. This was after we had all ready made our packets. So trying to figure out how many more we needed and then getting them ready was a bit dramatic this morning. ( you would think it would have been easier) Anyway for week three we all ready have a plan so it should go much smoother. Last week and until tomorrow everyone on campus. Starting next week each grade level has an assigned day.
    As far as students. Only a few are doing on line work even when more signed up. I have one parent who has contacted me more in the last few days than she has EVER which is kind of annoying. One kid whose parents haven't bothered to contact the school or anything for classwork. Won't answer the phone or facebook messages. Which really is no surprise. She hates me and the school.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2020

I have been saying the same thing. I think parents will have a new appreciation for what we do on a daily basis.

Tired Teacher and whizkid like this.
  16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2020

This is my second working at home as we are now doing distance learning.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

My teammate has already been asked by a parent if she will fill out a Vanderbilt to have her child assessed for ADD.

YoungTeacherGuy and Backroads like this.
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

That didn't take long!!

nstructor and whizkid like this.
  19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

And now they see...

20. DamienJasper

DamienJasper Rookie

Mar 25, 2020

I kind of have to wonder if, at the end of this (whatever and whenever that is), schools decide that distance learning or self paced online learning is the way to go.

Thus, no more classrooms and far less of us...

21. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

I don’t think there could be far less of us. On my end, it’s taking just as much effort to provide instruction for my students online as it does in class. It’s one thing to stick them on a program, which would need less staffing, but it’s another to answer questions, respond to parent emails, and address misunderstandings. That’s what differentiates teaching and monitoring completion, IMHO. Some states, principals, and politicians surely wouldn’t understand that, however.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

No way in H E Double HOckey Sticks will parents want distance learning as the norm.

23. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

Not a chance...the parents seem to not be loving this, and I think we are seeing not as much learning is taking place through this method. I know there will be cheers of joys from parents when the schools are open again.

24. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 25, 2020

Straight to the liquor cabinet

25. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

I hope so. Teachers could use the appreciation, if I may humbly say.

26. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 27, 2020

What tips do you all have for dealing with parents who think online education stuff is stupid?

So many of my students are doing such beautiful work and putting in great effort. A very few normally good students, though, are clearly not. The grades (yes, we’re still grading as usual) are going to show it. I’ve contacted parents. They know the work is not getting done. Now I’m going to have to start putting in grades, and those straight A kids are going to get zeros. Somehow I think the parents’ excuses will be they didn’t know (they did), it’s too much work (it’s not), the child is confused (only because they’re a week behind). I know I can take a tough teacher approach and not care, I’ve done my part, but that’s hard for me. I’ll likely have several of these kids next year and hate to burn those bridges.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2020

I think the opposite. I think our role and importance will become even more evident, and we will be valued and respected even more. Good teachers are always needed.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 27, 2020

I had one mom email me to tell me that she couldn’t get her son to do the work for her. :rofl:I see that he is consistent.

Another asked why we were doing so much work. Ummm . . . it is what we do. We work them hard all the time. They don’t do well without routine and constant work. We have a lively bunch. We are cutting down on volume for the next 20 days. They’re getting overwhelmed without us there to help.

29. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 28, 2020

There have been many memes out on FB about parents homeschooling. My favourite is the one where parents finally realise that the fault lies not with the teacher or the school....

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  30. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 28, 2020

This working from home thing is... interesting to say the least. So I had a phone call from a parent yesterday morning around 8 o’clock. Truthfully, I was still in the bed not even decent.

A bit of back ground on this particular student. I wouldn’t say he’s a problem student, but he’s definitely spent more than his fair share in my office this year. I noticed with the online classroom that around 1-2 in the morning, he’ll get online and be super productive. But then he’ll log in around 5-6 in the afternoon, and it’s the complete opposite. Me, his parent, and one of gods teachers had a conference not too long ago.

So anyways. She calls and asks if I could talk to him because he’s being very unproductive and not taking this seriously. I said it sounded like what we were talking annoy at the last conference. But instead of hovering over him while he’s working, let him work at his own pace and maybe check in on him afterwards. Let me know how that goes and we can reassess.

Got a text last night around dinner time “that worked great!”

rpan, a2z, MrsC and 3 others like this.
  31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 28, 2020

First of all, you answered this call on a Saturday?!

Second, for parents who say their kids won’t do work, I wonder how many have actually tried limiting other options. If we as teachers said, “You can do this work, or you can go play videogames/have free recess” how many would actually choose to do the work? Many teachers (not all) would also say, “Your work needs to be completed, or you will miss recess/the fun game that comes up next.”

We’re not being mean teachers when we say those things, we’re being responsible adults who are teaching students to prioritize and get done what needs to get done. I have a feeling many of these parents would say something like, “All he wants to do is watch tv. He won’t do any work.” Well of course that’s what he wants to do. It’s your job as a parent to set boundaries.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 28, 2020

I have to be sure to stress regular "office hours". Some parents and kids think we should be available 24/7, and that's just unrealistic. I'm available online from 8 to 3 every weekday. After that, I'm off the clock.

Last night I got an email from a kid who wanted to know why I "ruined his grade" by putting in an assignment as missing. Every day an assignment is due, at 3pm I mark it as missing in the online grade book so the kid and I can both see it is still to be done. There is no penalty for missing. They still get full credit when it is turned in. It's just a physical reminder of what wasn't done. We have done this for 10 days. It is not new. (By the way, I follow this SAME procedure in class. Every time since August.) He chose to not start on a 3-day assignment until 10PM the day it was due at 3PM, and now I'm the bad guy for marking it as missing. He got my "out of office" email reply.

33. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 28, 2020

Of course they are not loving this. Many are working full time while trying to teach their kids at the same time. Could you imagine being asked at school to man the school clinic and teach a class at the same time?

MrsC likes this.
  34. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 28, 2020

So, if their "office hours" are your "office hours" and you expect them to teach their kids, it isn't going to work.

35. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 28, 2020

I'm dealing with 14 and 15 year olds doing review work. I have very little contact with parents.

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 28, 2020

The main issue from parents has been that their kids aren't wanting to work or are turning in half-done or blank work. They are wanting to play games and watch tv and eat. That's not a school problem. That's a parenting problem.

rpan and Tired Teacher like this.
  37. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 28, 2020

I have been online teaching from home. I thought I'd have time for more home cooked meals, but it has not turned out that way. I am finding myself working way more hours than I normally would. I have to learn to turn off my phone and disengage earlier. At 1st, it seemed like "I had this." It has become more difficult each day for me.
    I had a kid whose mom was telling me how hard her wonderful son had been working on certain online assignments. The assignments are on a different site and she did not realize I had easy access to the time he spent on it. She must have just put her son on the computer and walked away because I had records showing he was only spending 1-2 minutes each day. My best guess was the second she left, he flipped out of the program and onto video games. GRRRRR!

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2020

Up until now, we have not been doing anything about providing work. We have been out for two weeks; the first week was our scheduled break. The provincial Ministry of Education and my school district have posted some review and enrichment sites and resource ideas. The goal of these is not instruction, but more to assist the parents in keeping their children in a "learning" mindset. I've had a few emails and comments on Google Classroom asking about work that was in progress before the break, but at this point, all due dates have been eliminated.

The district sent out an email to parents on Thursday asking about technology access and availability at home. I'm sure that this access, or lack thereof, will dictate how we move forward. Due to equity issues, I can't see us moving to live online instruction. We have a staff meeting on Monday, when I'm sure we'll get the answers to some of our questions. In reality, decisions should be based on how long we'll be out, and no one knows the answer to that.

39. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 28, 2020

No, I answered it yesterday on Friday. With his situation, I think it’s partly because he doesn’t like someone standing over him “monitoring” what he’s doing.