Words per week...

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by CDOR79, Sep 7, 2019.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Sep 7, 2019

New 7th and 8th grade ELA teacher here with a quick question...

We have a specific book for vocabulary (Vocabulary Workshop). Each unit has 20 words and it focuses on the definitions, parts of speech, and synonyms/antonyms of each word. I’m thinking to SPLIT the units in half and cover 10 words per week with activities/homework FOR those words and a test on Friday. OR I just do all 20 and spread it out over 2 weeks.

I’m just trying to figure out what’s age appropriate here as I’m used to the younger grades! Thanks!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 7, 2019

You don't think that late MS students can learn 20 vocabulary words a week? I wouldn't begin the year by lowering the bar, personally, but by leaving the bar at 20 until you get a real feel for what these students can do. You are teaching students who are going to be in HS shortly, and the bar will be much higher, and the work much harder in just a short period of time. Encourage, use the vocab words in guided writing, note the words in reading, etc., so that they are using and learning at the same time - that facilitates true learning. Of course, just my opinion, and yes, I am also a MS ELA teacher, and have been in the classroom.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 7, 2019

I do one random vocabulary word a day. It’s a prefix, suffix, root word, or vocabulary word that I’ve chosen. I only choose one because it’s part of their daily bell work. They have six grammar questions, one vocabulary word, and one writing prompt. Takes about 10 minutes for all of it. I give them a quiz over the words at the end of the month.

Of course, that’s not all of the vocabulary they get. We also work with vocabulary during the lessons, but it’s not in the form of a list that they study. It’s imbedded in the other activities.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 10, 2019

I would also keep the 20 vocabulary words / week.
    I would do specific activities with them every day and assign vocabulary home work.
    These activities could include (but are not limited to:
    - go over definition, pronounce, etc (in class)
    - fill in the blanks in sentences with the words
    - match synonyms
    - find antonyms
    - write their own sentences

the last 4 can be done in class and for homework. Test Friday.
    I used to do 10 words in a school that did not give homework, so I was limited to what we could do in class and the students learned them. Giving homework, you should be able to give 20 words.

I would also keep up the work with previous vocabulary words because it's important to retain these words for a lifetime, not just for a week or so (that's what happens if we never work with these words again)

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 10, 2019

How large of a part of your curriculum is vocabulary supposed to be? When I taught general phase freshmen, and used the Vocabulary Workshop book, I did 20 words over 2 weeks. Reading was so much more important! So, I taught them 10 words a week, and we did 5-10 minutes of work on the words each day. I also: gave them bonus points if they found a vocabulary word in whatever book they were reading, worked the vocabulary words into DOL, etc. But we only had 55 minutes a day for all of reading.writing/etc. We no longer use those books and use vocabulary incorporated with our reading.

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:12 AM

Thanks so much for the replies and ideas! Its all been helpful! I decided to stick with one unit every 2 weeks. I’ll stretch out the work over that time span and I think it’ll be a good pace.

Thanks again!