Work skirts: How long do they have to be?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by frtrd, May 19, 2013.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 20, 2013

This for sure. Check the inseam and then measure where it lands on you. You will know best when trying it on if it's too short or not. Like I said with me, I'm short so I have a lot more options because "short" skirts are not necessarily short on me.

2. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 20, 2013

I think they are fine and would wear them, as long as they aren't too tight.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 21, 2013

Same here! Many of the skirts that look like the ones the OP posted are very appropriate on me.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 21, 2013

IMO, they are way too short.

I am wearing a jean skirt today, and it sits about 1 inch above my knee. I have leggings on underneath. The only time I don't wear leggings with my skirts or dresses at work is when they go below the knee.

Maybe I'm a bit prudish? ;)

5. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

May 22, 2013

You really have to try them on. The models in the pictures typically have abnormally long legs, so the skirts might actually be a perfect length on anyone else. My legs are longer in the thigh area, so these would probably look short on me (unfortunately- they are super cute!). I'd try them on and if they are close enough to the knee, I'd imagine you'd be fine.

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 22, 2013

Also, if I ever have to question whether something is work appropriate or not, I just assume that it is not and I don't wear it.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 22, 2013

This. Today I wore a dress that is really comfortable, but I wish I hadn't worn it because I'm having to clean out my classroom and it keep riding up a little bit higher than I would prefer.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 22, 2013

I'm prudish too, I guess. :)

I don't do leggings (don't like them on me) but I agree with this exactly, except with tights.

If a skirt/dress hits more than MAYBE an inch above my knee, I won't wear it at all. If it hits within an inch above my knee, I wear tights. Since it's pretty hot half the year here, that means I only wear it in the winter/early spring.

My skirts and dresses are mostly knee length or below. I don't wear anything floor length, though.

I am in my late 20s. I am hardly a "school marm," as was mentioned before. I just want to be able to move without worrying about my clothes and I want to look professional.

Of course, I teach 1st grade, so I spend a good portion of the day sitting on a chair with the kids sitting on the carpet in front of me. I feel really uncomfortable if my knees aren't covered on the chair, since my kids' faces are about at the level of my knees. I also crouch down, sometimes sit on the floor in a circle with the kids, etc.

BUT, even if I taught older kids and didn't have all the moving to worry about, I would probably still follow the same "prudish" rules I've set for myself. :)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 22, 2013

I teach secondary. I'm never crouching or sitting anywhere except behind my desk, and that's not usually when kids are in the room. My kids are rarely, if ever in the floor. That does make a difference in what I can wear.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 22, 2013

I do agree with that - I just said that I personally would still want longer skirts.

I really think a lot of it has to do with personal preference, as well.

I don't even like wearing short dresses in regular (non work) life. It's a constant point of frustration for me because it seems like that's all that exists anymore - short or maxi - and I'm too tall to get away with wearing shorter dresses and having them be longer on me.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 23, 2013

I agree with this!

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 23, 2013

Way too short for me- my rule is that my skirts have to go down to the knees.