Word Wall

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Jun 23, 2015.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 23, 2015

I only have one bulletin board in my classroom. The previous teacher has the calendar and Daily Five Charts on them. She used and left the velcro word wall you can purchase at the teacher store. But I just don't like it. It is so disorganized with words it bothers me. I was thinking of using the bulletin board for my word wall? But then I would have to use the board for the calendar. Is your word wall large or small?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 23, 2015

A friend of mine uses a large pocket chart on a stand for her word wall. She teaches K.

4. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 23, 2015

Mine was literally on the wall. And took up a lot of space.
    [​IMG]

5. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jun 23, 2015

As a sub, I saw a TON of different word walls. One that was pretty cool and non intrusive was kept towards the bottom 18 inches of the wall.

This one is similar, but in the classroom I saw the words were just adhered to the wall, not hanging on rings.

[​IMG]

I know you'll get a lot of great ideas on here, but may I also recommend Pinterest, the destroyer of free time and cause of all failed DIYs? :D If you just search 'word wall' you'll be able to see many different arrangements

6. Mrs.Sprig

Mrs.Sprig New Member

Jun 23, 2015

Since space is limited for you there is always the option of putting the word wall on the back of the door. This will free up the bulletin board for something else that you want to use it for. You could also do a word floor instead and put clear tape over the words in a certain section of the classroom. Then you can create lesson plans or games around the words that are on the floor to make it more fun for them!

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 23, 2015

My word wall consists of laminated construction paper, each labeled with a letter of the alphabet. I hang them in order, with Velcro tabs, on cabinet doors and the wall. I cut card stock into 3x2 strips, which I write the sight words on. I use Velcro to attach the words to the correct laminated letter sheet.

I like using the Velcro on the words because my students can remove them and use them at their desks and then we can just stick them back on. My word wall actually takes up two and a half walls in my room. Every week I introduce six words to the class and we have this routine where I hand out the word cards to six students and they have to find the appropriate letter card to attach it to. The kids LOVE this!
    Sheilah

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 28, 2015

Thanks guys! I got a wonderful idea. I'm going to use foam board and decorated it and hang it with hot glue. So then I can have an additional bulletin board too!

9. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 28, 2015

Do any middle school teachers use word walls? If so, how?

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2015

When teaching first, I used (1) the space under my (large) white and SmartBoards, then changed to the student lockers. Now for third, I have smaller BB sections for different subjects, and the current words are there. Students have a "Word" book for spelling & vocabulary words that they use to hold all new words - not all words are kept by all students.