Word Walls

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by flowerpower31, Aug 17, 2007.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

This will be my first time teaching 1st grade, and I'm just wondering if you typically do word walls in 1st or is that really just something that you usually do in kindergarten?

3. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 18, 2007

The Word Wall is essential in my first grade classroom. As we learn new sight words, they go on the Word Wall and each day we practice them in a variety of fun ways such as lion voices, or slow motion voices or play a find-the-nystery-word-of-the-day. So, it helps to review what I've taught. Also, the Word Wall serves as an important spelling reference. I can't tell you how many times I've had a kid ask me to spell a word that is on it. lol I simply ask, "Have you checked the Word Wall?"

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 18, 2007

I agree. All of the first grade teachers in our building have a big word wall and we use them all the time.

5. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

thanks. That's what I thought. Definitely gonna have one in my room. =)

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

I use a word wall for vocab. purposes. When I taught 4th we'd go around every Friday and students would earn tickets for giving definitions. (They got to pick the word so every child could earn a ticket and we reviewed all words.) I plan on using a similar idea in my music classes this year. :)

7. shirl

shirl Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Patricia Cunninghams's book, Working with Words, is amazing. It has a number of activities that you can do with the word wall everyday of the week. She suggests that you teach five sight words a week.