Work Stations

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mjennings, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 28, 2009

This year while my kids are working on guided writing with me...they will be working on Work Stations.

here are some work stations I plan to have...

ABC-
    Listening-
    Reading-
    Puzzles/Games-
    Writing-
    Math-
    Smiley Face-
    Content-
    Art-
    Word Work-
    Electronics-
    Stamping/Magnets-

We have 7 1st grade teachers...we are planning to come up with ideas for these work stations and then rotating them with each other every two weeks...that give the kids enough time to go through each work station

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what they kids should do work each work station....

this is the first year we are doing this....

thanks

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

I have some of the same work stations. Some of the activities stay the same, so there is no need for planning, such as: computer, listening, pocket chart. The other stations my teaching partner and I split up and each plan a couple and then share. Some of the activities and stations I have are:
    Poetry: mix and fix poem of the week
    ABC: phonics, rhyming activities and games
    Word: practice spelling words/patterns
    Math: math game or manipulatives
    Pocket Chart: mix and fix sentences with spelling words--these are sentences made with the class during a shared writing spelling lesson
    Book Making: pretty self-explanatory, but they are usually theme related activity books from Edhelper. Sometimes they make their own books.
    Writing: alternate with a writing prompt and write the room
    Buddy Reading: my students do this once a day...they choose a book tub from the classroom library and buddy read or read to self
    Computers: play an educational computer game
    Listening: listen to a story on cd and respond
    Art: theme related art activities
    Puzzles: last year I had this one but I am going to do something different this year, not sure what yet though

4. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Thanks for your ideas...but I was wondering what activities are u actually doing...for example Art: what are they doing one week, and the what will they do the second week, etc...

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

It just depends on what theme we are doing for that week. For example, last winter one of our art projects was making a snowman card. We had the snowman parts for them to decorate and cut and paste onto paper and then they folder the paper into a card. The possibilities are endless. There are many sites on the internet to look for easy art projects. At the beginning of the year sometimes I just put in play dough, watercolors, etc. while we are "practicing" the stations.