Word Wall Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsDeb, Aug 9, 2012.

1. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

In the past, I've had my classroom word walls (using vocabulary words) by subject - one for math, one for reading, science, etc. It takes up so much room! Can I make ONE word wall and put all the words together? Maybe color-code by subject?
    How do you do it?
    :thanks:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2012

That's what I do and I do color-code it, although sometimes I feel it's a waste of time. When a kid is looking for a word I don't think they should have to stop and think--wait what subject is this considered, I'm just happy they use them in their writing.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2012

Unfortunately, I don't have room for a cumulative "word wall" of any kind. I have 1 BB that I use for current ELA material/words, and 1 that I use for current Math information/words. The last BB is for Calendar Math. I use a corner of my dry erase board for Science & SS words. Now I have to find room for "I Can" statements (CCSS), too.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 9, 2012

Could you just use the small pocket charts from target ($1 each) and put 4 different color ones together. It would be the size of 1 large poster. Then write your words on either sentence strips (regular or dry erase) or index cards?

This may still be more room then you want to set aside. Maybe you can even put magnets on the pocket charts so you can pull them down whenever you need the space for something else. They sell paint to make any surface magnetic.

6. DruOct9

DruOct9 Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

Color coding is a great idea! Maybe make a poster with 3 columns?

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

I would love to color code but my admins prefer one for each subject. My math, science and social studies ones are very small. Science and social studies ones only have words up that are relevant to our current unit. The math one is on a small corner of the wall, science and social studies are incorporated to the bulletin boards for those subjects. (I'm lucky to have A LOT of board space in my room.)

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

I think it's best to have the apart. The content areas can be done with an anchor chart that changes out though.

9. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions! I just want to make sure that the words are accessible. I'm going to work on my room today and think this through with my teammates!