Word Wall

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Aug 29, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2008

Our classroom is a converted meeting room. It is temporary until we move into our new building late December. The walls don't really adhere well and we don't really have much of it. They need to be used for other things as well since we don't have bulletin boards and maintenance won't come drill holes into our walls because we are abandoning the building soon. So...

What are some different word wall approaches and set ups? Do any of you use something besides the wall?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2008

I have seen some teachers use science presentation boards for word walls. Also- some teachers at my school make smaller word walls in word and put them in plastic holders. They go on each table so the kids can refer to them

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2008

We have individual desks (slanted) so that won't work but I WOULD LOVE any ideas where I just type and replace a list because that's so much easier than typing, cutting, laminating, pasting, etc.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2008

I'm using a chalkboard and post-its. This would would work on any surface though-I like the idea of the science fair boards. I just write words down on mini post-its that they don't know how to spell, they use the post-it, and then they stick it on the wall. We have a HUGE collection of words that they actually use all the time. I didn't have to sit and brainstorm, and it's totally interactive. The kids are always looking for words, because they put them up there in the first place. It's brilliant, and so easy. I just always have a mini post-it pad within reach. You could have some science boards, with a few letters on each. They could fold up when you're not using them.

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

Jem, I LOVE the idea of using post-its for your word wall.

A few questions because I want to steal your idea.

When do you write the words for the students? Do you just do it individually while they're writing and then have them take the post it note up or do you stop the class and draw their attention to the new word?

Can the kids see the words when they're written so tiny of the post-it or do they just go up to the board to take a peek?

Just want to get all the details. Again, love the idea and I love post-its!

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I use sentence strips-one per letter. They are hanging on a clotheslilne from the ceiling.

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 30, 2008

I wish I could hang things from the ceiling - I remember schools in Michigan when I went to school and for teaching field experience that had things like that and it looked neat and it was more space to use! However, I am now in NC and it is against fire codes here to have anything hanging from ceilings or with 18 inches of the ceiling - it really cuts into using space in the room!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

I can't visualize the post it note word wall. I would think they would lose their stickiness quickly and the notes wouldn't lay flat enough. Tell me more.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

Do you have a picture of the clothes line ceiling sentence strip idea?

11. annafish

annafish Companion

Aug 30, 2008

post it makes a post it that is similiar to a sentence strip (a little shorter) that would work well. Also, you can easily make on card stock a "personal word wall" that students keep on their desks or in their folders.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 30, 2008

Here's a picture of it. It's getting really full now:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/2801337369/in/set-72157606973604984/

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I don't. :( Sorry.

I printed a large letter A-z to put on the top of each sent strip-just glued it on. My vowels are on colored sentence strips. Then I used a clothespin to attach them to a clothesline and strung it around the frame that hold the ceiling tiles. I attache each word to the corresponding strip. If I think about it Tuesday (my first day, though, so may forget) I will take a pic.

Frogger-I would be SO upset if we couldn't use the ceiling. I have posters hung on ribbon from the ceiling-one right on top of the next-lights, posters thumbtacked flat on the ceiling, etc.

14. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

I got this idea from somebody else on here and absolutely love it and it's mobile..They suggested buying a clothes rack (simple 10 dollar one at target), has wheels, etc...Anyway...you can buy a simple pocket chart from a teacher store, etc... and some shower curtain rings and attach the pocket chart to the clothes rack and instant word wall...Again...I got this idea from this site and soemone here and ABSOLUTELY love it, I have lots of wall space, but someone's back is always to it, so having the mobile "wall" helps a lot!!!

15. annafish

annafish Companion

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

Lol, we have less floor space than we do wall space. We are literally tripping all over each other. I wish she would have just used tables but that's not my call. Instead we have 10 desks and 3 tables in a tiny space. I tried to suggest that she only needed 5 desks because she only has 5 all morning and those classes are more geared toward direct instruction. In the afternoon she has centers and science/ss with 10 students. I think we could switch all the lessons to the tables during that time to free up floor space. Again, not my call. P not happy though. She wanted less direct instruction time. Shhh...cutnglue...shhh...

Normally we put the word wall on the wall of storage cabinet doors. They adhere easily to that surface. Every room on our floor has it there. Nope, she wants to put her posters there. So now I'm trying to figure out how to make stuff stick to the walls. The posters could hide the weird paint but individual words can't. Yet I can't adhere a huge slab of BB paper to it. I also can't drill holes in the wall to hang things up.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2008

The sticky word strips I like!