Word Walls

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by TeaTeacher, Aug 14, 2010.

1. TeaTeacher

TeaTeacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010

Is a word wall necessary for grade 5? I have always seen it in primary but what do teachers do for junior? I know that some type of a word wall is a must but I was hoping for a different idea. Maybe something they keep at their desks or a certain part of the room. I just don't have a lot of wall space.

Any ideas?

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

I have never had a word wall, but I did find a file folder personal word wall that my students keep at their desk. It's basically 2 sheets with the letters and lines for adding their own words.

4. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I just have letters along the tops of my cabinets and we add the works under to correct letter throughout the year. It is simple and doesn't take up much space, but is displayed for the students.

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 15, 2010

We had a conference last year where the presenter really hated word walls because kids were beginning to use them as a crutch and weren't learning the words on their own. Then when it came test time, the students panicked because they couldn't see the words on the word wall.
    The presenter suggested using word walls for things like Math and Science, subjects where the words may not be seen in everyday life. I've started a word wall for Math and then connected it to a "dictionary" notebook where the students will write their OWN definition of what a math word means once we talk about a math word and learn it's meaning.
    The presenter also really stressed using the ACTUAL words for things. She used the example where we've come to rely on "hotdog" and "hamburger" styles instead of vertical and horizontal for the way we tell kids how to fold a piece of paper. She really stressed finding ways to connect the "real" words with the way they are folding. (I really struggle with this with division and the "divisor" and "dividend"... I always get them confused)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

I also use a word wall for subject area words (math, science, social studies) with my students. We post many of the words on our windows as I also don't have a lot of wall space.

7. ajquiett

ajquiett Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

I keep current unit word walls for Literacy, Math, and Social Studies in different areas in my room. When the unit is over and the words have all been learned I move the words to a joint word wall. Subject words are distinguishable by colors (math-blue, literacy-green, social studies-red).

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

I use a word wall. I think they are really important especially since words become more difficult to spell in 5th grade. I also have concept walls.

9. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

My co-worker did a powerful word and phrases wall last year that the kids really responded to. They found words and phrases in their literature groups and independent reading books, wrote a definition and posted it on the wall. It was not a "word wall" per se, but it was totally generated by the students and he said that they started using the examples in their writing.

I am going to start this in the next few weeks with my reading groups. I hope that students will show the same excitement that was found in my neighbor's room last year.

Good luck with what you choose.