Word Walls

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Maithal, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jul 29, 2006

Hi,
    I may be teaching prek special ed. (ages 3-5) and was wondering if word walls are age appropriate for this age. The way I plan to do this is by including a picture next to the word so that they use the word wall for word/picture association. What do you all think?

Thanks! :love:

3. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I just put my first word wall up in my class this week. It has pictures of dinosaurs and their names. My older kids really liked to look at them but the younger ones have ignored it so far. I have 3-5's in Headstart.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 29, 2006

I do three's and will be emplenting a word wall as well, so no it isn't too early! We will also be doing alot of Enviromental print on our word wall.

5. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

I'm doing a word wall this year (my first year). I have on it:

1) a theme section (first is "welcome to school" so I have that title and under it I have school related words and pictures. example Teacher, line, recess, friends, snack)

2) I have color words and color "blobs" next to the words

3) Shape words and the shape

4) Family words and pictures (Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, Grandma, Grandpa)

5) Number words, with the number and # of dots that go with each.

6) During open house I will take a picture of each child, I have cards with their names on them. They will go either on my word wall or nearby.

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 29, 2006

You have some great ideas for your word wall! I think I will have to try that. Last year I just had kids names with photos on the word wall, but I had portable walls with other words to take to the tables when we were writing. I have been trying to think about how to make better use of word walls, so your ideas sound great!

7. Alitig1

Alitig1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I worked in a SPED pre K class last year as the assistant and we didn't have any kind of word wall at all - we had flash card sized cards with the numbers on them, a poster of the colors with the color names on crayons, large cut outs of shapes, class rules, and the kids names. None of them was high enough to go any farther than that. At the end of the year we finally got most of the kids to recognize their names, and the shapes.

8. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Aug 2, 2006

We also do small-group activities with our word wall.

At the beginning of the year, I'll talk about the first letter of a word... and usually, I'll explain that this is the order of the letters of the alphabet, and each one makes a different sound. I try to find one of my bigger kids (I'm Head Start, so I've got 3-5's) to point out the letter we're working on. Then, I'll go through and talk about some different words (with pics, of course), talking about if it's short or long, how many 'parts' the word has, etc.
    At the beginning of the year parts of it are over their heads, but by the end of the year, they'll tell you how many syllables, the ending letter, etc... And sometimes I use my word wall cards as a transition from circle time "Find the letter that this word starts with... Where is the letter your name starts with?" etc.