Word Wall Folders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clld2tch, Aug 18, 2010.

1. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

Good morning!

I don't remember where I saw this, but someone posted a picture of word wall folders. Its like a mini word wall inside a manila folder. If anyone knows about it or has used it, I have a question...Do you add words to the folders as they are introduced or do you just put the completed wall in the folders? If you do add them as they're introduced, how do you add them to the wall? Do you just write them in? Use labels?

Sorry for all of the questions :blush: I just really liked this idea for my writing center and wanted to make sure I used it correctly.

Thanks!

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

I use these. The ones that I made have all the words already in them, so we do not add any during the year. I usually also have a poster of tricky words hanging in the room, and this is what I would add to when we come across a new high frequency word that is not in the folder.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

I have the students add to them throughout the year. I have tried the label route when I laminated the folders, but my students kept pulling them up.
    I also tried having the students write on the laminated folders with special pens (vis a vis pens for the overhead). The loved this, thought it was very special and it didn't erase easily.

I have also just had them write them on the folder as we went. It can't be laminated, but did work out.

If you want to start with a premade list, that's okay too. Maybe have the students highlight them once they are introduce or put a sticker by the word after it is introduced...

5. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

Thanks! I figured that labels would be too tempting to a K kid. I think I will start with a premade list and if anyone has trouble (maybe it's just too many words for them to look through or process?) I can use the sticker idea.

Thanks again!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 19, 2010

I have these in my K room, and the kids use them all the time. I glue the alphabet into file folders, and laminate them. I add the words each week as we learn them-I just write them in with a sharpie. (The kids LOVE to let me know if I have forgotten to write the new word in. :)) The sharpie doesn't rub off, and the folders are sturdy enough to last all year. I just make new ones the next year.