Work Email Using Your Personal Cell Phone

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 23, 2012

How many of you check & respond to work email using your personal cell phone? For those who do, do you write off part of your bill during tax time?

I don't & don't plan to. Things aren't that hectic where I need to...yet & I hope things never get to that point. One of the RSP teachers at one of my schools sends/replies using her cell ALL THE TIME, even during school hours. The school psych at one of my schools does at times. I don't notice any of the general ed teachers at my schools doing it.

3. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Feb 23, 2012

I do it. If I know something is going on with a particular student, and I know their parent will be in touch with me, I will check and respond on my cell or laptop from home. I don't use my cell while at school, though - we don't use cell phones at all during school hours.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2012

I use my phone constantly throughout the day. We use our phones to check roll and email. My personal and school email both come to my phone and I check it more on my phone than my computer. My computer is usually hooked up to the projector in my classroom so I read the incoming mail on my phone. I do not deduct it off my income tax.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 23, 2012

I have to use my phone for work but I wouldn't write it off. One thing to keep in mind is that many phone companies have discounts on their contracts for teachers! You might be able to call them and have them take off a percentage of your future bills if you haven't already.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 24, 2012

I don't use my phone at work.
    I do use my phone (and laptop) away from work to check email.
    Would never consider writing it off.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 24, 2012

Did you know that if you use your cell for school purposes - even checking your email that it becomes a "work" phone. That phone number can now be used against you. A parent, ex husband, colleague, etc. can request access to your texts, messages, etc. It no longer becomes your personal property and can be used in a court case. Something to think about.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 24, 2012

Do you have a source and/or any info on what state that applies in, SCTeach? I'm very curious about it.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 24, 2012

I use my iPhone to check my email when I'm away from school because it's really like my computer now. I don't write it off though because even if I itemize, I still do better with the standard deduction.

10. kme93

kme93 Companion

Feb 24, 2012

I agree.

I use my phone email all the time. I work at a 1:1 school, so I get emails from kids and parents all the time day and night. I don't always reply, but I at least see that so-and-so emailed me. The kids really appreciate that I do, because I can sometimes send a few word reply that may save their night. For instance I got this email last night:
    "I've been working on my test corrections for a few hours and still don't get it. I have other homework I need to finish too. I have your class 3rd period, but I meet with my tutor during 6th period today. Can I work on it with him and turn it in after school? Then I can finish my other homework too."
    Reply: "Sounds fine".
    It saved his night and took me two seconds. However, I think if work were stressful for me, I might not check it at home.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2012

My phone doesn't have internet capability, so it's a non-issue.

That said, I'm in front of a computer every period (including study halls-- it's how we check attendance.) Plus I log in each morning before the kids get up and each afternoon after school then again at night. I'm on the computer either way, either here or doing freelance.

I get a LOT of emails from National Honor Society; each takes a minute or so to respond to. It's simply part of the job, no big deal.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 24, 2012

I agree & bison, I don't have a source on that, but to me, it's logical because we're using that method as a method of contact for work w/ parents, etc. Plus, like we've had a thread on the other topic in the past, I'll NEVER give any parent my personal cell #, landline #, or personal email. Once they have it, they hav it forever & God only knows how much they'll "bug".

13. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 24, 2012

I would never give out my personal number or anything else to parents either, I absolutely agree. They can reach school employees at school. I do need to have my phone on me for contact with the district, however.

14. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 24, 2012

I don't have internet access on my phone either, so that is a non-issue. I do get and send a lot of text messages to the students regarding weekend or summer activities or reminding them to get to school early for a trip. I have a list on my phone of just the kids' cell numbers and just use that. We have lots of field trips throughout the year, so all the kids have my cell number and I have theirs so we can find each other at a convention, etc. I rarely get a call late at night or anything like that. Service at my house is spotty at best, so most known not to even bother with the cell phone when I am at home.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 24, 2012

We were told this at a faculty meeting in Texas. Not sure how many states adhere to this.

16. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 24, 2012

I do use my work email on my phone, simply because it's easier. I check my phone on break throughout the day. It's especially useful if I am away from a computer, which sometimes happens during the day. I don't write it off, and even if I could, I wouldn't.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but parents do have my personal cell phone number. I find that it's just easier for them to communicate with me, and vice versa, rather than them calling the school and us both getting caught up in a game of phone tag. Sometimes it's easier for a parent to text me directly and I can normally address their issue/ concerns faster. It's the same when I have a question or a concern for the parent.

Sometimes it's just easier to go straight to the source.

17. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 24, 2012

O.T....
    I love your ravatar...Wednesday, right?
    (smile!)

18. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 24, 2012

Correct! It's cool that you noticed. :) The Thanksgiving play is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 24, 2012

I *think* I can get my email on my phone. No idea how to it or if there is an extra charge. I only use my phone for calls & texting.

I do wish I could get the principal's emails on my phone. I wouldn't have had to check my email this morning to learn that we had school. . .no snow day for us.

Parents get my cell number when they chaperone a field trip. Parents rarely use it.

20. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2012

I don't put my work email on my phone. I have my computer around all the time, so I don't see the need and I hate looking at the small screen on my phone.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 24, 2012

I agree!

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2012

I actually removed my personal emails from my phone. Drove me nuts every time it buzzed/rang with a new email.

I check my school email on the computer once every evening at home; constantly throughout the day at work.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 25, 2012

no work email on my phone either. I don't have my cell out during the school day and my focus is on the kids anyhow, not what their parents or coworkers might want. I will check my email at my desk periodically, depending on the day's activities. At least 3 times - morning, during planning, and before I leave for the day. I usually check it in the evening from home.

My cellphone is for ME, for my OFF time.

24. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 25, 2012

I have a Tracphone which does nothing but phone calls. I hardly ever remember to carry it with me anyway.

A few years ago the school asked us individually if we minded their giving out our home phone numbers with "office hours" in the evening. I said it was fine with me. I get about one call a year in the evening; that's it.

Mostly I keep in touch with parents via email. I like the automatic documentation of things, and I hate phone tag.

25. appleaday180

appleaday180 Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

I find that I use my cell phone for quite a few different things throughout the day, it makes my day much more convenient. And no, I do not write that off of my bill during tax season solely because at my school we have the resources to do everything I do on my phone on another piece of technology that the school provides!

26. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Feb 28, 2012

I do not use my cell phone for school business, but Verizon does offer a discount (10%, I think) for teachers.

27. Bear Knuckles

Bear Knuckles Rookie

Mar 1, 2012

I do have my work email set up on my phone. For me, I simply want to be able to respond as soon as possible to any email I receive. It is crucial to the way I work personally.