Working 2nd jobs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SF_Giants66, Dec 15, 2013.

1. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

Has anyone had any experience working night and/or weekend jobs while teaching? How has it worked out?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I did 25 years ago, while saving for my wedding. I waitressed, something I had done all through high school and college. It kept me pretty busy, but really helped financially.

Three kids later, I do a bit of tutoring now. And, when the right opportunity presents itself, I do freelance writing. The great thing about that is that I do it when I have the time, like early mornings.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2013

I've done after school programming, usually tutoring. One year it was 4 nights a week until 5 p.m. That's too much for me. I now do 2 nights a week until 5p.m. And it's only for 6 weeks, then there's a break and we'll do another 6 weeks. It's not a lot of extra cash, but it goes straight into our vacation fund.

Some years I'll do summer school. It just depends on how our finances are & how I'm feeling.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2013

If you can actually find work at home jobs, of course, that makes it easier. My schedule's totally different from now on, starting this week & definitely for the better! I work outside of the home 2 days a week & the other 3 days (4-5 if I want to work some weekends) doing at home work. I'm the type who has been hoping & trying to move from working less outside of the home to more working at home & it's finally starting to happen! :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

I tutor about 6 hours a week plus I teach two eight-week sessions of an after school enrichment class per year.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 15, 2013

I haven't, but it live in a very rural area. I'd have been driving a minimum of 40 miles round trip. It wasn't worth it.

Several of my teacher friends worked weekends and holidays at retail jobs and really liked it. They worked at department stores and loved the employee discounts when they were trying to build a teaching wardrobe. They worked in large cities, do there wasn't travel involved in a second job.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2013

While I had a 2nd job during subbing (25-30 hours a week, at that), I don't think I would be able to handle it right now, especially with this being my first full time teaching experience. I still write math competition tests, but that's at my own pace. Maybe during summer, but right now I want to give my students every moment of my available energy.

9. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

I teach a GED preparation class four evenings a week. It keeps me busy, but it works for me because I am done at 7:00, so it's not too late, and I still have weekends off.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 15, 2013

My first year I worked our after school program from 4-6 four days a week. The extra money was nice, but after already teaching from 8-4 having to teach for another two hours was exhausting, especially since student behaviors were also much worse during the after school program. I didn't do anything my 2nd year and last year I tutored just fro 4-5 two days a week...not a ton of money, but it helped some. I'm at a new school this year and our aftershool program is run by different people, so teachers don't work in it. I'm also doing grad school right now so I probably wouldn't have the time anyway. I have always worked summer school or ESY during the summer. I'd honestly be bored with 2 1/2 months of no job whatsoever, and I end up making about 2,000-3,000 for the summer usually while only working 10-15 hours each week.

11. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

I did all last year - after school program 4 days a week and Saturday school every weekend. ( so roughly 15 hours of work a week on top of my regular hours). I also had a 1 hour commute.

It was incredibly draining, but it got me out of a financial hole. If you need the money, it's doable, but if you're just doing it "because" I don't recommend it.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I worked a retail job at a teacher store for the past 3 years. I worked 5-9 one or two weeknights, and one weekend shift.

It was really tough at first, then I loved it (it was nice to talk to grown-ups, many of whom were also teachers, at the end of the day), and by last spring I was going crazy. It was good extra money, but I was just done. I took on some new responsibilities at school this year, and I really wanted to be more dedicated to my career.

13. Vikram_Kyle

Vikram_Kyle New Member

Dec 17, 2013

Hello,
    Its depend on you, how to mange your life.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 18, 2013

I have. I had a non-related teaching job for about five years. I needed the money, or thought I did. Eventaully, I found that it just was not worth my time. The best thing I ever did was quit. Honestly, I am not sure how I did it.

15. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 18, 2013

I coach basketball if that counts as a second job. It feels as if I have two full time jobs! Plus of course trying to spend time with my wife and little girl....

16. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 18, 2013

I supervise after school programs, babysit, and tutor. Some days I'm a little exhausted, but mostly I enjoy seeing kids in a different context.