Word Wall Question

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teach2Learn07, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Teach2Learn07

Teach2Learn07 New Member

Jun 8, 2009

Hi-
    This is my first time in the forum. Everyone seems so helpful so I decided to post my question.
    Here it goes: I just got a job teaching 2nd grade (very happy). I am ONLY teaching Language Arts, and my principal wants me to incorporate various word walls. I noticed most people use the alphabet to do high frequency words and also have other word walls as well (i.e. parts of speech, book words, etc). Should I have more than one word wall? Would it be too confusing for my students to have more than one word wall?

Thanks!:confused:

3. shortee

shortee Companion

Jun 8, 2009

I don't think it would be confusing. I teach 2nd grade--all subjects. So I have a math word wall, a science word wall, etc. I usually start my word walls with just a few words though and build as the year goes on.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

Welcome! I agree w/ shortee, you can make it work. I tend to like a WW w/ categories of words like Sci/SS/Math words, then nouns, verbs, adjectives, question words, ??? words (not sure which category), etc. Be sure to include Multiple Meaning Words as a category as that is important in 2nd grade.

Congrats on the job, too! Enjoy!

5. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 9, 2009

When I taught 4th this year I had a word wall for math, science, social studies, and language. I added new words each week and at the end of the nine weeks took the entire word wall down and started over. I had to do this because I didn't have enough room to keep all the words up.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 9, 2009

Typically, a word wall is in alpha order. We do that for our regular word wall. We also have a mini-word wall for each content area using vocabulary for that quarter. It is not in alpha order, but instead is organized by units -- for example, if geometry is the subject in math right now, then cube, sphere, rectangular prism, pyramid, and cylinder might be grouped together on the content word wall.

I think it is more important what you do with your word wall. For our standard word wall -- I add 5 words per week. I already have them selected for the year but may add one or two if they are problem words in writing. Each day, I have two word wall riddles in my morning work. For example, "I am not first, and am _____" I rhyme with fast. (The answer is "last.") The purpose of the word wall riddles is to get the kids actually looking at it and using it. You can also do word wall riddles based on the way words look (whole language) -- for example, "I have one tall letter and two letters with descenders. [That narrows it down, but there still may be multiple correct answers.} I start with a vowel. {That narrows it down to just two words.} I'm red, and round, and crunchy to eat. What am I?" Now everyone realizes it is "apple."

7. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

i dont do word walls, but i do a spotlight on spelling- a pocket chart with index cards of the weeks spelling words- everytime they find a spelling word in reading something they can add it to the chart...i also do a pocket chart for compound words, homonyms and synonyms

while in student teaching my second grade mentor teacher had word walls for every subject and a high frequency word wall, the kids used it regularly to double check themselves

8. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jun 22, 2009

I have one word wall, with a word wall key next to it. Language Arts words are on pink sentence strips, math words are blue, social studies are orange, science are yellow, and high frequency are white. I also use a separate chalkboard for our story vocabulary words; the words on the word wall are selected because they are words the children may need to use in their writing.

9. Annie

Annie New Member

Jun 22, 2009

My main word wall is for high-frequency words. The words are laminated and big so that everyone can see them from their desks. To get the most out of word walls you will need to work with them. I use them in a literacy center and we play games with them. I introduce 5 words a week and I read in a book that you should not have more than 100 by the end of the year. I have a good word wall book, but it is at school and I cannot think of the author. You can also buy word wall sets for your grade level, but it may not completely match the words you will be using. I also have a thematic words on a chart and a small math word wall. We are required to have word walls and it makes sense, but when we are pressed for time my word wall activities get lost. You have reminded me that I need to make sure we use them.

10. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

I teach first (all subjects) and have word walls for each subject area. I use a lot of pictures with mine, especially since the students are young AND most are ELL. Even with LA only, you could do word cards with the strategies you're learning - I did ones like "schema," "connection," etc.

11. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

If anyone knows of any great word walls that are already laminated and ready to go let me know!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 30, 2009

I have one that goes along with Harcourt Trophies for 2nd grade -- not laminated and ready to go, but ready to print on card stock and laminate. It goes along directly with their curriculum, so you can use the weekly word wall riddles and word wall activities directly from the teacher's edition. Send me a pm if you want it.