Word Walls in 5th

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Teacher Chele, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 23, 2008

Do any of you use word walls with the older kids? Our P is big on them. What kinds of words do you use? I thought about vocab. from Science and SS. Thanks!!!!

3. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I student taught in 4th grade, and we used them for Science and Social Studies. I learned at a workshop that, especially in informational text, ILLUSTRATED word walls are great for that age group. The first time I did it I used vocab from a chapter and brought in pictures myself, the rest of the year I aissigned each group a vocab word or two and they had to go online and find a good picture for that word. It worked really well. Both the students and I referenced the wall alot! I'll be doing it in 3rd grade, and I think it would def work in 5th grade as well!

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I usually use Word Walls for vocabulary in math and social studies. I also play a game to use with the words: Students vs. Teacher. If I hear any student use one of the vocabulary words correctly then they get a point. If I use the word correctly, then I get a point. At the end of the unit of study whoever has the most points gets some sort of prize. For example, if the students won then they could get extra recess or computer lab time.

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

I use a ww, but mine is grouped according to subject. I teach all subs so each one has a section on the ww. All of the vocab words we are working with are placed there.

6. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

For those of you who us word walls with your vocabulary words from the various subjects, do you keep all of the words up there or only the ones you are currently focusing on?

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2008

I have a section for each subject in the room, so when we are finished working on them I move the vocab words from the ww to that subjects' section. They stay up all year, just not on the ww. The ww is only for vocab we are currently working on. I hope this makes sense.

8. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I used a word wall last year for the first time. I bought a junior-grade kit but found the words pretty common. I put them on one wall as a reference point for students. On the large back wall, I did my own and like the others, I used words from social studies and science but also from reading. When we did whole-class novel studies, I'd point out really good words and they would go up on the wall too. Each word would also be colour-coded to the subject (red was science, orange was SS and blue was reading - to match the colour of their notebooks). I'd also put the part of speech in small print under the word.

I would tend to leave the words up there for the term but I must confess that I wasn't as diligent at getting the words up there. I'd like to find a way to get the students more involved in putting words on the wall itself so that will be a goal this year.

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I love the color coding idea! What size paper/cards did you put yours on? I thought about index cards.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

I tried a WW last year, but I didn't know what to do. I just made word cards with words most commonly used in writing, but didn't know what to add or when or anything. I think this year I'm going to try again, but the WW takes up so much space! I put the words on sent. strips trimmed to the length of the words but still...I'm thinking of focusing on vocabulary from the reading text and spelling words, specifically words with common roots/prefixes/suffixes, Greek/Latin.

11. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Use your cursive alphabet strip for your WW as a header!!! That way you use 1 thing for 2 purposes.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 25, 2008

Just wanted to make a suggestion--

Someone asked what kind of paper to use. This year I plan to use Post-it's sticky sentence strips. Target sells them for like $3 for 80 sheets. They come in all white, or assorted (green, orange, pink, and yellow?)

I think they'll work well. Someone else said they stay up all year!

13. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I use letter punchouts that I attach magnetic tape to and then put them on my whiteboard. I write key vocabulary words underneath their designated letter and I color code them (red = math, green = science, blue = social studies, black = reading, orange = writing).

14. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I'm going to do a vocabulary word wall this year. I am using the words from the book A Word a Day My students have such a poor vocabulary! Hopefully learning some new words with help in their reading, writing, and testing. I'm going to do 3-5 words a week and spend about 10 minutes a day on them. Haven't completely worked out everything I'm going to do yet...

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 29, 2008

Last year I tried to do a ww with words I expected them to spell correctly all the time. Fifth graders really should know how and when to use/spell "a lot", "because", various forms of the there trio, and so on. It never really took off though so I just started docking them points. I think this year I'll have them keep a running list of these words in a notebook and use the ww for vocabulary, interesting verbs, specific nouns, awesome adjectives, etc.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 29, 2008

Question about these ww lists though. Would it be better to put the lists on chart paper and just hang the paper? Maybe have a huge spiral pad of colored paper and make that available? I don't want to use up all of my wall space for word walls.

17. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I teach 7th grade World History and do have a word wall. I have my students keep a section of thier notebook for vocabulary *the word; definition; and illustration of the word* & I post the words above the blackboard in my room. I made them so they are about the size of a index card and printed them out; colored around the edges; placed on black construction paper & laminated. That way I only had to make them one time! Every room in our Junior High has a word wall. Some are illustrated and some are not. I use it when I introduce new words from the new Chapter or section that we are covering.

18. heatherlynn444

heatherlynn444 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

our reading program is really intesnse so we do 9-10 vocab words form each reading unit and i put those on index cards, laminate them, and put them on a felt word wall so they will stick with one of those backing circles.

19. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I will be Science and Social Studies words from the Tennessee Academic Vocabulary List. We are required in TN to teach subject related words in the content areas. Just google it. I think it will be helpful.

20. Tall Teacher

Tall Teacher New Member

Aug 5, 2008

This is a question I have had myself and I am constantly trying to improve ways to use vocabulary in my classroom. I have a subject word wall in which words are introduced throughout the year. What I did is put the initials of the students who suggest the word for the word wall (this is done on my whiteboard). That incentive of recognition alone seems to help them look for vocabulary. Sometimes, though, it is difficult to keep up with the vocabulary with everything else we have to do.

As far as wall space goes, I write the words on the whiteboard and then change them over to white 3x5 index cards when we move onto a different area of the subject. Just an idea.

Does anyone else have any other ideas of how implement vocabulary?

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

Last year as part of spelling, I "instituted" a constant word study if you will. I had to make up the list every week (not a problem) and based each on vocabulary from various subjects, words in the actually vocabulary book that are appropriate for fifth grade spelling (some of the words are much too difficult IMO for 5th grade spelling), and common words with Greek or Latin roots. Every week we looked over the list. Read each word aloud, spelled it aloud, I pointed out spelling changes/prefixes/suffixes/roots trying to drill into their little brains that most words and meaning can be figured out if you know the parts. By the end of the year they were doing most (or at least) half of the discussing and figuing out on their own. I had kids trying to guess the spelling of words based on what they knew. Everyone kept a notebook with the weekly list on each page along with Greek/Latin roots in that weeks words as well as meanings. If nothing else it made spelling class more fun and interesting than just doing stupid worksheet twice a week.