Word walls

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Next year my school is focusing on vocabulary building schools. We are going to be required to have word walls. I was wondering if someone could walk me through how they use one, how they set it up, how they incorporate it, and if anyone has any pictures (that would rock!!) TIA!!

3. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Are you going to use sight words or vocabulary words?

Well, I like to use both. We call our words "Popcorn Words." All the words are on pieces of popcorn. I use yellow paper for sight words and any other color that I can find for the vocabulary words.

I have the wall up so the students can take the piece down and use them at their seats, if the need too.

If you PM me, I can send you some things!!

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

It will be vocabulary words. We've actually already sat down as a grade level and divided the terms out. There will be 5 WOW (words of the week) each week.

5. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

I have a good percentage of ELL students in my class so I try to incorporate pictures to emphasize character words and homophones. Sometimes the students will make these from cut out magazines on index cards and we star the words we aim to incorporate in our reading journals that week.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 11, 2009

Sorry I don't have a photo, but I can tell you how I used my word wall. My wall was actually on a magnetic chalkboard. The words were from the Dolce list through our reading series. Each week a new group of words were introduced. As they were they were highlighted on a piece of posterboard. Then the would move onto the chalkboard in alphabetical order after that week. I also incorporated thematic vocabulary words e.g, seasons, holidays, animals, etc. I also had ELL students. I would put a picture with each relevant word. Granted "the" "went" etc. didn't have pictures, but I did for the words that it worked for. Since the words could easily be removed, I could pull them off for literacy center activities.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 11, 2009

I also used the Dolch list for our Word Wall. Every Monday I would introduce the new words - Check out Month by Month Phonics for _______ Grade and they give lots of good ideas for WW.

On Mon. the kids would write the words down after we had dissected them. They would study at home each night. My goal was for them to know the word by sight by Friday. I had a second set of the WW words at our circle time and we went through them all just about every day. I also used this second set as a center sometimes. They got to be "teacher" and quiz each other on the words.

Each Fri. they had an oral quiz and earned a sticker if they knew the words by sight. Sometimes you have to modify if you have any learning disabilities, and I would always give kids another chance on the following Mon. if they didn't know the words. Had a lot of parent support and for many years now have had about 99% of the kids learn the words. I always give the quiz at the circle, and pair up kids to take the quiz together so nobody is on the spot. 5 words, we go through them 2x and they take turns saying the words.

My WW takes up a huge bulletin board space. I like the idea of them being able to take a word to their desks if they need to for writing, but haven't been able to make that work. Instead, there is a writing table under the word wall where they can go with their writing to copy a word. This year the kids took it upon themselves to copy the WW words into spiral notebooks in ABC order! That is a good way for them to have the words at their desks for writing.

About 3 times a year, I quiz them on all the WW words. Again, it is an oral quiz. I have had a few kids who don't do well taking the quiz with the group, but do great if it is just me listening, so I let them take the quiz privately.

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 11, 2009

I like the idea of the little "quiz" on the sight words. Do you suggest any ways for the parents to study the words with the students? Do you ever make the quizzes written (to emphasize writing the word correctly)? Thanks for the great ideas!

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 11, 2009

I have always suggested that parents make flash cards for the kids to use at home. We play Around the World with the second set of WW words, and if kids are practicing with flashcards at home, they get really quick!

Next year I am going to be stronger in my suggestion. The kids need the words on flashcards at home! By the end of the year we are working with about 150 WW words and they need to be reviewing them at home as well as at school.

I always do the quiz as an oral quiz because my goal is for them to be able to instantly read the word. But, once a word is on the word wall, I expect them to spell it correctly. If they ask me how to spell a WW word, I say "Oh, it's right there on the word wall, under "T" on the pink card."

I got these ideas mostly from the book I mentioned. I highly recommend it. I literally have had 99% accuracy over the years with this method. I get sick of introducing the words each Monday but keep plugging away. The Month by Month Phonics will give you lots of ideas. For instance, we practice being word detectives: Can we find a word we know inside the word? Can we think of a word that rhymes with the word? We talk a lot about word families. Constantly review vowel/consonant patterns in words, keep lists of blends we have learned on chart paper and post examples of words with those blends, esp. kids' names! They get pretty excited! When I read to them, they will yell out "That's a sight word!" "That word has the "th" sound!" "I see a hidden word!"

Plus we do cheer the words each Monday (it's in the book) so we are pretty rowdy and loud on Mondays!But it has worked well.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

I use strips of velcro and put the vocab words on cut-outs (last year we had a kind of Hollywood theme-so it was cameras). I also use a picture with the word. After introducing the word the students can remove it from the word wall and take it to their seats to use in their writing.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2009

Mine is similar to JW...magnetic chalkboard.

We use Sitton spelling so those words are on yellow index cards cut to shape the letters. Basically the dolce sight words.

Blue index cards are for names of school related nouns such classmates, classes, and teachers

Green index cards are for vocabulary words used in classes...mainly science and social studies

Pink index cards are for number words, months, days of the week, family names (mother, cousin).

I also have the color words on their specific color.

Each day we add and re-alphabetize. By the end of the year, it is pretty loaded with words.

12. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 13, 2009

word walls are great... I used them all the time with my first graders last year and my second graders this year. My ww words were my spelling words. We'd do activities with them everyday. Monday it was cutting them out (I'd run them off for each kid every week, and have them cut the words and keep them in their baggies.) After we cut them out, we'd ID the words (find the correct word, hold it up, spell it out loud and trace the words with fingers.)

Tuesdays we'd do "kinesthetic learning." We'd pull out and spell words, and the kids would give suggestions on how else we could "write" them (like trace them with your elbows, make your body into the letters like cheerleaders, etc.)

Wednesdays we'd do "personified" words. They'd pick a spelling word, write a sentence incorporating the word and draw a picture illustrating the sentence.

Thursdays we could alphabetize the letters, glue them down in order and practice writing them a few times.

Fridays would be the spelling test.

here's a couple of pictures of mine:
    [​IMG]

2nd grade ww without words up

[​IMG]

1st grader word wall in action... image slightly altered.