Work skirts: How long do they have to be?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by frtrd, May 19, 2013.

1. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 19, 2013

Technically, we just have to meet the student dress code, which is three inches above the knee. But, I very rarely see teachers wear anything that doesn't come to the knee. When they do, students inevitably say something to them.

I would check with the district where you will be, and the specific school, as dress codes vary greatly.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 19, 2013

I don't see a problem with them.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

I think those are fine.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

They are all pretty skirts and totally appropriate but this is my advise. If you are a young, attractive woman new to teaching high school, you have to be very careful to project a professional, grown-up demeanor so the boys don't look at you a sexy young woman. My boys would come home all the time commenting on their teachers'wardrobe - tight, could tell they were wearing a thong, short, sheer, can see their bra or cleavage, etc. etc. I wanted them to think about what their teacher was teaching - not wearing. So, it will all depend on how they fit you and what you combine them with in an outfit.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 19, 2013

I think they are fine, but you have to try them on to see how long they are on you. If you have a similar style you could put it on and see where 18 inches ends on you.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 19, 2013

I think they are perfectly fine, but I myself would not feel comfortable in them. By the time I would sit down they'd rise up way too high. I like my skirts to be at knee length, and sometimes (especially in cooler weather) I wear ankle length skirts.

9. bison

bison Habitué

May 19, 2013

I agree that those would be much too high when sitting, but I can only speak for my own body and height. I wore a dress about that length last night and it was essentially a mini when I sat down. If you're shorter, OP, they might be fine. Just try them on and sit down in the dressing room first.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 19, 2013

I would try them on. Walk around. Squat. Sit down.

I have short legs. A 19 inch skirt is long on me, but is short on the model. A skirt three inches above my knee looks short on me.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

I'd wear them.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 19, 2013

I think they are entirely too short. And I know I will be in the minority, but I wanted to provide a perspective others in the school may share.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 19, 2013

Totally appropriate. I'd wear them.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

May 19, 2013

I'd say too short. Stick with at the knee or below.

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

I'm not sure, but I think they're fine. I'm short, so those skirts tend to fall a bit lower on me anyways, and I don't wear heels, making them fall even lower.

Also, I would wear a skirt at that length, but maybe but tights under it if I'm not sure about the length.

EDIT: Looking at the pictures again, I think they are too short on the model. I guess it depends on how long your legs are...but I wouldn't wear anything higher than 1-2 inches above the knee to be on the safe side.

16. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 19, 2013

Those are too short, IMO. I stick to at least knee length, if not longer. I also think the skirts are too "body hugging", I like to wear a skirt with a bit of flare. But again, I know I'm in the minority.

I second the comments from a previous poster about being a young, attractive teacher in a high school setting. I work in middle school (8th grade) and have "bat like" hearing, and I hear how my male students talk about another young teacher who wears skirts like that. Let me tell you....they're not talking about her stellar teaching skills! I feel like I dress quite conservatively for a young person, and even I had a parent tell me that her son likes my class because he thinks I'm "hot". When you're young, it can be very hard to maintain a professional role in the mind of teenage boys. Don't make things harder on yourself by showing too much skin.

17. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 19, 2013

I'm short 5'1" so I inevitably buy "shorter" skirts, because skirts that come to the knee on a model will be bracing my calf, lol. I am a clothes horse--addicted to shopping and new clothes. At school, I can literally wear a different outfit every single day of the school year because I have over 100 dressy tops in my closet. On top of that, I am very, very, very particular about my skirts--I will only where a skirt if it comes to just above the knee. So you can see my knee, but no thigh. Anything covering the knee makes me look even shorter, so that's out.

In teaching, I think there is nothing wrong with just above the knee, or maybe even an inch or two above the knee. It inevitably comes down to how tall they are on you. Those skirts would be miniskirts on some tall people and could be too conservative for church on short people (that's an exaggeration I know ;))

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

I go with the fingertip rule which is just a bit shorter than those posted. I think in most schools those posted would be fine, but a lot depends on body shape, self image, and perhaps most important the culture within one works.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

I would say too short. To or below the knee would be my rule. But I dress very conservative for school.

20. a2z

a2z Maven

May 19, 2013

OK, I have to admit, this isn't the picture of you I had in my head. I would never have expected you to think fingertip length skirts were work acceptable.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

Hmmm makes me wonder what your picture of me looks like? school marm?

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 19, 2013

I wouldn't wear them, but that's because I sometimes have the kids sit on the carpet and then I sit on a chair in front of them, and I know it would be way too short when sitting. If you stand or sit at a table all day I think it's fine. Our technical dress code is the "finger tip" rule but anyone who actually wears stuff that short always wears leggings underneath. I don't wear a skirt to work without leggings unless it's at least knee length. As others suggested, they may look longer on you than the model- that's usually the case for me.

23. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

These are definitely not too long.......

24. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 19, 2013

I would not wear those to work. As a younger teacher, I strongly agree with the fact that you have to dress more conservatively than some more mature teachers might. I will not wear anything to work above my knees, or if it's right at the line, I make sure to wear tights or leggings underneath.

25. a2z

a2z Maven

May 19, 2013

:toofunny:
    :toofunny:

No, not that extreme. Just more conservative in dress.

Of course, there are those cat glasses --- just kidding.:eek:

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

I wear high heels, dress pants or fingertip length skirt/ dress ( some are a bit longer).... Jackets, cardigans, pashminas...fabulous accessories...and yes, reading glasses...somewhat conservative, but definitely fashionable, body type and age appropriate. Leggings don't work for me...I'm too tall. I'd wear any of the skirts posted. Ann Taylor has beautiful clothing.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 19, 2013

Fingertip length isn't a good way to tell either. Because I have short legs and a long torso, my fingertips do not come past my behind. I could wear shorts with my butt cheeks hanging out and still pass the fingertip test. :eek:

And those skirts wouldn't be form fitting on me either. I have narrow hips and thighs, so if anything was clingy on my hips and thighs, it wouldn't fasten around my waist.

I have tall friends who have a mile of leg in anything they wear. And my big booty friends have a bit of "va-va voom" look in whatever they wear, whether it is tight or not. It's the same way with shirts for me. There's not really any way to hide big boobs. Even when I don't have cleavage showing or a tight shirt, there they are!

Try things on. If it looks good on you, wear it.

28. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 19, 2013

Those would not meet the dress code at my school. Way too short.

29. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

Go with what you are comfortable with for your body. Those might work, it just depends. You don't want to be too short and come off in the wrong way, but there is nothing wrong with looking good on the job either. I don't think it has to be all the way down to the knees.

30. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

May 19, 2013

Too short.

31. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

-If baby got back, then anything above the knees would be too short.
    -If you plan to sit in front of the class and cross your legs, then avoid wearing any skirts above your knees.
    -If you want to be comfortable, and not stir the hormones of your young men in your class, then avoid skirts above your knees at all costs.
    -What length are you comfty with? Use your GREAT judgement according to what you plan to do for the day, AND dress accordingly.
    Rebel1

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

As for stirring the hormones of young men in the class...
    It wont matter whether the skirt is above the knee, at the knee, or just below the knee. If she has great legs, they are going to be stirred. I only had 2 or 3 teachers throughout high school and college that I considered above average attractive. I guarantee I paid more attention in those classes than any other. One in high school and twice in college. Made me look forward to going to class. But it didn't matter what they were wearing, just an added bonus if more skin was shown.

33. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

Clever. Never did anything dumb as a student in those situations, but sure did talk about the teacher/professor with other guys afterwards. The best one was during my teaching program. I don't think the girls/women in that class were given much chance to talk during discussions.

34. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

We had a couple of guys in our Senior and Junior classes who did the same. In fact one of them ended up marrying one of the teachers, when we got to college, and we were like, "Yuck! She's old enough to be your Mom!" It's funny because the guy liked her daughter, BUT Mama turned around and stole him from her! She told her daughter that he was too old for her. How about he was too young for Mama?:eek:
    OMGoodness!
    Rebel1

35. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

I was never a fan of going after someone who was old enough to be my mom. The one in our ed. class was only a couple years older than me at the time.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 19, 2013

Like Ima, if I used the fingertip rule I'd be showing my lady parts. For real. Not cute or appropriate. I feel pretty strongly that all teachers should be wearing skirts that at least hit the knee.

37. bison

bison Habitué

May 19, 2013

I have long legs and the fingertip rule also leaves me showing a lot of thigh. I don't think it's really considered work appropriate in this area unless the person has very long arms or something. I know things vary by region.

38. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 19, 2013

I couldn't raise my arms and keep all important bits safely covered, so I'm right there with you.

I think one to two inches above the knee is about as high as the hemline should go and still be practical for teaching.

39. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 19, 2013

I couldn't wear them to work because I sit on the rug a lot. If I did wear them I would need either shorts or leggings to go with them. I usually stick with knee length or just above the knee. I like the style of skirt; but find it incredibly awkward at work. I end up climbing on top of things, sitting cross legged, kneeling down to comfort or discuss things with short people, running after little ones... all of which do not work well with narrow skirts.

40. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 20, 2013

adding...

I don't think all women realize how much shows when wearing skirts. Some look in the mirror while standing up and freshly dressed and think that's how they look all day long.

But after stretching to reach something the back may rise up. When bending over there might be a lot more exposed that you'd expect. A coworker of mine wore a modest knee-length skirt to work and had no clue that her crotch was surprisingly visible when she sat down. Due to the shape of her thighs, I guess, there was a lot of empty space under that skirt when she sat down. I couldn't see everything that God gave her, but I did know that she and Victoria share a secret.

41. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 20, 2013

So, I just looked at all of them (love the first one!) and my first thought was they would be way too short.

But I, of course, am not a 6 foot model. I am 5'3 and wear a 28" inseam. So I broke out the tape measure. Each skirt would meet the dress code for me (to the top of the knee - in the back - and baby don't got back, so it's all good).

I'd get a tape measure and make sure it comes to an appropriate length on your body.