Word Walls in Fourth Grade?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by linzteach, Jul 31, 2007.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am trying to decide whether or not to use a word wall in my fourth grade classroom. Do you use word walls with your fourth graders and if so where do you get your words from? What activities do you do involving your walls? Any advice/resources would be much appreciated....Thanks!

3. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Words walls in 4th? Absolutely!
    We have to have word walls in all grades at my school.
    The words come from the lessons we are teaching. The meanings and origins as well as synonyms and antonyms are taught. The use of the word in context is also taught.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 31, 2007

You can add words from all of your other subjects to your wall. I like the idea of using a themed word wall for science or social studies. You can make a new board when you start each unit and have the kids make the words and add them to the board. Have them work in groups to consult several sources and then make their own definition. For many words, especially science vocabulary, they can then add a drawing to further explain.

5. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Last year, I did a "In Other Words" wall. We discussed words commonly used when students write (happy, good, bad). Then we came up with synonyms that were more expressive and posted them with the original word. Students would often point out vocab words that would work and used some of the words in conversation. (Yeah!) I guess it was kind of a wall-sized thesaurus.

6. missdq

missdq Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

something i do with my word wall is that i color code the words according to parts of speech. for instance all my nouns are written on yellow paper, my adjectives are green etc. i find that it helpd students remember their parts of speech as well as helps them remember what the word means.

7. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Nice idea I like it. and I might just steal it too. :)

8. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I really like the color-coding idea. I will definitely be using that this year. Thanks!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I have 26 little whiteboards with a letter on each- and use them for science/social studies/math. I write on the boards, and my best friend suggested I keep a suggestion box in front so the words on there are always pertinent. They are on a bulletin board. I also have a vocabulary-building area on the cabinets over the sink for writing.

I may color-code for the subject the word is coming from, but I know I'll just stick to those three.

10. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

we're required to have a word wall...we are given a list of frye high frequency words to put up to start off the school year. I write these on white sentence strips. Then we also have to put up cross-curricular words as we come to them. We color code them so that no matter what 4th grade room the kids are in, the words are the same colors.
    Science-Green
    Social Studies-Red
    Language Arts-Purple
    Reading-Yellow
    Spelling/Vocabulary-Pink
    Math-Orange

We include any words the kids may need to use as a reference...Even words like multiply, divide, noun, pronoun....these are words they should use the word wall for to spell correctly in their writing assignments no matter what subject. Some of the subject words are student-generated and some are teacher generated.

11. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Aug 3, 2007

My district uses Sitton spelling and we have to have the Priority Words posted on a word wall. I also plan to add other words from social studies, or words the students are having trouble spelling in their writing.

12. yoda

yoda Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

white boards

What size are your whiteboards? From the picture on your website, they look like about 6" x 8". This would be great for a science word wall.

13. teal

teal Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

This year I am hoping to do a better job with my word wall. I got a bunch of those pocket charts from the dollar spot in Target. I thought I could use those to display content area vocab words using a different color chart for each subject area. (it isn't a true word wall but I am limited on space and I plan on having the kids keep a word wall in their folders.)
    I also like the idea of using library pockets for a "In other Words" bulletin board. You place a word like sad on the front and then on strips you write synonyms and place them in the pocket.

14. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I like the library pocket idea for "In Other Words." Maybe I'll use that instead.;)

15. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I'll be experimenting with Word Walls this year for the first time. I found a "middle school" word wall resource to get me started. If you go to the Carson Delosa website (being new to the forum, I can't post the web address) it's item number 2502. It has mostly misspelled or miscommunicated words. However, after reading some of the awesome ideas on this forum, I may be adjusting it a little. I like the use of subject-specific vocabulary on the Word Walls to reinforce the importance of spelling a term correctly.