Working extra...would you rather do a or b?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 20, 2013

I will save you my sob story about the state of affairs in NC. Long story short, I NEED an extra job. I want to work about 20 hours a week. I plan on working at a group home in my area.

So, here are my options...
    #1-Work 3-4 hours ever school night. (Probably from 6-10ish)
    ----or-----
    #2-Work two 10 hour days every weekend.

This is not a choice right now. Hubby just found out overtime is being cut out at his job. He is also a state employee, but not a teacher. (That also means I won't be going back to get my master's any time soon.) Yes, I have a child, and I feel like he is going to suffer a little because of this, but it is what it is. Luckily I have a really awesome babysitter who used to be a fellow teacher. She is now retired. We actually taught together when I was pregnant. She loves having my child around, and charges me only $35/week regardless of how many hours she keeps him. :wub:

Anyway, if you had the choice what would you do? I am leaning towards the weekdays.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 20, 2013

Ugh I'm so sorry! No advice but just wanted to send hugs.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

First of all, :hugs:

I think I'd go with 'A'. :hugs: this way maybe you'd have time to get home, have a quick dinner (cook crockpot meals, divide and freeze) with the fams and head out...take your teacher bag with you in case the residents are all quiet, in bed..you might beable to get a little paperwork done. You'll be so glad to have your weekends free.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 20, 2013

Can you do a split? That is, work only one day on the weekends, and 2-3 days after school? This is what I would choose if possible so that I could retain one day a week without work while not killing myself everyday after school. If this is not a choice, then I'd go with #1.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

Can you do a combo? I've worked 3 different PT jobs while working. I worked between 20 and 35 hours (usually 20-25, but up to 35 around Christmas or if someone was on vacation).

First job (car dealership)- I worked 4:45-9 on week days (usually 3 per week), longer shift on Saturday (6-8 hours). Sundays off usually. Occasionally, I would fill in and do the 12-6 on Sunday.

Second job (retail)- I worked 4-8 hours on Sunday, 6-8 hours on Saturday, and 5-10/11/12 on weekdays. Usually 3 per week, but sometimes 4. Closing hours varied on the season.

Third job (grocery)- 8 hours on Saturday, 6 hours on Sunday, any combination on week days: 5-9, 5-11, 5:30-11, 6-11, 6:30-11, 7-11 I usually worked 2-3 week days per week.

I totally preferred doing 6-11 to 5-9. It allowed me to stay after school and get some things done.

I think you will get burned out if you do every night Monday-Friday. I HATED working more than 3 week nights- I was exhausted! I really preferred working Friday night since I didn't have school the next morning.

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 20, 2013

Dang, Giraffe326... You make me look like a slacker. :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

I don't think I would do the weekend shift because you would never have a day off unless it was a school holiday! I see what giraffe is saying about being burned out if you worked M-F. :(

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

I'd work the weekdays, hands-down. As a fellow North Carolinian, I feel your pain. Looking into a second job myself. Grrrrrrrrrr........

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

Not a slacker at all...you're a working mom doing the best for your family.:love:

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

I would do a, so you would have the weekend to try and relax and hang out with your family.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 20, 2013

My husband works 5am to 9pm right now due to a nasty commute. We live for the weekends. Even though I get home right now around 5, I'm still exhausted-that is not quality time anyhow. I would much rather have those two days on the weekend to recharge. And it will be easier for your husband to watch your child in the evenings when they are just eating dinner and playing than it will be to entertain him or her for two full days alone. I speak from my side of the experience. :)

I totally feel your pain. Dh said goodnight to Henry on Sunday and then mentioned he won't see him again until the next weekend. And I realized he was right. I've already started planning our family time-gotta make those days count!

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

I never worked them all at the same time. Sorry if that was unclear. I did overlap job 2 and job 3 for a week.

I taught and worked 1 PT job at a time, usually 20-25 hours.

14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 20, 2013

I must also add that I have been told that the residents do a lot of their outings on the weekends, so I am thinking that this might be the "more fun" time to work. But, I also thought about how I might get some "down time" when the residents go to bed around 8:30-9:00. This home consists of 3 men who are pretty independent...they all have Down's Syndrome. The house is really nice, actually nicer than mine. :lol: They have wifi and everything. They actually all wake up around 5:00 am for work. I actually worked at a home very similar to this one in college, and it's not all that difficult.

15. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 20, 2013

Oh, okay.... :p I was so impressed. lol

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

I always made my availability only Sunday mornings. This allowed me an afternoon every week where I knew I could catch up on things. I loved the car dealership because I took Sundays off. (Retail didn't allow me to do that.)

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

I agree with the combo solution if that's a possibility...

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

I do my second job in the afternoon/evenings so I can have a life on the weekends, but you are going to have to be super organized! Use the hubby more than the babysitter to have your child on a normal schedule at home, if possible. Luckily, my kids are grown. :hugs:

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 21, 2013

First off, I'm sorry to hear that you need to work all these extra hours. I'd do the weekday one. I just see five really long days being more manageable than working every single day including two ten-hour days on the weekends.

20. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2013

Does it have to be a 10 hour day on the weekend if you do a combo? If it were me and it were an option I'd probably work one 5 hour day on a weekend day and then take the rest of the hours during the week. I've always preferred more days of work with shorter hours rather than fewer days with long hours.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2013

ecteach, I wish you didn't have to do either, but I guess A (working the weekday eves) is a little better. At least you can still have your weekends completely free.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

Sorry for a little detour...:hugs:, Jem! Those are crazy hours dh is doing! Is he hoping to work closer eventually? Believe me, we've had years like that...dh would be gone for weeks at a tme, even months, when he was in the Navy and our kids were little. When we first moved to NJ, he had a commute to Long Island...which depending on the day could be anywhere between 1 hour to 3 or 4 hours if there was a sporting event in the city or traffic on the LIE. :hugs:

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2013

I worked 7 days a week for about 3 years. No kids though. Hubs was working retail full time and had to work weekends as the assistant. I worked latchkey &/or preschool depending on the year. I then worked retail on the weekends and usually 1 night a week. I did this right up until I had my daughter. Um, I actually had to call in to work (she was a little early).

I couldn't do it if I had kids. In fact, our COO just announced that she is stepping down because of her 4 yr. old. She wants to spend more time with him, so she is making a career change & going back to school.

24. JillFiredUp

JillFiredUp New Member

Aug 22, 2013

I agree with those who said "A". Use a few hours on one weekend each month and stock that freezer up! That way you can have the weekends to spend with your precious family.

I've been where you are and it stinks. No easy answers. Prayers are with you to make the best decision for you and your family. My advice - NO GUILT - regardless of the decision you make. You're doing what has to be done. Don't forget that.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2013

A and/or B
    You might give a thought of reducing your life style to match your loss of income.

For 35 years I worked an extra job, I officiated sports and in the summers I would work construction or summer school and still officiated sports.

One week I officiated: 3 Girls HS Volleyball matches (Fr, JV and Varsity) on Monday, a Jr College Soccer game on Tuesday, another 3 Girls HS Volleyball matches on Wednesday, an HS JV Football game on Thursday, On Friday a Varsity HS Football Game and Saturday 3 Pop Warner Football games. I was in a shot on the 10 PM TV sports report for 5 of the days. I earned about $335 extra that week AND got on TV!!!

It kept me in Shape (as proof of my out of shape body now)
    we had vacation money,
    extra money for nicer things,
    a release of tension (if I threw (ejected) a coach out of a game I was really throwing that pain in the backside kid from 4th period out LOL).

I Earned between $3,000 and $7,000 extra a year and my Taxes showed it!

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

Cza-I'm HOPING this changes soon. He worked from home yesterday and it was so wonderful-we actually had an evening together! We got things done! He changed a diaper! ;)

He's spending this weekend sending out resumes and portfolio videos to agencies/companies in the area. Unfortunately we're moving from a big city (with big incomes) to a very very small town, and he's worried he won't be able to match his current salary or level. So we'll probably be working on our budget, too. Right now, however, our eye is on getting rid of that commute!!

If anyone knows someone who works at Specialty Bikes in Morgan Hill, CA, let me know. There are several positions there he has his eye on.... ;)

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

All I can add is that NC should be ashamed at what it is doing to their teachers.