Work at a preschool for now?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lindsey923, May 14, 2010.

1. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

May 14, 2010

As we all know, it is basically impossible for a new elementary teacher in NJ to find a job in the current market. What I am wondering is.. is it worth it for me to suck it up for a year or two and get paid $9 an hour teaching at a preschool? Will this look good on my resume/help me find something when/if the situation does turn around in the next year or two? I am afraid I will just be wasting my time getting underpaid while I can get a job sitting at a desk (I have a few years experience as an office manager..) for 30k a year. I really do not want to give up on education, but I am not so sure I have a choice. :help:

3. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 14, 2010

Try a private school first, and then if all else fails, go for preschool or subbing!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 14, 2010

When I was job hunting a few years ago, I applied to be a 4K teacher at a bunch of preschools. I was offered all of the 4K jobs I applied for, because I was so qualified compared to other candidates. Personally, I would have taken a job at a preschool over an office job. I just made sure to apply at NAEYC certified centers because I figured they would be quality centers.

5. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 14, 2010

If you want to work with kids, then I'd say go for the preschool job. I taught Pre-K for several years (and made more than $9/hr. and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it!) I worked at high quality early childhood schools. I was head teacher. I had great students, amazing parents, and gained a lot of professional knowledge! I have since left for elementary school but feel very grateful for those years in preschool. I hardly doubt you will be "wasting your time." Early childhood education is IMPORTANT, even if your pay doesn't reflect that. If you believe this...go for it! If you a new teacher, teaching preschool will look much better than an office job, in my humble opinion.

Good luck!! :)

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 14, 2010

You can bring a lot to the PS classroom. If you can live on the low pay (welcome to the world of PS teachers), it can be fun, and educational.

7. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

May 14, 2010

I actually have a PS job as a head teacher, paying $9 an hour. This is about average around here. I think I will stick it out for a few months and see how it goes, see how the economy changes, and maybe look for some other PS that are hiring that may offer more money.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2010

It's only MAY-- why are you giving up already?

I say apply and apply and apply. Settle for less than what you want in the fall, not now.

9. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

May 15, 2010

I would say do subbing if you can because you'll get to know your way around schools in your district and make contacts along the way. I worked in a PS and, personally, I don't think it really helped me. Subbing has paid off for me and landed me a few interviews, even with the economy being as it is.
    I'm not saying PS isn't a good choice but I would try subbing if it's possible.

10. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

May 15, 2010

The public schools around here don't hire new teachers until 1 or 2 days before school starts, so don't give up yet!
    But if you plan on teaching in the early grades(K-2), then PS would be a good start. Make sure that it is a preschool, and not just daycare. Also, don't stay there very long, 2 years max. I made the mistake of staying 10 years, and had a hard time being taken seriously when I went to interview in elementary schools.