Wordless Picture Books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2012

Does anyone use these ever?

For SLPs, they're excellent because the child has to communicate what's happening using good phonology, syntax, morphology, pragmatics, common sense, etc. Also, various kids can be assigned a different character in the book & talk to each othe according to what's happening, so it's like reader's theatre. I know general ed teachers can have the child do the above or write a story out. I've Googled a list of these kinds of books because I want to start a collection. This weekend, I bought the book Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie DePaola, which is the only thing I could find at the time.

Are there any picture books you really recommend over others & what activities/lessons do you do w/ them?

I'm going to eventually get: The Box, One Frog Too Many, & Tuesday, which is good for older kids.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2012

"Chalk" is awesome!!! LOVE IT!!

The Caldecott winner this year was a wordless picture book too- can't remember the title right now.

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jan 29, 2012

I've used a few by David Weisner, but Tuesday is my favorite. I used it with 4th and 5th grade as a "read-aloud," except the students would have their notebooks out and write a sentence or two for each page (I showed it to them once before they wrote, so they knew where the story was going). I would use it in either by voice or word choice units, so students could focus on those traits, rather than the ideas part.

5. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jan 29, 2012

HappyLoo!! (google it)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

Zoom

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2012

Good dog, Carl...there are several in the series.

8. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jan 29, 2012

A LOT of David Wiesner books! Tuesday is my favorite! He has a bunch of caldecott books with no words and VERY vivid pictures. He's fantastic. Flotsam is my second favorite. I believe Sector 7 is also wordless. Definitely check his out.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 30, 2012

Thanks guys!