Words Their Way

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Rachel0624, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has used Words their Way before, I just started using it this year. If so how did you like it?

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

I've used some of the activities as supplements to my curriculum. I haven't used it all alone. I like a lot of the activities. I'm actually going to do a spelling inventory tomorrow with some of my students to see where they are at with phonics.

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 30, 2007

I absolutely love it! I give the spelling assessment at the beginning of the year. It is really nice how it lays it out what alphabetic stage they are writing in. Some students who I think are getting a concept actually are struggling or vice versa. I use differentiated centers. I group my students based on what stage they are. I mostly use the picture sorts, and other materials from other resources for centers. I really like the activities but they take time to make or explain. I try to make things as easy as possible. I do randomly use some of the activities with the small groups.

I hope that you enjoy it! I had to use it for 5 classes in college and never sold it back! :haha:

5. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

Thanks for the input! I gave the assessment and the kids have been sorting in their groups for 3 weeks. Where do find some of the other resources for games and activities? I have used the picture sorts and the kids love going on word hunts but some of the activities in the book take too long to prepare!

6. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 1, 2007

I have books to go with each area. Books with blends through a scholastic series and also reading a-z phonics books. I also bought workbooks from a teaching store that the students make fun books with their area. I also use just plain worksheets and file folder games that I bought. They are the kind that are already colored and you just have to laminate and cut. I believe they are the Phonics set through Evan Moor???? I threw away the outside bind.
    An easy one I use is go fish with the letters or blends etc. Another I use are the games on Carl's corner. Mostly the games with ou, ow etc. You can also have the kids play concentration in partners once they have mastered many intitial consonants etc.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2007

firstgradeteach, is this a purple book with activities in the back that you could make folder games out of? I know that I had it college, some of the assignments was to make some activities under the different stages. I have it around here somewhere!! I wouldn't sell that one either!

8. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 1, 2007

Yes it is! I had the same assignments...I never made good examples because I just wanted to turn in my assignments. I don't t hink I even saved them. I never realized how good of a tool it really was! Imagine that... actually having a REASON for assignments! LOL.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2007

Me too! And now I want to kick myself!! Oh to have the insight...

10. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Oct 1, 2007

It does take awhile to make the activities, but once they are done, you will have them for a few years anyway. Maybe you could get a volunteer to put some together for you.