Work Ethic

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 7, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 7, 2011

I just wonder sometimes where people's work ethic is.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 7, 2011

How awful. We've had a few teachers like that at my school over the last few years, but luckily, none of them were on my team. I would be really frustrated to see someone I tried to help quit without a word to anyone on the team. Hopefully you'll find someone great to take her position who will be able to make up for lost time with the kids.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2011

It sounds like a rotten situation, but there must be more to the story. Was she ill? Was this her first year and she just felt way over her head? Was she having personal problems? It's also possible, of course, that she is just a flake.

You and your team still did a good job helping her feel prepared and welcome. The rest was up to her. It's too bad that it didn't work out.

5. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Sep 7, 2011

Goodness. Way to go to you and your team for being so welcoming and helpful. I'm sure there's more going on. This is my first year, and I have already had many days where I seriously wished I could just go in and quit (I get over it and hope it's a new teacher thing). However, I can't think of ANY circumstance that would prevent her from making a two minute phone call...

Good luck to you guys left with the effects!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 7, 2011

That is just sad, and now, she has risked her certificate. I would guess that something more is going on, though I admit kindergarten is overwhelming in the first few weeks. I can't imaging anyone making it through this period without a good solid knowlege of how rough the beginning of the year is and that it will get better.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 7, 2011

Yeah-but it's a good school, a positive team and it was a good class-no behavior issues (which is very rare).

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 7, 2011

I'm getting worried about one of the new teachers in my department. She mentioned to me that she thought she could teach at our school as if it were a part time position. Anyone who reads my posts knows I bust my tush on a regular basis. The principal is also nervous about the possibility this teacher might give up before the end of the first quarter. Perhaps both teachers are dealing with an onslaught of reality.

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2011

That is tough for the little ones, but at least it has happened early in the year. I try to remind myself that as wrong or unexplainable someones actions may be, we don't truly know what is going on in their personal lives that would cause them not to come back.

10. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Sep 7, 2011

I'm sorry to hear about this situation from every angle - the new teacher, the faculty, and the students. She is obviously going through something, and hopefully she can return to the days when she outshown other candidates. Hopefully you as a staff will be able to cover the lost time and abscence of learning. And finally, hopefully the kids will be able to learn and get through everything they need to, despite an early setback. I wish you all the best of luck and good fortune the rest of the year.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Sep 7, 2011

Sorry to hear about that.... That is really rough, hopefully you guys will be able to find a replacement who is way better than the first :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2011

That really stinks.

You've got to wonder just what she expected from a job. I think too many people enter teaching forgetting that it's WORK. And that student teaching isn't the real thing-- there's a huge difference. If you're overwhelmed, it's time for some deep breaths, a quick pity party, then it's time to dig yourself out.

To be honest, I've read a too many posts that contain the phrase "but I'm a first year teacher." Yes, I know all about how it really can get ovewhelming.

Either you're a full professional or you're not. The cover letters and resumes I've worked on here all proclaimed that the job applicants were professionals, not interns. So I have trouble with the pleas for a decreased workload by those same professionals a few weeks later.

Sorry, I'm probably coming across as less sympathetic than I should. It was a 12 hour school day, then trips to 2 different stores trying to find the supplies on the middle school lists (not posted online ahead of time-- really, do they need EXTRA FINE point sharpies for art??? Do you have any idea how hard those are to find????) followed by a fruitless (so far) search for my thumb drive so I can do NHS stuff.

Anyway, I can understand getting overwhelmed. And perhaps it was best for the kids that she did quit. You've described your work enviornment many times; it seems that if she couldn't cut it in your school, she was in the wrong profession.

But she was wrong to string your kids and your faculty along while pretending to be sick. That's not what adults or professionals do. They don't lie, and they take responsibility for thier actions.

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 7, 2011

Agree with Caeser - get the full story.

You may be exactly right, just as you called it. Once all the facts are known and if she is still "guilty" then blast away.

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 7, 2011

It's unfortunate that she didn't feel she could ask for help if she was overwhelmed, but there may have been more to the story than she felt like sharing...perhaps a family member was ill, perhaps she decided the grade level or teaching in general wasn't for her.

Bottom line is, she quit. She's gone. You can't change it. You have to move forward and not spend too much time thinking about it.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 8, 2011

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 8, 2011

First year teaching IS overwhelming. I'm even okay with a little whining about it. I get it. There is a HUGE learning curve. BUT if you want to be treated as a professional, you have to behave like one. It's not exclusive to the teaching field. There was one job where my husband had to read and study every night so he could learn this particular sector of his related field. Different people go in and need different amounts of support, but in the end it is up to US to figure out how to get what we need and step up to the plate. Not everyone gets mentors. Not everyone even has student teaching. At the end of the day, professionals do whatever they need to do to get the job done. Sure the first year won't go off without a hitch. Perfectionism won't happen. Yet we should strive, as professionals, to not only get through it but continue to get better. Nobody expects an overnight veteran but we do all expect someone to put in whatever they need to put in to do whatever they need to do to learn and accomplish the job.

There may have been something else going on, and yes I can see people being sick early because I see that on the boards every year, but unless someone is in the hospital themselves, I do not find it professional for a mother to have to make the call for sick leave.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2011

I did my master's thesis on new teacher induction, so I might be a little biased, but I feel sorry for her. I also feel like maybe there is more going on here. It sounds like you did everything you could from her end to help her out.

And having her mom call her out is unacceptable for an adult, unless something serious happened. Helicopter parents!

18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2011

I would not take it personally. She has internal issues most of us probably have no clue about. Wanting to teach and learning to teach are pretty much abstract. When it becomes the real thing we all know its more than a challenge sometimes. I knew a lady
    who taught for years and then had a nervous breakdown (we used to call it that). Tried to come back again and could not do it. This girl/woman, for whatever reason, could not handle it. Better to quit than do those kids no good. She was probably too embarrassed to come back and explain. Now you will find a good one because so many are out there looking, I heard a national board certified elem teacher was let go in Calif. cause she was "last hired". Imagine that.