work folder or baskets? what's best???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iloveschool, Jun 26, 2011.

1. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jun 26, 2011

I am teaching first grade next year and have a question about daily work. The other teachers in my grade level have a work folder for each students that is kept in their desks. As they finish their work they put it in the folder. At the end of the day they turn in the folders. With this method it seems it would be easier to check and see all work was actually done by each student and that papers weren't just stuffed into the desk. Also, you would know which papers belong to each student incase they do not have a name on them. Getting in and out of their seats would be cut down by using the folder system too. I thought about using a basket system where they turn in each paper as they finished. I think this would work well because the papers would already be sorted by subject and I could start grading during conference by just grabbing a stack instead of going through all the folders. What do you think? What is the best method? Do you have other ideas?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

I think the folders would do the job. Students in 1st grade often forget to write their names on their papers, so it would be great to have it in an identifiable folder. Also, some students will just stick it in any basket, which would lead to more sorting, not less.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

The folders would probably work best with first grade. I use the baskets with my sixth graders and they still forget names and which basket to put papers in.

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

My kids have a daily folder that they take home each day. I have a bucket for them to place it in labeled "Daily Folder" and every child has the same color. I use this to check homework and other notes from parents etc...

For daily work, I have another bucket labeled "Daily Work" and they know at the certain times of the day they turn in their work to this bucket. It does take some time, and lots of reminding them, but they get into the habit pretty quickly. Within a few months, the kids know...if the work isn't in that bucket then I won't grade it. (yes, our school gives actual grades in 1st) I find that it helps them learn responsibility and helps them learn quickly to put their name on things, which is a big deal in our 2nd grade.

I also use a third bucket with color coded folders called "Friday Folders". All graded work goes into this and is sent home each Friday with a parent signature page attached to the folder. This ensures parents ARE seeing their work and if they have questions, they can write me a msg on the forms.

It all seems like a lot, but it worked really well last year and I will do it again this year with my first graders.

6. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jun 26, 2011

Mommyserenity- So all their work goes into one basket? Give some more details on the "certain times of the day" part. What if they aren't finished with a paper when it is time to turn it in? We do a rotation and a different teacher stays in each week during recess. All students not finished with work have to stay in with the teacher. We also give grades at my school. Do you have a penality for not putting their name on each paper?

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2011

No name on the paper = no grade. The only exception to this rule is if I can figure out who's paper it is. (i.e. only 1 child forgot to put their name on their paper.) When I do worksheets whole group, I collect and paperclip together. I then sort by name to grade & enter into the grade book.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

I have a finished work basket and an unfinsished work basket. They are next to each other. I used to let them put their work in the basket as they finished but then it was constant getting up and some students would look around and try to finish theirs quickly to keep up.
    I changed it to at the end of a time period for example when language arts was over I would call students by tables to put their work in the finished basket or unfinished work basket. But while everyone was working they had to keep it on the corner of their desk.

I hope this is not confusing.

So that system worked good but then I finally decided that the best system was to have the students keep their work on the corner of their desk until math or language arts was over. Then at the end I was tell the students to put their whole tables work in piles of finished work and unfinished work and each table would have a leader bring the whole tables work to me.

It worked because the students learned to work together. The work was always separated for me. The other good things is although I hate when names are not on papers but when I graded it and there was not a name I could easily figure out whose it was because it was grouped by tables. It was also easy to hand back out after it was graded.

Let me know if you need me to explain a bit better.

9. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jun 26, 2011

VANewbie- when do the students get to work on unfunished work. Lets say they finished early in math and had an unfinished science paper from earlier in the day. Could they work on unfinished work during extra time?

10. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jun 26, 2011

I have a finished work basket and I work in first grade. Last year was my first year, so looking back I think that I will probably use it again. Almost all of my students put their names on their papers consistently because I reminded them consistently. We also don't list enough folders on our supply list to have this AND a centers folder, which I find to be more important. I don't collect their work from centers until the end of the week, so I have always found a folder to be good for that purpose.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2011

I too have a finished basket, and unfinished work cubbies. My kids occasionally forget names, but because they have an extra year before 1st (pre-first), they are actually the age of 2nd graders. Most students are responsible enough to put their names on. I think it might depend on your group as well, depending on how forgetful they might be, or might not be.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

I let my students finish their unfinished work for morning work. But yes if they did get finished with something in math then I would let them work on something for science only sometimes.
    Each morning I hand back unfinished work for them to complete. I know my students so some students if I knew it was too much for them to complete I would only have them finish one sheet that was really important.

Most of the time they would finish for morning work.

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

We break our work times into subjects...so at the end of "morning work" they turn in as they transition to math morning meeting on the carpet. After ELA, they turn in work as they transition to math time, etc...If they do not finish, then they keep it at their desk and have to finish it during free time period or it goes home with HW with a note to be signed. I then go thru the basket during planning and just put things into stacks so I can grade it, correct it, etc...they catch on pretty quickly that if the paper isn't in the box , then I am NOT coming to find it in their desk! As for the names, the first few weeks I try to check to make sure names are put on papers. I usually say something right before a transition time like "Our work time is about over. Please check to make sure you put your name on your paper before you turn it in" As we get farther into the year, the rule of thumb is no name...no grade. A few times of me calling out names that I have no work for, and making them go through the nameless papers in the box, usually makes an impression.