Word Walls - What's your routine?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by LinzerCastle, Jun 14, 2008.

1. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

I have had a word wall in my classroom each year that I have taught. I know what words I want to use, but have struggled making the word wall a part of my everyday schedule with the kids. I feel like I just add the words and then they are quickly forgotten and that the kids aren't using the wall as a resource.

My question for you is what does your weekly plan (M-F) of using the word wall consist of? How/When do you introduce the words and how/when do you refer to them during the week?

I would like to get into a structured weekly routine, so the kids will know what to expect each day of the week. Any advice that you can offer or ideas that you can share would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

3. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Hmm, I've been wondering about using a word wall in a 4th grade Special Ed class, so I would appreciate any ideas too.

4. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I would like to know more about this as well. I only teach Reading & Spelling and would like to know how to incorporate it into my daily routine.

5. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I have a market in my classroom. Students get paid for getting their planners signed, doing classroom jobs, etc. I also pay them when they use or think of a Word Wall word. I typicall put reading vocab., math vocab., etc. on the Word Wall. But the kids will also suggest words like responsibility, culture, etc. that are words every intermediate student should know how to spell and know the definition of.

Hope this helps!

6. MsRafuse

MsRafuse Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Monday- I introduce the new words
    Tuesday- The kids do jumping jacks. They spell out the words
    by saying a letter every time they jump.
    Wednesday- We play mystery word with all the words on the word wall. I give a general clue such as "It has 5 letters" and the kids write down a word. Then I give another clue narrowing down a little more such as "It has an N in it." I do this for a total of 5 clues until it is narrowed down to one word. They always feel so smart that they get the right one!!
    Thursday- The kids write the new words in sentences.
    Friday- The kids work in pairs to write wacky paragraphs using the 5 new words.

Hope this helps!