Workers Compensation question and migrant preschool concern

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 18, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 18, 2018

Hello everyone. I received a promising email from the director after I sent her my undergraduate transcripts. She told me that she thoroughly enjoyed the interview and will get back to me very soon. I hope that this means I am considered for the position.
    Although the position schedule is similar to public school, the months we are off we will not get paid. If I can remember correctly the director explained that we will receive a slip that says we are laid off where we can apply for workers comp during those months. My question is how much does workers compensation pay out a month? I am living in the state of Georgia and I am not sure about the worker's comp laws I have heard varying answers. Some say a lot and others say not so much.
    I also asked about the age range of the students and they range from 3-5 years old. I feel like that is too much of an age difference for a classroom. I am hoping she meant 3-4 and a half years old. It also looks like I will be spending the majority of my time planning for differentiation and documenting during planning. Teachers are not allowed to take work home. Everything must be done within the two hour planning period.
    The job reminds me so much of social service which was a previous career. I will have to conduct developmental screenings, follow IEPs, and also do home visits. I hope I get this job. I need to be closer to where I live and networking with others in the city.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 18, 2018

Will you have a contract if hired? I think that will determine whether you can apply for unemployment.

4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 18, 2018

I don't think so but teachers get workers compensation

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2018

Teachers get workman's comp for injuries. Being out because your job is finished for the year makes you just like any other teacher. The months you are not working would not be eligible for unemployment in NJ - we've had this battle over school bus drivers who take the job knowing they will not be working in the summer. This issue comes up periodically. They used to allow them to draw unemployment in the summer, but they know about the timing when they accept the job. The state calls it a defined work year, and the summer is ineligible for unemployment insurance.

What makes your three months off different from my three months off? Mine is in the summer, your's is in the winter. Your wage is better than what you have had, but substandard for a teacher. That should not be the deciding factor for unemployment. If the plan is for you to return in three months, you are simply not working, but you know it going in. If you took a job as a life guard at the pool for the summer, the job would start on Memorial Day, and end on Labor Day. You will not get to draw unemployment through the winter when the pool is closed.

I strongly suggest contacting the state unemployment insurance office closest to you for more information. It is something else if you are terminated, but a regularly scheduled shut down is generally not eligible. If you are fired during the school year, you would probably be eligible for benefits. Generally, those benefits are about 60% of the wage, with at least a couple of week wait for benefits to become eligible, and then there are hoops to jump through applying for available jobs, etc. for benefits to continue, with a set time limit of availability.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2018

If I were you, I would be thinking that at the end of one "year" you will need to get your practicum underway, and nothing about this job description seems as if it would be applicable for the student teaching, which kind of makes it a moot point. You would work for them for a year, be a full time student for a full semester for your practicum, and then, if all goes well, eligible for your certification. You would be in the job hunt with everyone else.

Without getting into your finances, my son lived at home and used his saved salary from prior jobs to have money during the student teaching. If you are living alone, you may want to consider a room mate to halve the things like rent, expenses so that you can remain independent from your parents, especially since you will be student teaching in GA.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 18, 2018

good point. I will actually have my certificate by June or July. I was hoping to be teaching while gaining student teaching experience. I'm not sure if that would work but we have to past the test by August

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2018

It is rare that you can be employed and earning a salary while doing your practicum, in my experience. It is a full time learning experience, where you will be learning from your mentor teachers, often with long hours and a lot of work. Since you are strictly online, I don't know how you will be monitored, so I will not offer opinions.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 18, 2018

No.

czacza likes this.
  10. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 18, 2018

We will be monitor by GCU staff in the area

11. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 18, 2018

So possibly I can temporarily work here and maybe find employment in the school system.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

OP, you should count on being able to work here for a season, through the end of this year. If I have followed your posts correctly, your practicum will start in the beginning of 2019. I don't know if you will have to find the school for that, or if GCU will do that for you. Once you have a placement, the practicum lasts a semester. During that time, my son wasn't able to work to earn money either time. I say that as a plural because he did a practicum in one content are in undergrad, then did a practicum as a grad student when he went in a completely different direction/content. He lived at home for that second practicum, and it was long hours with no time to work. Taking it as an undergrad, it was paid for by tuition while he lived in the dorm, so lumped into to money we paid. The second one, he had to stop subbing/working, and concentrate on the work. He lived at home, we provided everything he needed, and he had saved some money from working the year leading up to the practicum. He had no bills - car paid for, insurance on our policy, food in the kitchen, internet provided by parents, and still he felt stressed with the amount of work. FWIW, people can fail their practicums, so they are something to take seriously.

13. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 19, 2018

If you are able to get unemployment insurance (and it's possible you can't for reasons @vickilyn stated), then the cap is half of your gross salary, and only up to a certain amount, per week. You are expected to be job-searching during that time. Any paid work you perform must be reported and will be deducted from your unemployment.

14. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

OK now I'm wondering should I just take the private kindergarten position with parents? At least it's not seasonal and I can possibly work it into my practicum

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

Curious- have you been offered the migrant school position? You have a lot to consider. Money seems to be a big issue-and your parents have a poor history of paying you. You're going to have an issue either way when it comes to student teaching. Either make a clean break with your parents, put on your big girl panties and move on or continue with the exhausting drama of working with your parents.

kpa1b2 likes this.
  16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 19, 2018

For selfish reasons, I would encourage you to work for your parents, but that's just so I have some good reading with my morning coffee. Every other part of me says anything is better than working for those parents of yours.

17. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 19, 2018

Work with your parents when the migrant school is closed.

TeacherCuriousExplore and czacza like this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

:rofl:

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

Let's keep in mind that the parents and their school are in Florida and OP is getting credentials in Georgia. The parents school almost certainly won't qualify for her practicum - who's going to mentor her there?

The truth is that the practicum is something that she should be talking to her university about, since we can only guess what will or will not be allowed. Has anyone here done a practicum with GCU?

20. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

I contacted my field experience advisor and I am able to student teach I'm GA and in Florida

21. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

But that is when my practicum starts

22. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 19, 2018

Then what exactly is the problem? You can't work while you do your student teaching. You haven't been offered the migrant position yet, so don't assume. Keep applying, but know that whatever job you get will be affected by your practicum in the fall. Whatever job you get, save as much money as you can.
    Working for your parents WILL. NOT. GO. WELL. You have proven this through posts time and time again, as many other users keep reminding you. I'm not sure why this idea that working in their kindergarten will somehow be better is so stuck as an option. They overload you on hours, take advantage of your lack of boundaries, and often refuse to pay you. It's also a long commute in a state you will not be certified to teach in. Just because it's a different position doesn't mean those things will change.

I'm not trying to be mean or harsh - but you have received a lot of advice and suggestions from many users on this forum and still you come back to, "Should I just go back to my parents?" when the answer is a resounding and emphatic NO. At this point it seems that if you do go back to your parents, your school will be put on hold (because you cannot work and do a practicum at the same time), you'll have the exact same financial problems you've been having in the past due to a long commute and inconsistent or nonexistent paychecks, and you'll come to post the same problems and complaints you've been posting for years.

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

I am most concerned that you won't have a mentor teacher in the private K school, since you are planning on running the show, and you have the certificate for preK, but not a valid full teacher's certificate for K-6. That should be setting off bells and whistles in your head. Furthermore, the practicum isn't about you working for your parents, but learning how to teach within the constructs of what you have learned through the courses you are taking. What part of "working during the practicum to earn a salary" is highly frowned up on do you not understand? The practicum is hard work. I don't know how many times that needs to be said for you to believe it.

How about moving in with your parents and finding a school for a practicum in the vicinity, not your parent's school? They would have the honor of supporting their daughter as she pursues and completes her goals, and your money problems would fade away. THAT actually makes sense as long as you/they realize they are there to support you, not to try to get you to sabotage your practicum by getting you to "fill in" in any of their businesses.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    czacza and miss-m like this.
  24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

This is what I was going to suggest. If they don't want to have you live there for free, you could offer to pay a certain amount of "rent" as long as you are getting paid. If you work for them and they don't pay you, you don't pay them.

None of the situations you have presented are ideal, and you jump from "what if" to "what if" faster than many of us can keep up. You need to take an honest look at your needs, recognize that your practicum will be a full-time unpaid job, and make decisions from there.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

But doubtfully in a classroom of your own in a job for which you are being paid.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 19, 2018

I say it's time to cut the apron strings with your parents. You have some decisions to make. Think about your end goal and how are you going to get there. That should tell you something.

27. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

The only school there is the local elementary school. I wonder if they allow the students to be employed with public school teaching while in the practicum.

28. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

So, I got more information on student teaching. Being that I am a Masters degree student, I am able to teach in a full time contracted position and instead of being assigned a coop teacher, I will be assigned a mentor. Hopefully, if it is possible, I can get a job teaching in a P-12 public school. I need to earn my certs before August of this year to apply at public schools if I am not hired at the migrant school

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

How do you earn your certs before completing your education?

Remember that you still won't have Florida certification, only Georgia certification.

30. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

Before we student teach, we have to pass the cert testing

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

But the certs are in Georgia, aren't they?

32. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 19, 2018

First of all, I think you meant unemployment, NOT workers comp. That's for injuries that happened on the job.
    Also, DO NOT go back to your parents.
    And last, 3-5 years old is the normal age range for a head start classroom. Yes, it's mixed age, so it can be a bit hard when it comes to doing age appropriate activities, but you'll have some smart 3-year-olds and some "slow" 5-year-olds. It's just what you have to do. You'll get used to it. I always have to find two different activities for every lesson. One for the more advanced kids and one for the others. Some activities will work for both groups.

33. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

yes unemployment lol! Thanks for clearing that up. Where did I come up with workers comp!
    I will definitely need some ideas from you if I am hired lol

34. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

Yes but we can still student teach in Florida

35. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

Why? Are FL and GA certs interchangeable? If you have one, does it work in the other? I am understanding that both have their own teacher certification exams, that are each unique to their state.

36. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 19, 2018

from my understanding yes teachers are able teach with two different certification from another state

37. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2018

Is this just student teaching? Why bother having different teacher certification exams if it doesn't really matter? Just something that I would want to know FOR SURE before making set in stone plans.

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 27, 2018

You could always read some tabloid magazines. Or a horror novel! Just as good!