Words Their Way question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 21, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 21, 2012

Here is what I came up with, after doing my spelling inventory:

-Middle Alphabetic: 4 kids
    -Late Alphabetic: 2 kids
    -Early Within Words: 11 kids
    -Middle Within Words: 3 kids

Here are my thoughts:
    -Do I just put the 2 late alphabetic and 3 middle within words kids into the early within words group? The 4 kids in the middle alphabetic group see the SPED teacher, so she is going to work with them on their sort in the SPED room.
    -I would move the 2 late alphabetic kiddos back a group, but they can't go into the SPED room, plus they were really close to being in the early within words group anyway.
    -I figured it wouldn't hurt the middle within words kids to move back a bit to early within words. This would strengthen those skills, and they are only a tiny bit above that group in the first place.

The lower amount of groups I have, the better! I have never had a class test this closely together, so having one big group actually seems pretty practical in this case. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 21, 2012

I agree with your thoughts. I would do the same thing with those groups.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2012

11 is a big group...I'd break up the early within words group.

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 21, 2012

Three groups isn't that bad is it? I prefer to work at their level as much as possible so I have had as many 6 groups. It isn't that hard to juggle once you figure out a system.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

You may want to start with them all in one group. But you will notice as the year goes on that some students are going to move faster than others. This will then create the need for groups. Is it better to start in groups now or to begin groups when the need really arises. Either way, you will most likely end up working with small groups during the year.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

I should have mentioned that I am going to try combining spelling and guided reading groups this year. So, if they are all one big group, I will technically be seeing them in groups of 4-6. I would love to have a separate spelling group time, but our admin. is adding so much to our day that I no longer have time for spelling. Honestly, I barely have time for reading groups. The 5 "outliers" and early within words kids are all mixed up in terms of reading groups. So, I would be mixing spelling groups within my guided reading groups, which could make things more complicated. If they were all doing the same sort, it would make my small-group spelling/guided reading groups more manageable. And, like I said, the 5 kids who are just below and just above of the early within words could really go either way.

With that being said, would you combine them? Like mopar mentioned, I can always adjust them when some kids start excelling, and others need extra support.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

Your bottom and top groups have very different readiness levels. If you are going to combine everyone onto one large group, consider differentiating for at least those two groups.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

I would start the beginning of the year in the way that is easiest for you. I hate to change routines mid year so I would start with groups. But if you can change routines mid year and find it easier to start with everyone on the same page, then give it a try. You may find that you are better able to place students in groups after working with them for a few weeks.