Work after work for a Montessori Teacher?

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by lymartinez, May 13, 2004.

1. lymartinez

lymartinez Guest

May 13, 2004

Dear Montessori Teachers,
    I am about to start Montessori Primary Teacher Training in the fall. I have been teaching art in Public Schools for several years as an independent contractor through different non-for-profit organizations. Lately, I see that with all the new board of ed changes (I'm in NYC right now so I don't know how the rest of the USA is like), teachers are working super long overtime hours striving to keep with what the school expects of them. Also, I've been working so much in so many workshops and after school programs lately that I don't have one second of breathing time for my own life or even a walk in the park... Yes, I love what I'm doing but this is too much. This morning I had a horrible thought: WHAT IF IT'S LIKE THIS???? What if becoming a Montessori teacher will take over my every waking moment? Can I do that? Don't get me wrong, I'll do everything I love for as long as it takes but, you know, it's good to disconnect once in a while. I'm an artist as well and being able to continue to progress in my artwork is very important too! And I need good healthy relaxed times in my week to be of any good... I really do. So: Can you give me, please, an estimate of how many prep hours per day you spend? I'm looking into Primary training but could any teachers with this AND any other certifications let me know too? And I'm wondering if probably the first year or couple of years it's harder because it's newer and so you spend more time... or maybe it's because of where you work and what the demands are there??? I don't know. Any anecdotes or perspectives will be immensely appreciated! All the best, Lilli

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 14, 2004

All teachers put in hours after school. I try not to, I even bring stuff home for the entire week i refuse to touch it!
    Me personally, I could be grading papers or surfing the web for a topic i am going to be teaching, or typing up newsletters etc. But I try and make a rule of NOT bringing work home. In montessori, I spent more time MAKING my own lessons and being fanatical about it because there is such a wonderful feeling you get from seeing the kids USING the very materials that you made!
    Some montessori schools dont let you make hand made stuff and will buy it all (rare but there are some out there). Otherwise Montessori materials need to be hand made or computer made. You may INVEST in your classroom and purchase them yourself as I have done. Now, in my traditional classroom, I use the purchased and HANDMADE lessons!
    Montessori is a philosophy, its how you are a teacher to children and how you respect the child and present materials that are attractive to them, its how you follow the child, having control of your classroom but having the ability to allow for organized chaos,it sets up your paradigm on what you EXPECT from your students. Often you will hear- oh, we dont teach that til third grade!

I love making new lessons so that I dont have to spend the money and buy it. your albums should be very well done in your program. take lots of photos and DRAW,illustrate every apparatus! You will need to use them your first 5 years! I have made EVERY lesson in the botany, zoology etc... each summer i make a big lesson that i re use and adore. On atoz in the printables by mommaruthie, you will see the house/rhyming material and I have made the entire neinhaus grammar boxes material most recently. It can be captivating and fanatical- i can go to a restaurant and see a sugar basket and say oh i want that for my practical life collection! On my desk this moment are different shape soap dish holders for transferring. I havent used practical life in my classroom now this year and because i had to mail to AUSTRALIA a homeschooling mom needed them, I happen to COLLECT them when i go to the dollar store and see a cool shape.

Oh my, you know, I think it is fanatical!!!!:eek:

4. lymartinez

lymartinez Guest

May 14, 2004

thanks mommaruthie

Dear mommaruthie,
    Thanks so much for your feedback! It certainly makes sense. I am really interested in finding a job I love that can allow me to be as fanatical as I want with it without "demanding" it from me. I will usually be super commited to things regarding the classroom but it's just daunting to see the hours some teachers need to put in without wanting to at all (board of ed guided public school teachers).
    If it's not too long to explain, can you tell me how a Private School fits in with what the board of ed in Florida wants from it's schools? Or do they only enforce their stuff on Public schools? Or if you are in a public school, how does that work? I remember someone telling me about a state in the US that has actually implemented Montessori Primary education in all its public schools. I wonder if they do it "purely" or along with all the prior requisites they had for public school children 6 and under...
    Oh, and... the program I will do (AMI Primary Teacher Training) can award me a Masters in Education if I join Loyola College at the same time as the center (it convalidates the credits and gives you grades on the work you do during the training) and if I do some extra credits there over the following summer. I already have a Master's Degree but in Fine Arts. I wonder if doing the MEd will really heighten my possibilities for good jobs. I know it can't hurt but it's just that I really need to consider this seeing how it more than doubles the price for the year of studying Montessori (I have to pay the training center as well as registration/per credit at Loyola for the whole year, even though I'll only be there for 1.5 months). And I already have an enormous amount of loans due to my MFA... So more loans are so, so daunting!
    Thanks again for your response! I was so excited to have someone answer and help me clear this question. Any other info you can give me about these other matters would be so great! Thank you!!!!
    All the best, Lillian

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 14, 2004

I got a Masters thru Barry University. I hold an elementary II credential thru AMS. It certifies me for ages 6-9 and 9-12.

I think its all the same program for getting certified. Some programs are more prestigious as I have heard from other montessori sisters that they had to make page by page of their albums where some universities order and supply them from R&D montessori. Having to create a dialogue and step by step procedure typing everything out is NOT what i was required to do. We had to embellish the purchased albums with illustrations, notations, and photos. It definitely was NOT the same amount of work as other programs. We had montessori trainers come from maryland and other places to south florida to teach us our course work, along with Dr Ijya Tullous and Sister leonard Esnard. I also had a HUGE work load over summer sessions, with projects due each day, and studying, making albums etc.. It was only AFTER the last summer (two summers and one year of courses) that i met my husband and got engaged. Otherwise I was really focused on my career. I am still influenced by people and will be a perpetual student. I am however, a very creative person and can turn a paperclip ito a lesson. I love new ideas. In fact some of the activities I do NOW, are ones I DIDNT do when I first started. I did my practicum on practical life economics. You had to identify something in your curriculum that was negligent. Create a tool and implement and document the use in your classroom. I have not done econonmics in three years!! its just interesting how I am now coming back to it again.

6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Jun 8, 2004

It is hard for me to turn off school sometimes. But I just finished my first year and expect next year will be better. I made so much stuff for my units and now just can add things as I see something I like. Nt kids are grown so I do have time to do all this if I choose.

7. aminem

aminem Rookie

May 15, 2005

I would like any ideas that anyone has to offer on teaching toddlers in montessori school.