Word Walls

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by amethysst, Jul 26, 2010.

1. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

Hello Ladies

Just wondering whether or not you have a "traditional" word wall in your classroom. Do you use words without pictures? How often do you introduce new words? Any tips or pointers?

Thanks ....looking forward to everyone's input!

:)

3. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

What age are you teaching? Pre k (4 to 5 year olds)?

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

I have information on using a name/word wall in pre-k here. It can be used in very developmentally appropriate ways with young children if done correctly. We introduce our names (w/pics) and place them under the correct letter and later environmental print and some vocabulary with pictures. We play fun games addressing phonological awareness skills using the wall daily. The word wall is a tool or vehicle that helps support teaching literacy strategies. The only words we put on the wall that don't have a picture are sight words and those come much later in the year.

NAEYC released their new DAP guidelines about 2 years ago and they support more literacy learning than ever before with young children. I firmly believe that young children can learn anything if it is presented in a fun, multi-sensory, hands-on way.

5. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I teach the youngest four year olds. My oldest will not turn five until March and the youngest will not be five until next August 2011. They are in a VPK class and will be moving up to Kindergarten next August.

My administration is wanting us to put a word wall up but the problem is finding the ideal location. I don't really have wall space and they are suggesting using a pocket chart. Which to me from all I have read is not really a word wall. We are in a classroom that was built for the intention of Sunday School. I could put a word wall up but it would not be at eye level and I do not have the space to put the entire alphabet line horizontally. It would have to be two rows and again not at eye level. The bulletin board I have now has our calendar, weather and days of the week! I have an easel for Big Books and our Morning Message. I have another portable peg board on wheels (36 inches X 54 inches) which houses our Attendance Board and an Alphabet Center Pocket Chart. I am running out of space for the items required in a VPK class!

Any suggetions?

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

Here is an idea that some teachers who are in your situation have used successfully. Find two shower curtain liners that are a plain, solid color and attach your letters at eye level to the curtain. Use the holes at the top of the shower curtain to attach it to the wall when you are using it. When you need to take it down for your shared space requirements then you can easily do so. You can also hold it back from the wall just like gathering curtains if you need to use the wall behind it. You can attach the alphabet, names, and other print to the shower curtain using double sided tape. The good thing about plain shower curtain liners is that you can usually find them cheap at dollar stores, they always have them at Big Lots.

hth!