Workbooks...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissK2015, Sep 8, 2018.

1. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018

After 4 years in Kindergarten, I am teaching second grade!

Enjoying it but stressed with all the grading. At our school we are expected to grade everything and make sure that students fix their mistakes and I also want them to.

We have about 5 different workbooks. Any tips on how to make sure that everyone turns in their workbooks since verbally and writing a checklist on the board doesn't help. Also how do you manage having them go back and fix their mistakes and blanks that they may have missed after grading that assignment. It is getting hard to juggle and remember who had to fix what. Sooner or later I think I will have a student who gets away with not correcting anything. I am scared of that! How do you folks manage to correct so many things!? I know a lot of the teachers come in over the weekends but any other ideas????

We also have to teach from our textbooks and then have students do workbook pages after. How can I make this fun but still manageable so I keep up with my grade level and I am not behind. We are on a time crunch so it is hard to have them do other things besides seat work :(

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 8, 2018

I can't imagine having to grade every single thing. That's nuts! Feedback is good and it would ultimately benefit students, but that's a lot of work. Can you get some parent help maybe?

To make sure you get them all, try this:
    1) everyone holds up their notebook
    2) one assigned person in each row or group collects them
    3) those assigned people put them in your designated spot

4. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Sep 14, 2018

Grade it while they work on it! I usually cycle around my classroom and mark it right on their paper. They make their corrections and I check again.

otterpop likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 14, 2018

Grade it while they work on it or have them hand them in, and you check when they are coming in that everyone present has handed it in. How that looks will depend on how your students are seated.

Rows are an easy example. 5 kids are in a 5 student row that day, have them hand them forward. Do a quick count to see if you have all 5. Then collect the books from the front or have the first student put them in the desired location. Same can be done for tables. Circulate around and have the table leader put the books where you want them.

6. MissK2015

MissK2015 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018