Words Their Way

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, Aug 29, 2013.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 29, 2013

Does anyone do Words Their Way? I tried it when I taught grade 6 and loved it. However I haven't been able to find my groove with it in grade 1. I thought I'd give it another go this year because it's a great program.

My struggle was keeping the kids engaged beyond word sorts. Once they've completed their word sort, what do they do? How do you know they have figured out the 'rule'? Also, when do you meet with groups?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

I've done WTW in both grades 2 and 3. On Mondays, I introduce the sorts to each group (I usually have 4 groups based on WTW preassessment). Kids copy sorts by category in their notebooks. On Tuesday through Thursday, they sort in their groups (a different sort each day). They have a choice board for spelling HW each night M-Th. Spelling test on Friday.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 29, 2013

I like your routine! So you don't have the students do blind sorts on the first day? I've heard of others who initially have the kids sort without guidance and then explain their sorting. This seems like practicing incorrectly, though.

What kinds of sorts do your students do if they do a different sort each day? I should look at the WTW book - but I left mine at school.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

M- I explain sort to each group, they sort into categories and copy in notebooks...I check and they add two 'personal' words
    T- ABC order in categories
    W- speed sort
    Th-blind sort

They sort each night for HW as well as a written practice choice.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 29, 2013

Thanks! That is really helpful!

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2013

MissScrimmage, I was going to suggest to not do a blind sort on the first day. When I did WTW solely in my class, I met with each group and introduced the sort. I worked the "rule" in the discussion slowly after we have sorted the pattern together. Sometimes, most of the time I had them tell me the rule unless it was very difficult. I noticed you asked what should the kids do after they sort. I had that same concern some years ago and decided to not rely solely on sorting as a method to get the students to learn the patterns. I found that some students could "sort" but when it came time to "spell" the words, they didn't really know the spelling and the learning didn't stick! So I incorporated other activities to go along with the sort. So after they sort, they chose an activity from a spelling menu and practiced with a partner. For homework, they used a separate activity menu that included fun things they can do at home with more time.

Hope this helps!