Word Walls in 4th?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Noel, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Noel

Noel Companion

Jul 26, 2010

Question, do you use a word wall in your 4th grade classroom?

If so what kinds of words do you put on there?

Thanks!

3. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I haven't started teaching my 4th grade class yet, lol. However I am in the process of trying to figure out the same thing. The school I am at uses Houghton Mifflin for the reading/langauge arts curriculum. When I students taught in a first grade class there was a list of words for each unit/section of the curriculum and I used those words on the word wall. From what I know each houghton mifflin story has vocabulary and I plan on using that for my word wall.

However I am also trying to figure out if I want more then one words wall for different subjects: math, science, social studies, reading/lang. arts

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2010

I am going to have a parts of speech word wall this year. I've always had the words listed by alphabetical order but I think the parts of speech will be more useful in the students' writing.

5. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

Vocabulary Wall

I have this instead of a traditional word wall. I have feelings and emotion word cards, parts of speech, prefix/suffix, word webs, last year I have a book wall. I scanned the copy of the front of a read aloud I used for a lesson, glued it at the top of a white card and listed vocabulary that we discussed that really anchored the book in our memories.

6. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Word Walls/Cluster Walls

I believe in K-3, word walls are more of an ABC order sight word type of thing. In the upper grades, you don't need to do this. Instead, have a cluster wall, that centers around a particular unit of study. It doesn't need to be posted on index cards or sentence strips in neat little rows. For example, in studying the 3 regions of NC, I use an actual map of NC and post important words on and around the map. So the students have a visual of the state and not just the words.

7. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I am doing something similar. We have to do a word wall/grammar wall. I want to make it useful for them in their writing/reading.

8. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jul 27, 2010

My mentor is using a word wall for math and science terms. I really like the idea of listing them by units rather than alphabetically. Are there certain ways to make the wall more interactive with students? I was thinking of putting a picture along with the term, especially for geometry terms. As a visual learner, the pictures really help to reinforce the definition.

9. MsSci4

MsSci4 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

Thanks! I am going to do this next year! I use the sentence strip Post-Its for the words so the kids can take them off if they need to, but they rarely do.

For Science I include a definition. For some words like to, too, and two, I will do an illustration.

10. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

Word Walls

I had several word walls going at the same time. They were built as I introduced new words to them. One of them was our Academic Word of the Day. Another one was for Greek/Latin Roots which included prefixes and suffixes. I also had the most commonly misspelled words listed along with sets of words that my students develop to replace commonly used words such the typical 'said', 'cool', 'good', etc.

11. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 28, 2010

my district mandates (i hate that word!!) our word walls are vocabulary based. beginning of the year, all word walls are blank, as we work through novels and various stories, words are placed on the wall. Must be in ABC order.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2010

I have a math one up right now during prep, and I plan on including a reading/science one as well somewhere over there. You can see the math one hanging up here:

http://jasztalville.net/weblog/?p=524

13. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I have had an "In Other Words" wall. We had commonly used words like "good", "bad", "nice", "happy", etc. and put up more expressive synonyms under each word. Students often referred to the wall during writing.

14. corney

corney Companion

Aug 18, 2010

As a parent I like the word wall idea and will try to make one at home which will include the weeks vocabulary and spelling words, plus a the phonic vowel sound blends, those are my daughters weeknesses..