Words Their Way-Introducing words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 28, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 28, 2011

I currently have 2 spelling groups. One has only 5 kids (the very lowest kiddos), and the other group has 17 (at grade level). I want to pull 5 kids from the group of 17 to form an in-between group.

Right now I have 30 minutes on Monday and 30 minutes on Friday to do spelling. Throughout the week, the kids practice their sorts at home and at school during word work time. On Monday I take each group and spend about 15 minutes introducing the words. The group that I am not seeing can choose between Read to Self and Work on Writing. On Friday I test the kids on their words, and do the same (the opposite group does read to self or work on writing).

I want to work this 3rd group in, but I am worried that I will not have enough time. Giving the test does not take very long, but introducing the words does take a while. What do you do to introduce the words? We read through all of the words together, write them in the proper categories on chart paper, and then cut them out and sort them. I'm thinking I can maybe skip doing it together on chart paper? Maybe we can just read through the list, cut, and sort?

Suggestions? TIA!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2011

Will you be doing the same patterns with each group? My students have individualized lists, and we do our sort all together. We do the categories on the board or chart paper, and I take examples from all levels to put on there. Then the students sort their own list words. (I also do the pre-tests whole group--the kids just know to listen for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd word, depending on their group.)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2011

I manage to get to each of my 5 groups on Monday morning during a 25-30 minute chunk. Tuesday thru Thursday, my kids sort in class and I circulate thru the groups. On Friday, I give 5 tests concurrently.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2011

We do buddy study. Once it's implemented, it doesn't take extra time. It is simply something they do before they go to their station. And on Fridays, they test their buddy. I am not needed.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 29, 2011

I have heard of this before. Can you tell me more about it?