Word Wall??

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by pmts02, Aug 9, 2002.

1. pmts02

pmts02 Guest

Aug 9, 2002

Forgive me but what is a word wall? I realize that you are supposed to put words on the wall to help the kids learn to recognize them. What words should be on the wall? I need help. I would like to have a word wall but I don't have much wall space because of bulletin and challk boards. So I will have to narrow the words down somehow. Any suggestions, or advice?? Should they be alphabetized?? HELP ME!!:confused:

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 9, 2002

Hi! I too am struggling with my word wall. I am first year teacher and the room that I did my student teaching in didn't have a word wall. However, from what I have heard from others you are going to put up the words the kids use most often. And YES they should be in alphabetical order that way they are easier to find. At the beginning of the year, just start with the students' names on the wall. Then, add as words come up. I guess that is how you are to do it. Good luck!

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 9, 2002

5. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 10, 2002

We've had posts about this before. My suggestions for good word wall words are to use the Dolch Sight words, number words, color words, you can add the spelling words if you do that. Also any words that come up in a teachable moment.

Nick