Word Wall problem

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cheer, Jun 29, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I have been teaching for 4 years in this one school and I have had problems with where my WWW would go. The first problem was I needed a ladder to hang a word:eek: Then my room got changed to a very small room with NO wall space.(windows,doors,blackboad, and hooks cover every wall) I then decided to try the file card box method. Each child would have a file card box in their desk. Each monday they would add their new WWW to the box. This was great to teach alpha. order but some student wouldnt do it and they NEVER refered to it. I need an idea on how to display the WWW. Our spelling list uses 3 high frequency words each week. What if I just put them on a small space under the board and placed the other words on a rolodex to use if they need it. Does this make sense? I need help solving this issue.

3. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 29, 2007

Could you do it on the back of a door, the cabinets, or even the space above your blackboard???:angel:

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2007

I've tried a pocket chart. That way, you can post it on the chalkboard or even on the back of a shelf or if you have a pocket chart stand. I think you may even be able to purchase one without trying to put one together yourself.

5. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

ohh Im sorry I forgot to say that we keep all the words up all year so the list is huge! Is this wrong?? Should I not keep them all up all year?

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2007

I transfer some words to a "No Excuse" word list that they keep in their writing folders. That way, I can keep focus on new words. I have a "wanted" poster where I write words that I find many students are spelling incorrectly on a regular basis. I also have a section that lists vocabulary words that is on my focus wall bulletin board.

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 29, 2007

You should try putting them on the windows if you have a lot of them. I have another friend, and there are windows along the whole wall. She put the word wall on the window in a dark background with light writing.

8. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

i was thinking of using the mini office idea to create individual word walls this year.

9. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

??

Whats a mini office idea?

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

AWESOME IDEAS!!

11. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I use a pocket chart for our school's word of the week and there's a student generated word wall that I have in a low area of the classroom.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 29, 2007

I've seen in someone's pictures that they had pocket charts below their boards. They looked like they were cut in half and then stapled to the wall. That way the kids could take them to their seats and put back.

I personally like having the words on my white board. I use magnetic tape on the back.

Your kids can have their own word wall folders. I bought some from Really Good Stuff. You can make some of your own with file folders.

13. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jun 29, 2007

I don't use my spelling words on my word wall. Those are words that I expect them to know and that should be memorized each week. Besides, we have 16 words a week and that would make one huge word wall. ;)

I put up words that I see many kids consistently spelling wrong in their written work. I also put up words that they are interested in writing about. Some other words I sometimes put up are the month that we are in, holidays as they come around, vocab words that we are using in social studies and science, etc.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 29, 2007

On my spelling test I have words with spelling patterns and then some word wall words. I only put the word wall words on the wall. I keep them up all year. But I'm thinking about making a chunking wall for next year. 5 sheets of paper, one for each vowel. Each time we learn a new chunk we'll brainstorm words together, then pick one word to represent the chunk, and write it on the vowel paper.

15. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

16. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I went to a Reading Workshop over the summer and on one of the videos it showed a hanging word wall. It was basically a clothes-line type of rope hanging from the ceiling with colored file folders clip to it. Each file folder had two letters. They probably rotated words off the wall to have space. It was also mobile as the kids could take down a folder to help them spell a word. This may be an option if you have some vertical space to hang it. Also, it may not be good for younger kids as they may not be tall enough to reach it.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2007

The words were inside the folders?

18. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

We have clips hanging from our ceiling, and I was thinking of using those to hang posters for each letter of the alphabet and write the words on the posters. I decided against it last year because it wouldn't have been a great example of abc order (the clips are somewhat staggered) but I'd still consider it as a last resort if I need my other bulletin board for next year.

19. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 29, 2007

I use a portion of my chalkboard for my word wall... the words a bit smaller to fit them all (yes mine stay up all year) BUT - each one has a bit of magnetic tape on the back and the kids can come up and take the words to their seat - it's an interactive word wall - the kids use it much more, and I can SEE them using it. :D

20. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

wow

AWESOME IDEA!!

21. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

No, they put the words on the front and back. I think they just used folders so that they had some weight.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

In first grade we use spelling words because even if they learn to spell them, sometimes they forget what they know how to write. Our kids aren't phonetic writers though (deaf).

23. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 1, 2007

I made my own word wall... I purchased a piece of felt that was about 8 feet long and two dowels. I sewed one long stitch across the top and one across the bottom to put the dowels in. I put Velcro on the back of my words and they stick to the word wall. To hang it, I tied fishing line around the dowels at the top and hung it from the metal strips on the ceiling. It was very easy and simple to make. Plus, it can be moved around the room if I need to.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2007

Do the words really stay?

25. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

We used one of the science fair trifold panels for our "portable word wall" because we too lacked the wall space. It actually took two panels because we leave our words up all year as well. We put the words on with sticky tack and the kids could go take a word off the wall, use it, and then replace it.

26. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

hey, that's an idea. i use the trifold panels as room dividers. it isn't tall enough to be an actual room divider but it reminds the class not to bother the small groups while they are meeting. right now they're boring white. i didn't know what to decorate them with...hmmm...word walls or reminders might work well.

27. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 2, 2007

Yes, they do. If you want to remove them, they pull of very gently and don't ruin the felt. It's awesome! I think it cost me $15 at the most to make.

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

How big a piece of velcro did you put on the backs?

29. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

I have high ceilings (99-year-old building), which enables me to have a "Word Wire." I print the words on both sides of 2x3" cardstock, laminate and cut them out, then I punch them in the middle on the top and bottom.

I have sheets of laminated cardstock, folded in half, with one letter of the alphabet on both sides of each card. These "headers" hang over the wire, A - Z. There are 3 holes punched along the bottoms of the "headers." I thread a paper clip through each of the holes, and hang the words from the appropriate letter. Paper clips link subsequent words underneath. (If there are just one or two words starting with a letter, I hang them from the middle hole. If there will be a bunch, I hang two groups using the outside holes.)

Hope this isn't too confusing. I moved from a big room to a much smaller one with absolutely NO wall space!

Good luck!

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

What a great idea. I had forgotten all about the paper clip method. Maybe I can find a way to hang these off of my vertical blinds that take up one whole wall. Does your wire sag at all?

31. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

It really depends on how big the words were. Sometimes I put two pieces that were 1/2 inch each. Otherwise, I'd say anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch.

32. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 8, 2007

Once when I had a dinky room I put the word wall under the chalk tray. It was low enough that kids could come up and copy the word they needed. It was lower than eye level but it worked for me for 2 years.

33. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 8, 2007

A friend of mine used book pockets and pasted them on poster board. There was a pocket for each letter of the alphabet. She placed index cards in the pockets where she or the children could write words that they struggled spelling. Anytime a child needed to know how to spell a word they would refer to the appropriate pocket. If the word wasn't there they would take the card to the teacher who would write the word on the card for them. It worked really well for her.

My children use our word wall some but they really use the Quick-Word Handbooks I purchase for them. They are very child friendly, especially since they can write in them. I teach 1st grade so I bought the Beginning Writer's version. Here's a link where you can check them out. I've used them in 1st and 3rd. Very handy!

http://www.curriculumassociates.com...ndbook&Type=SCH&CustId=5632215218907080131093

34. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 8, 2007

What about the ceiling? For my science class last year I hung their vocabulary words with fishing line from the ceiling. They loved it! I have seen some classrooms where they actually taped posters to the ceiling!

35. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

wow I like this idea. Did you buy them or did your school buy them?

36. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

GREAT IDEA!! I was wondering if you bought these or your school.

37. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 8, 2007

I had enough supply money to purchase them last year. This year I will have to purchase them myself.

38. CBean

CBean Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Rainbow Words as a portable word wall

You could try using Rainbow Words. Take a look a the website where you will see some classroom pictures: http://www.rainbowwords.com/samples.html
    One of the pictures shows it being used on a music stand. It's a nice way to get the kids motivated to learn the words (you decide which words to put into each color arc of the rainbow and then challenge them to learn the words in each arc). It also allows the kids to interact with the words because they come with velcro stickies that you attach them with. You can let the students be the ones to actually place the words on the wall. The website is www.RainbowWords.com

Good luck