word wall question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by flowerpower31, Jul 19, 2010.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

I've asked about word walls before, so I apologize for the repetitive stuff. I'm wondering, though, if you can explain to me the "timeline" for a word wall. Basically, when you set it up, is it empty? Do you add a word a week? How do you decide which words to put up when? Do you just put them up or do you involve the kids more? Sorry for all the questions; I've never done a word wall before. :unsure:

3. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

It depends on which word wall word you have or will use. I will be using the four blocks word wall for 3rd grade, and in the month-by-month phonics book it tells me which words to use. This will be my first year doing 3rd grade. I spent 3 years in 2nd grade, again using four blocks word wall but I chose my words (5 a week). Some of these words were pattern words (ex: car-students can also spell star, far, tar, bar, jar) usually 1-2 of the 5 words were pattern words. What I would do is 2 things, I would first have a list of all the words that would go on my word wall. Then, as I would read through the main reading story each week, I would choose the 5 words that were most frequent and use those-that way they can see the word in a reading context. Or, if I noticed that the students were using a word frequently but confusing it-like because (they spelled becuz) it was time to study that word. I start each year with only their names on the word wall, since I will focus on learning their names the first two weeks, then add the words. Some people also use the fry words for their word wall, sometime it depends on what your school wants.

4. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I taught third grade for five years and used the Carson-Dellosa four blocks word wall with the month-by-month phonics book. It was great because it came with monthly words and activities to do with the words for each month. I liked selecting words the kids needed practice with as well. This year, I am going to be teaching second grade and I purchased the four blocks word wall for second grade as well as the second grade month-by-month phonics book. However, when I look through the pages I don't see a recommended set of words for each month. Is this why you chose to select your own patterns? Is there a website that might have the monthly set of words for second grade?

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

We have a list of grade level word wall words that are up at the beginning of the year. There are 145 words that we expect students to know and use correctly. We decided to use the words from Systematic Sequential Phonics They Use (which is a four blocks book-we also use the Month-By-Month book). We highlight 10 words each week (sometimes working with them for 2 weeks). New words are words we find that are class specific. Words that students are using incorrectly in their writing or are seasonal.

6. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Yes, that is why I chose my words. There are some websites out there that have word wall words, but they usually mixed in fry words but I thought that was too confusing. As you can tell, it is going to be different for me having a set of words picked for me and you having to choose your own words.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I see you are in 1st grade. When I taught 1st, I started the year with the wall blank, but on the 1st day or 2 did some activities with their names and added them to the board. Next, we would add sight words...usually about 5 a week.

8. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

Thanks, everyone!

iheartrecess, what kinds of activities did you do?

9. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

I like using the word wall to incorporate first day stuff, like names. This way you could use the wall to go over grammar like nouns, verbs, etc.