word wall

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by tiggerteacher, Aug 31, 2006.

1. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Aug 31, 2006

How do you do you word walls? I have 1st and 3rd garders and I am looking for a way to make a word wall for both. Any ideas. I share my room so I have 1/2 room.

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Aug 31, 2006

word walls

A word wall may contain sight words (words they should not have to sound out, but be able to know the meaning only upon sight.)A word wall may contain vocabulary words from any literature or reading series you begin. A word wall may contain new words based on a unit study in which science or social studies topics are introduced.
    Sight Words: for, the , said, were, where, etc. You can find lists of them in many places, especially Language texts.
    Literature connections: the book, let's say, Professor Noah's Spaceship, by Brian Wordsmith, contains a deceptively simple retelling of the Noah's Ark expedition, only the animals are sentient and can speak. They leave earth for a cleaner place with no pollution. The words for the word wall would be selected as you read each set of pages. For 3rd grade, I would choose words like "time guidance fins," spacesuits, air-lock, launched, destroyed forests, bewildered, lives are in peril, "spoiled by pollution," robots, journey, homesick, approached, wailed, extraordinary, calculations, "backwards through time," and specific animals such as pelican, gnu, llama, elephant, lion,cheetah, coati. Some methods call for putting up the word, predicting or deciding whether the student has any prior knowledge, then locating it in the text, and finally, findng the meaning from its useage in the text.
    When a Word Wall is used for non-fiction such as math terms, science vocabulary by unit, or social studies themes, the words can be displayed and the students locate them in the glossary and report the meaning to each other orally. Then, they can locate the words in the text and check for understanding. Journal writing of teh words in sentences assesses comprehension.
    You may want to use Word documents to create the words, cutting them out and laminating them, before you put them up. They're ready for the next year that way. With the grat choice of font styles and letter colors, words can come alive even whlie sitting on a word wall. have fun, maxine

4. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Aug 31, 2006

thanks so much for ur help!