Word Wall....?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Loves2TeachinSC, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Hey everybody. I am going to be teaching 3rd grade this coming school year and it's my first year! I know about word walls, but I am wondering what words go on them. I noticed in a teacher supply magazine that you can by word walls, but the words are different for each one. I didn't know if there is a particular word wall that I need to use, or is it up to the school district, or is it up to me? Any advice would work wonders!

3. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Good question, Vicky! I need to know this too :)

4. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Check with your district to see if they have a specific one they are using. My grade level purchased the Carson Dellosa word wall that was specific to our grade level and used that for a few years. Then last year, our district decided that they wanted everyone to use the same word wall words and gave us a list. They ended up buying the whole district a new brand. I can't remember which one it is though.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

I use theme words, words from reading, and high frequency words.

6. MissV

MissV Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Hi skippy!
    I'm teaching 3rd grade this year, and I taught title 1 for 3rd and 4th last year, so I have my word wall all set.
    I bought Carson Delosa's "Month by month phonics for 3rd grade" and absolutely LOVE IT!! It tells you the words to stick on the word wall and gives you phonics activities to do.

You can see the book at my website:
    http://valerie.ferrellweb.com/teachers/books/
    (Just click "show information")

I also redid my wordwall this year on photoshop so I could make the colors actually coordinate! Here is a picture of my finished word wall that I'm going to use this year:

http://valerie.ferrellweb.com/images/wordwall.gif

The words I used are frequently used but most often misspelled words.

(The words aren't in ABC order, they are in the order that they are introduced. They say not to move the words around, so that students can easily find the words.)

The book suggests cutting the ascenders and descenders for the words. It also suggets putting the words on rectangular colored backgrounds.

I used mainly rainbow colors, with lilac, turquoise and light blue melded in, but I have seen good word walls where all the words introduced that week are one specific but different color.

Hope I could help and good luck with your word wall!

7. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. It has helped. I thought about asking the principal, or assistant, but as a new teacher, I feel like all I am is bothering them by asking all these questions. Am I over-reacting thinking that I am bothersome?

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 28, 2006

Okay...so here is a dumb question...

When do you spend the time to teach your word wall? I tried to do this last year and ended up scraping it because of everything else I had to teach. Do you do it during reading since it would be considered phonics?

Thanks...Oh, what about putting up previous spelling words? Or should a word wall be words learned in the previous grades?

9. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

Andrea, That's not a dumb question.
    Last year was my first year with a Word Wall. I teach first grade and I spent all last year wondering the same thing. My school system required that everyone have a Word Wall done with THEIR cards. It WASTED an entire buletin board for the entire year. I had 26 11x14 sheets of paper filling a bulletin board and added 3 or 4 words a week, so that's about 120 words. I never managed to do a good job of discussing them on a regular basis. I added them each week because the Reading Coach would pop in to do a spot check. She told me that I was the only teacher in the builiding who kept her board current. I told her, "Thanks, but I'll be honest. It doesn't mean we talked about them."
    I did incorporate them into our spelling lists when we started doing actual spelling tests. But dang, how realistic is that? I was giving a test of words that were posted on the wall. You know how that goes. The kids who know how to spell the word, look to make sure they got it right and those who miss it, aren't smart enough to cheat.

I'm hoping the emphasis is going to shift this year so that I can use that board space for something relevant.

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 28, 2006

Thanks for the honesty! It helps me feel better.

I have these ugly orange cupboards (our entire school is browns and oranges, oh and some red) and I would like to cover them up! I wish I could paint them! Or maybe put contact paper over all of them!

11. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Contact paper would be nice...it can come off...not as permanent as paint! Also, thanks for asking that question...now I don't have to ask it! HAHA!

12. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jun 28, 2006

I would suggest using high frequency words from the previous grades to begin your word wall. I wouldn't put too many up to begin with. I have found the word wall serves a better purpose and the students actually use it more when you create it as a class. Adding words as you learn them. Whether it is math words, science/SS words, high frequency words, etc. If there are just a bunch of words on the wall they are not going to know most of them and/or how to use it. Also, I wouldn't spend too much money on buying a word wall. You can create them yourself and they are just great! Hope that helps!!

13. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

teach12 - thanks so much! everything I can get helps! being a new teacher is exciting and overwhelming all in one!

14. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Jun 28, 2006

I teach 4th grade. Since one of our vocabulary standards deals with prefixes/suffixes I purchase the kit for that purpose. We hit a new prefix or suffix each week or so and post the words appropriately. We also add words as we find them. Students keep a personal word wall folder at their seats they use during writing, etc.

We also have a content word wall for my history classes....basically I post a list of the prior unit's vocab, the current unit's, and the upcoming list too.