Word wall ???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Jul 30, 2011.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

What words do you include?
    * only sight/high frequency words
    * and student names
    * and maybe color, number, shape words
    * and words students frequently ask how to spell
    Do you include all words on your weekly spelling list?
    :dizzy:

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

The word wall in my classroom has student names and sight words. We put the names up during the first week while we play lots of name games. The sight words go up as they learn them. If we come across a word many students use in their writing, we will create a word card with a small picture and tape it to the word wall. Color words and shape words are on separate anchor charts. All the student names and sight word cards are magnetic, so the word wall is totally interactive. During center time the students can sort the words in many ways.

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

My students struggle with learning their sight words so I use my word wall for sight words only.

I have color words and shape words listed elsewhere.

I plan on making a separate wall with commonly used chunks.

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

I usually just put up the sight words for them to spell. I have a color wall somewhere else and numbers are on the numberline in the room. I will put longer words on the word wall if it seems like a lot of students have started using them in their writing. This past year I added colorful and beautiful because I was seeing it so much and was tired of seeing it spelled wrong. :p

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

I've always used the Word Wall for HF words and student names.

I have a separate Math Word Wall.

And...for Sci/SS we make anchor charts with the content words on them.

It's important to use the WW for games and activities and not just have it be there.

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks everyone!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2011

I use my Word walls (one per grade) to include the new science words students have used. If a child then uses a similar term I'll encourage them to try a word that we've studied instead-- helps to increase their usage of certain terms.

(Ex: "That thing that measures temperature"-- "The thermometer measures temperature")

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2011

I have very little room in my class for a word wall, so
    1) My reading focus board has the student names, my name, and classroom item names listed for the first two weeks only. Students will write each word in their individual "Word Book."
    2) Each week after that, the high-frequency, spelling, and Robust vocabulary words for the specific lesson we will be learning are posted on that board. Again, students will write the words in their word books.

Each student has his/her own Word Book, which is kept in their desks. As we come on words we don't know, new High-frequency words, etc., the words are written (with a definition or picture if needed) and placed upon the appropriate alphabetic page in their Word Books.

Does that make sense? I'm on pain meds (dental work), so I may be rambling :)

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2011

On my main word wall are high frequency words.
    I also have a math word wall and a science word wall.
    I also have a names chart from a word study lesson that we refer to all year.
    I also have a colors chart.
    Each child also has a "Words I'm Learning to Spell" sheet in their writing folder that they write words they have trouble with when writing which are then used for their personal words on their spelling (buddy study) lists.

11. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 2, 2011

pwhatly- is the word book something you make with a letter per page or do you purchase it?

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2011

I made it - Last year I purchased 1" white binders for all the kiddos. This year, I bought the 50cent plastic binders (floppy plastic) at Walmart instead. Each letter has a page, and they will have several blank looseleaf sheets behind each letter-page. This also gives me the freedom from hearing "Mrs. Whatley, how do you spell...." during rotations. All I have to say is - look it up in your book! There is website: http://www.lyonsdenresources.com/-e2-80-a2Word-Walls.html where a (former?) teacher has pages he calls word walls. Basically, they are themed word lists (i.e., family, color, Halloween words, etc.). I print these out for my kiddos also, and they add them to the back of their word books for reference.

13. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

I think I mentioned this in another thread a while ago. It's slightly off topic, but every year I also include an anti-word wall in my room. I add words to this such as ain't, gonna, 'cause, gotta, mine's, and so forth. I always tell my kids to be on the lookout for new words that we can add to the anti-word wall, and they get real excited when they are able to come up with one.

Ain't seems to be one of the most commonly used, so whenever I hear it (and I remember to), I always respond by saying, "Ain't ain't no word," at which point the class yells at me for using "ain't" and poor grammar. It takes a bit, but they start correcting each other without me having to say a word.