Word Work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by newteachfl, Jun 25, 2007.

1. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jun 25, 2007

I teacher that I've observed did this really neat activity with the kids that they loved. It was a form of word work but I can't remember what it was called. She would list about 7 letters and separate them into consonants and vowels. Then she would read clues. She'd give a sentence and see if the kids could tell which word in the sentence used only the letters she had put up on the board. They started off as 3 letter words and eventually you had to try and guess the "secret" 7 letter word. Has anyone heard of this? What's it called? And do you know what book has the different puzzles in them? I'd really like to do this in my class next year. Thanks :)

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 25, 2007

This sounds like an activity that I read about in Making Words. But it's been a few years since I read that book so I could be wrong.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 25, 2007

5. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

This activity is from Patricia Cunningham's book Making Words. When I taught 2nd grade, I did these activities whole class, and then did Patricia Cunningham's Making Big Words in small groups with my fluent readers.

I made a class alphabet set out of 1" x 1" tiles (from Home Depot) and wrote the consonants in black ink and the vowels in red ink. Each book contains numerous lessons, and my students really enjoyed the challenge of trying to figure out the final word.

6. divey

divey Companion

Jun 26, 2007

How many of each letter did you make for a complete set? Did you make one set/child? How expensive are the 1X1 tiles?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2007

8. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Initially, I made a complete alphabet set for each child. I kept the individual letters in ziplock bags, and then my helpers would pass out which ever letters were necessary for the lesson.

As I moved through the books, I needed to make more of certain letters because of repeating letters within the words.

I can't recall how much the tiles were. They were sold in 12" by 12" sheets.

HTH!

9. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 26, 2007

10. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 26, 2007

Wouldn't it be just as easy to buy magnetic letters?
    Is there a specific reason for why you need tiles?

11. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 26, 2007

I bought magnetic letters for small group and center activities & they're great! However, the paper tiles are also wonderful to use when you want the whole class to have a set of letters to manipulate at their desk & they are practically free!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

The tagboard tiles are so much easier to store than magnetic.(Take up less room) I have magnetic letters for a spelling center in my room but use the tagboard ones for Making Words. I don't like the combination of upper and lower case in magnetic letters for Making words- you'll end up with upper case in the middles of words... The tagboard set I mentioned in my prior post have capital on one side and lower case on the other side