Words Their Way

Discussion in 'General Education' started by becky, Jul 28, 2009.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

I'd like to give this a try this year. Is there are fast way to get started? Fast is not the word I mean, either. I just can't concentrate through the whole book. I hope that makes sense..

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I started WtW this year and that's essentially what i did too. I did the spelling assessment (I found this very helpful) and then used that to group the students. I gave each group a different sort (I had to buy two of the sorting books). While I met with small groups, I had the rest of the class doing various "word study" activities

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

The book I have has more than one assessment- elementary, intermediate, and I forget the third one. As I read it, J could easily pass that first one, and most of the second one.

Now, once that is done, is it that you go back to the chapter that matches where they scored and get activities there?

How many weeks does this last?

6. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Yes, you figure out what spelling stage they are in. Then you find which weaknesses they have in that stage.. I use that to figure out which sort to start with and what to work on. If you haven't already, I would read the section about scoring the assessments (that was a little confusing for me at first). You can definitely read the section that matches their spelling stage, but I found all the activities mentioned to be a little too overwhelming for me at first. My goal for this year, is to get into that a little bit more. For your first attempt at WtW, I would figure out the spelling stage and then do sorts (and the basic activities) that correspond with it. Worry about the other stuff once you're more comfortable

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

It does seem like a lot, and I don't need any help being confused!

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

The spelling assessment is a PAIN the first time you give it, but it's so useful. I gave the assessment to my classes 3x last year.

9. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Jul 28, 2009

My school is switching to this this year for 1st-5th. I don't teach those grades, but I'm interested, what kind of homework you assign with this program?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

I give them a spelling choice board of different activities (abc order, write sentences with the words, rainbow words, 3 X each, etc) and they must do a sort each night (I teach them several different ways to sort). They put the word strips in zip baggies which travel back and forth between school and home each day...we sort in school and they do for homework as well so they are getting lots of hands-on with their words plus I tailor my word work on white boards/Making Words with tiles to the different sorts during the week.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

:blush:

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

I just finished reading the main book, well most of it. It was recommended to me that I read it for moving to 1st grade. I'm looking forward to trying it out this year...I'm not sure when I'm fitting it in my schedule, but I will somewhere! :)

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

I love WTW because not only is it very, very beneficial for targeting spelling and phonics skills that are weak, it can be differentiated and the groups are always changing, very dynamic and flexible. I love how proud the students are of themselves when they take the assessment again and are ready to move on to a different group. They know they have accomplished something and it's great!
    The one thing about WTW is how it recommends the different word study activities which the students would do daily in class, in small groups. I had to tweek my schedule and my management of the grouping a couple times but I think I got it down in a way that the students know the word study activity they are doing each day and they know the routine. My kids actually liked word study time and complained it went by too fast.
    Some activities the students can do during word study time is:
    *Write, Say, Cover, Spell, Check
    *Word hunts in "just right" books
    *Writing Sorts
    *Partner sorts
    *Speed sorts