Word Wall

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LiterallyLisa, Jul 7, 2014.

1. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 7, 2014

Hi all..been planning and thinking about my room a little and where I want things to go. Last year I had an issue with my word wall(s) and lack of space to put them. I can't get in to my room of course, but I want to have a plan of action when I do.

I teach SS and LA for 6th grade and I tried having a word wall for both and it was pushed to have one in all subjects. It takes up a bunch of space though!

For LA: I had different terms as well all vocabulary words from our vocabulary program. It got so crowded and I ran out of room! They were separated into Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives, and Adverbs.

For SS: I put up people, places, and things and RAN OUT OF ROOM. This one took up my whole side white board....and I really wanted to use that board most of the time :p

What do you include on your WORD WALL--can I change some out?

Could I put them together (my ELA words are on white sentences strips and my SS terms are on neon cards) or would that be too confusing?

How small can I make the words before it is useless :p

**I have already decided since I am doing interactive notebooks that they will keep personal word walls in their notebooks and add as I add.

Thanks for any help!

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

Yes! Do this!
    I color code all of my words and have one word wall: yellow for nouns, green for verbs, white for other words, blue for Science, pink for Math.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

I don't know if this is an option or you, or something you would consider, but I got rid of my word wall last year. Students have personal word walls, and I found that they used these a lot more than the class word wall.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2014

I change my SS word wall with each unit so its much, much smaller than my ELA word wall. It worked for me because each unit is pretty separate from each other and the words didn't usually overlap much.

6. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 8, 2014

All of those seem like good workable ideas. Thanks!

I definitely will be having them keep their own in their notebooks. I may bring this up and see if this meets their expectations.

Honestly, I would like to get rid of mine if I could, and just display the ss/la terms that we are currently on.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 9, 2014

What if you had a word wall that you added to throughout each chapter/unit and had the kids add these words to personal word notebooks or dictionaries? You could have them keep one notebook and use the front half for SS and the back half for LA or vice versa. That way you could save space and change out words to keep things current, and they would have a permanent word list they could refer to throughout the year.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2014

Is it typical to still have word walls in 6th grade?
    I prefer personal lists as well.

9. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 9, 2014

Last year it was an unsaid requirement. We are having a big push for literacy across the school, so that was part of it, every subject needed a word wall. Important literacy lady (lol) came and toured our school and sat in on classes and one of the compliments was our word walls...so I am sure we will need to have them again this year.

Sounds like my best option is a personal one and changing out the class word wall for each unit (so I would still technically have a word wall up :)) I like the idea of keeping them together--promotes having them use their LA words in SS and vice versa

10. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

How do you guys attach the words to the wall? I saw one teacher that had clear plastic strips that she slipped the words behind. I wasn't sure where to get this plastic.
    I also saw a teacher that had a word wall of "no excuse" words that the kids automatically got one point deducted off of whatever if they got any of those wrong. There were words like "there, their, they're" and "your, you're." I wanted to do that too. Words everywhere !!!